Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design

Thank you! I will give that a try next go round.

o/ =^.^=

@KnightHarb1nger said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

Thank you! I will give that a try next go round.

o/ =^.^=

Same works for most content though, I can't recall any mechanic being non-dodgeable.

Hell, even DPS checks like Persona's big explosion can be dodged with step dodge.

@ZENCHI-REBORN said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

I'm mostly with you @Ki-Rin on this sentiment. Certainly lots of good helpful information in this thread to deal with it. Even the elitist SoBs that are either extraordinarily good and executing dodge and/or whatever PAs (Photon Arts) are being referred to. Or more likely they are fortunate to have obtained the various weapons and units. And either never learned to appreciate those weapons/units and mistake their survival as skill. To me its sheer luck if you dodge at the right moment to avoid which/whatever major hits.

That paralyzing shock was a "shock" at first for me too. And definitely sucks to be in that state with a One Shot Kill maneuver coming your way. Heck I'm so busy minding where I am and going I can barely look at the boss to determine this tell or that tell. But as one poster said. We do these things things tons and tons of times. Between good information from good people and gleaned good information from the arsehole elites. We'll get there. And ultimately treasure the friends you have in-game and enjoy the game for what it is overall.

Fwiw.

o/ =^.^=

If you press the dodge key at the time he releases the paralyzing scream you can dodge it.

Not talking about the fist stage of the fight talking about the second. but yeah just roll through that one no probs. the second pretty much just randomly hits with CC. which is annoying during the russian winds attack.

With enough skill and/or equipment I believe that. ;~)

At this point I'm trying not to incapacitate more than 10-15times during UHUQ Face of the Abyss.. ..90%+ of which are during that Phase 2 part of the fight. ;0 ;~~)!

o// =^.^=

@Ki-Rin

Ahh, okie.

o/ =^.^=

With enough skill and/or equipment I believe that. ;~)

At this point I'm trying not to incapacitate more than 10-15times during UHUQ Face of the Abyss.. ..90%+ of which are during that Phase 2 part of the fight. ;0 ;~~)!

o// =^.^=

Nah, equipment is 100% secondary.

I don't even have the so called "godunits" and me and a friend did UH face of the abyss in 39 minutes. Duo, 2/12 party.

@Ki-Rin said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

@ZENCHI-REBORN said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

I'm mostly with you @Ki-Rin on this sentiment. Certainly lots of good helpful information in this thread to deal with it. Even the elitist SoBs that are either extraordinarily good and executing dodge and/or whatever PAs (Photon Arts) are being referred to. Or more likely they are fortunate to have obtained the various weapons and units. And either never learned to appreciate those weapons/units and mistake their survival as skill. To me its sheer luck if you dodge at the right moment to avoid which/whatever major hits.

That paralyzing shock was a "shock" at first for me too. And definitely sucks to be in that state with a One Shot Kill maneuver coming your way. Heck I'm so busy minding where I am and going I can barely look at the boss to determine this tell or that tell. But as one poster said. We do these things things tons and tons of times. Between good information from good people and gleaned good information from the arsehole elites. We'll get there. And ultimately treasure the friends you have in-game and enjoy the game for what it is overall.

Fwiw.

o/ =^.^=

If you press the dodge key at the time he releases the paralyzing scream you can dodge it.

Not talking about the fist stage of the fight talking about the second. but yeah just roll through that one no probs. the second pretty much just randomly hits with CC. which is annoying during the russian winds attack.

Oh, but you can dodge the russian fury wind tapping the dodge key as well, you don't even need to hide behind the pillars.

Just find the timing.

@Milk said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

The mechanics just remind me of ffxiv so they felt natural. I did die my first ever run though because I ran the wrong way, from a red platform onto another red platform and couldn’t get off in time. It’s kind of fun now, though. Hiding behind the ice reminded me of labyrinth of the ancients or syrcus tower in ffxiv.

Fun fact: my husband and I ran that damn content so much he included it in his vows, nobody had any idea what the heck a syrcus tower was.

I think this is why Primordial became so easy for me after the first few runs. Sodom takes a lot of queues from XIV with it's ultimates, all of which have stupidly long wind ups and telegraphs to the point that if you get hit by them on your third run, you're just not paying attention.

But even if you haven't played XIV, the fight's still pretty easy once you've done it a few times. The boss is very much a traditional ARPG pattern-based fight, and it's super easy to watch the bosses' telegraphs and respond / punish accordingly.

@ZENCHI-REBORN So...what does all the other fighting that the game is filled with teach the player? Nothing? Only works if you die? If some moron chooses to ignore game mechanics, and if "facetanking" works as long as it isn't a one-shot, then the developers can only blame themselves for poor game designing. Come on, you can twist it as much as you want but it wouldn't be required if you couldn't heal everything on demand, including death.

@Yggranya said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

@ZENCHI-REBORN So...what does all the other fighting that the game is filled with teach the player? Nothing? Only works if you die? If some moron chooses to ignore game mechanics, and if "facetanking" works as long as it isn't a one-shot, then the developers can only blame themselves for poor game designing. Come on, you can twist it as much as you want but it wouldn't be required if you couldn't heal everything on demand, including death.

The game is as easy as it is and people still complains at the difficulty.

You can also dodge TPD's stun attack in the first phase simply by switching platforms at the right time as well. Idk how long the i-frames are for that, but I do often use that to dodge that.

TPD does no random attacks, It will literally do a big tell whenever it's about to do big hits, I play as fighter and have no issues with the fight.

Instead of making excuses learn the timing and behavior of the boss, once you do this TPD is literally a sleeper quest.

@Ryoga said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

@CIKI-A said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

If you think someone on a forum post trying to give you another perspective is attacking you

Read the responses, a multitude of them aren't just "well meaning people merely trying to give some helpful advice" but are indeed character attacks against the OP. Many of them also don't seem to understand what the OP was complaining about in the first place.

Maybe I should’ve quoted where he replied to my comment. I only meant my own comment.

And maybe you should read as well since I recall more advice than not in the beginning and OP decides to not even consider them, but instead imply their solutions are bad and not viable, continuing to call the mechanic cheap.

This is clearly not to seek advice, but to complain, so everyone else sees that and stops giving advice...

@Ki-Rin Simply put if you word your post negatively, reply to people negatively, the thread will be negative and people will “attack” you more often than not. But whatever I don’t think you care anyways.

Most these people enjoy arguing and proving a point. That’s why the same people live in the forums everyday.

@CIKI-A said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

And maybe you should read as well since I recall more advice than not in the beginning

I never said that no one was trying to give him advice, just that the part you were trying to criticize wasn't completely unfounded.

@Fattest-Leg said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

TPD does no random attacks, It will literally do a big tell whenever it's about to do big hits, I play as fighter and have no issues with the fight.

Instead of making excuses learn the timing and behavior of the boss, once you do this TPD is literally a sleeper quest.

I can confirm learning the timing to dodge the moves makes the quest without issue.

Heck, small form can actually be a bit fun if you play a dodge or counter heavy class. Even moves with a hard to see startup like the triple wind blast do in fact have a visual indication on the ground.