Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design

the freeze wouldn't be a problem if you could break out of it. why they decided you can't I will never know.

I think Sodam is fun

@Ki-Rin then use freeze guard ring, at +20 it blocks freeze effect

@Ki-Rin said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

the freeze wouldn't be a problem if you could break out of it. why they decided you can't I will never know.

the freeze is incredibly telegraphed, just get Armada anti freeze timed abilities.

Just lifesteal lmao

Games will always give you new content with new challenges. Most people enjoy learning and challenges; that's why they play games. All of these UQs have mechanics you can dodge. And if you can't, you rely on other means to stay alive, which many commenters are suggesting. Something annoying to you is just another challenge for others to learn and combat. None of these mechanics are impossible to dodge. Even the "one-shot" mechanics.

One thing you can do is load up your mag with a bunch of status heal actions, which can help out but isn't guaranteed to save you.

Otherwise, remind people ( yell at them and insult their mother) that sol atomizers DO exist and should be used, especially since if a friendly etoile is nearby it'll actually restore some PP as well (also atomizer fanatics is probably one of the overall best rings to slot onto a unit, with the added invulnerability during the animation and just using atomizers faster). Learning the boss' tells can help immensely as well, even if you can't remember what each one means it'll still mean dodging at least one hit from a Sodam attack (if it's one of the multi hit ones that is).

If you haven't done much of it yet, I'd recommend doing some levels of the 1v1 ultimate mission where you fight masque. It really helps hone your reflexes in regards to dodging and generally learning the ins and outs of a class, though it will definitely be rough at first (alleviated by later 15* weapon series, starting with atlas ex along with each series after that gaining a larger and larger damage boost for the first 110 depths).

edit: That said, it's more the MPA's fault for not having someone toss out a sol atomizer when they saw you frozen, especially against Sodam where his ice phases have him deal massive damage to anyone not behind an ice pillar for one of his attacks.

bring back state/maintenance

@Cikia said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

Games will always give you new content with new challenges. Most people enjoy learning and challenges; that's why they play games. All of these UQs have mechanics you can dodge. And if you can't, you rely on other means to stay alive, which many commenters are suggesting. Something annoying to you is just another challenge for others to learn and combat. None of these mechanics are impossible to dodge. Even the "one-shot" mechanics.

I don't die continuously. no one does. I am saying it is a cheap mechanic. Which it is. You can all stop the attacks now.

It's not a cheap mechanic, it's very easy to dodge.

Heck, you don't even need to hide behind the pillars if you time your dodges right it doesn't hit you.

There's absolutely 0 things in the game causing a 100% death, not even Shiva's counter does that.

@ZENCHI-REBORN said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

The "p2 ice attack OHKO" was not what the OP was complaining about.

There's absolutely 0 things in the game causing a 100% death

The platform breaking in TPD p1 is.

@Ryoga said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

The "p2 ice attack OHKO" was not what the OP was complaining about.

There's absolutely 0 things in the game causing a 100% death

The platform breaking in TPD p1 is.

It's impossible to be hit by that unless you AFK or die intentionally.

Regardless of anyone's thoughts about it, we'll probably be safe from it in New Genesis... for a while. This feels like the sort of thing where power creeping causes an arms race between player perks and content threat.

Early days, everyone is (relatively) low level and the threat comes from big enemies whose numbers are high enough to kill you. Think the PSO2 open beta when it was a big deal that Luther on SH had more HP than on XH. Then classes improve and evolve and we get Iron Will, Dia Master, Overlimit Safeguard, Atlas EX potentials, √Čtoile's mere existence... not to mention ever-increasing gains in both defense and resistance. It's going to take more for new threats to actually be threats, you know?

So they resort to the kill combos. It'll probably happen in New Genesis eventually too, but it should at least take long enough to happen that we can become more familiar with the game before it starts.

@IAMCRAIG said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

If you haven't done much of it yet, I'd recommend doing some levels of the 1v1 ultimate mission where you fight masque. It really helps hone your reflexes in regards to dodging and generally learning the ins and outs of a class, though it will definitely be rough at first (alleviated by later 15* weapon series, starting with atlas ex along with each series after that gaining a larger and larger damage boost for the first 110 depths).

This is obvious. The problem with one-shots is that unless you have foreknowledge, you can't see it coming and will probably die. Next time you probably won't, but it's still pointless and stupid. Even more so since you can just avoid it to trivialize the entire "mechanic", so the only purpose it was added was to get at least someone killed, which makes me question what the developers who make this kind of trash are thinking.

@Yggranya said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

@IAMCRAIG said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

This is obvious. The problem with one-shots is that unless you have foreknowledge, you can't see it coming and will probably die. Next time you probably won't, but it's still pointless and stupid. Even more so since you can just avoid it to trivialize the entire "mechanic", so the only purpose it was added was to get at least someone killed, which makes me question what the developers who make this kind of trash are thinking.

You could say the same of any mechanic ever, that's just how they are.