Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design

Just realized OP meant the first phase where TPD breaks the platforms.

So yeah, you have plenty of time to cure bind before it even goes to slam a platform and even then, you can tell which one it's going to destroy ahead of time if you see it lifting an arm up and behind its head (though near the end of the second section of phase 1, it will destroy all the middle platforms with its eye tentacles, but generally that doesn't come until after a round of beating on the toilet demon's central eye, which doesn't bind everyone) or alternatively if you see a hand lowering down to a platform, then you'll know that one will be safe for sure.

If you don't use one already, I highly recommend getting an atomizer fanatics ring, they're a life-saver.

If this was a single-player game where you could be done after 1 playthrough, or if you legit had no way to avoid the attack (like, say, Dark Falz's Grants in original PSO as FOnewearl), or if people couldn't heal/cure/revive for you pretty much infinitely (if they don't, it's either on you or them, not the game), or if your rank went down right after the first death instead of 5...

You're expected to run this quest at least 50 times, possibly way more. Making mistakes and learning as you go is a natural part of every game, despite what some new age YouTubers will tell you about "trial and error" being "unfair", because every mechanic in every game is learned through trial and error. The main problem is about punishment and, unless you are solo, death is just not a harsh punishment in this game. And in the solo mode you're expected to have gained experience with all the enemies in multiplayer modes already. And if multiplayer on the highest difficulty is too harsh for you to learn anything, lower the difficulty until you're comfortable with the quest.

Also, as people have said before, there's really enough time to cure yourself with an atomizer (even without the ring) and walk to the other side of the platform. If you're too worried still, get the ring and learn to spam movement PAs, because they trivialise the section completely.

I do agree, however, that the current balance with a ridiculous amount of crutches like 3-second long guard frames built into attacks, lifesteal, 1 HP survival skills and potentials, infinite PP sources and ease of affixing tons of HP and PP is fairly absurd, but a lot of it was added to cater to the casual crowd post-PS4 release in Japan (I include Hero and everything that came with it into that category), and one-shots and ridiculous amounts of mobs were one way to restore a semblance of a game when those things trivialized all of the old encounters

I put Persona Reverie on my Atlas units and now im dead, how could this be happening to me???

@Ki-Rin If you think someone on a forum post trying to give you another perspective is attacking you, what’s the point of posting? So someone can agree with everything you say? You know that’s not true. Clearly the majority of people don’t agree with you, but you defend your point anyways because you never meant to start a conversation, only to complain to people who don’t care about you.

The mechanics just remind me of ffxiv so they felt natural. I did die my first ever run though because I ran the wrong way, from a red platform onto another red platform and couldn’t get off in time. It’s kind of fun now, though. Hiding behind the ice reminded me of labyrinth of the ancients or syrcus tower in ffxiv.

Fun fact: my husband and I ran that damn content so much he included it in his vows, nobody had any idea what the heck a syrcus tower was.

I mean how else are you gonna get punished for tunnel visioning/or not looking out for tells?

@Milk Yeah I got big ffxiv vibes from the fight, makes me miss it.

You and your husband btw sound absolutely precious, I hope he also plays pso2 with you 😆

@Velveteer said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

I mean how else are you gonna get punished for tunnel visioning/or not looking out for tells?

@Milk Yeah I got big ffxiv vibes from the fight, makes me miss it.

You and your husband btw sound absolutely precious, I hope he also plays pso2 with you 😆

I think that’s why it’s my favorite fight now, it’s nostalgia. So many people back then used to panic and not hide behind anything, if only I had my White Mage Rescue skill in pso2!

Haha thanks. Yeah he plays but not as much as me, he’s excited for NGS, though.

@ZENCHI-REBORN No they aren't, since most of them don't include killing the player just for the sake of it.

@Yggranya said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

@ZENCHI-REBORN No they aren't, since most of them don't include killing the player just for the sake of it.

It's not just for "the sake of it"

It trains the player to actually time the action gameplay without allowing facetanking stuff.

I think it's perfect to kill the tunnel vision dps spam.

Personally I don't mind one shot kills as long as the attacks are well telegraphed in advance to allow for avoidance of said attack.

This post is deleted!

@CIKI-A said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

If you think someone on a forum post trying to give you another perspective is attacking you

Read the responses, a multitude of them aren't just "well meaning people merely trying to give some helpful advice" but are indeed character attacks against the OP. Many of them also don't seem to understand what the OP was complaining about in the first place.

That's the internet for you. full of "tough guys"

I'm mostly with you @Ki-Rin on this sentiment. Certainly lots of good helpful information in this thread to deal with it. Even the elitist SoBs that are either extraordinarily good and executing dodge and/or whatever PAs (Photon Arts) are being referred to. Or more likely they are fortunate to have obtained the various weapons and units. And either never learned to appreciate those weapons/units and mistake their survival as skill. To me its sheer luck if you dodge at the right moment to avoid which/whatever major hits.

That paralyzing shock was a "shock" at first for me too. And definitely sucks to be in that state with a One Shot Kill maneuver coming your way. Heck I'm so busy minding where I am and going I can barely look at the boss to determine this tell or that tell. But as one poster said. We do these things things tons and tons of times. Between good information from good people and gleaned good information from the arsehole elites. We'll get there. And ultimately treasure the friends you have in-game and enjoy the game for what it is overall.

Fwiw.

o/ =^.^=

@KnightHarb1nger said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

I'm mostly with you @Ki-Rin on this sentiment. Certainly lots of good helpful information in this thread to deal with it. Even the elitist SoBs that are either extraordinarily good and executing dodge and/or whatever PAs (Photon Arts) are being referred to. Or more likely they are fortunate to have obtained the various weapons and units. And either never learned to appreciate those weapons/units and mistake their survival as skill. To me its sheer luck if you dodge at the right moment to avoid which/whatever major hits.

That paralyzing shock was a "shock" at first for me too. And definitely sucks to be in that state with a One Shot Kill maneuver coming your way. Heck I'm so busy minding where I am and going I can barely look at the boss to determine this tell or that tell. But as one poster said. We do these things things tons and tons of times. Between good information from good people and gleaned good information from the arsehole elites. We'll get there. And ultimately treasure the friends you have in-game and enjoy the game for what it is overall.

Fwiw.

o/ =^.^=

If you press the dodge key at the time he releases the paralyzing scream you can dodge it.