Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design

@Ki-Rin

not everyone plays a scion, genius.

Dodge is universal.

Sodam is already considered one of the easier bosses, it is just a HP sponge. Attacks are slow, just about all attacks comes with obvious visual queue showing you the attack wind-ups.

In addition to the rings, you can also do added timed ability on units to be immune to freeze and shock if you really can't dodge them - sodam is considered to be the armada area - not sure what it is called on global.

What would be good design to make difficult content then? Phaleg - people complain about stun lock, Masquerade doesn't really do 1 shot until 999 but people still find it rough. Just the solo lv80 extreme quest and solo mother/deus trigger for expert matching already have people up in arms.

I said I'm bias on Sodam before since I climbed the 100 Depth solo Ultimate quest, which really requires you to learn all its attacks. As you go higher in depth, it's going to be hitting much harder than the Urgent version.

@HarmlessSyan

Except if you're this person.

This guy got rez and went directly to the laser zone lmao.

bd623935-a1b4-4b28-b46f-e1ba4c7c2a0c-image.png

sub et then

@Ryoga said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

And they are completely unviable given how situational they are, to compete there would have to be a combined one that also gets you attack and increased status infliction rate.

and what is the problem of then being situational? if you know the boss inflicts certain effects and you want to prevent one of the effects that won't let you react in time to survive an attack then is perfect for the situation also is better to not have a "never get any kind of effect and still have damage bonus" ring, most effects in this game can be prevented by a evade in the right moment or a block so having a ring that blocks everything removes part of the punishment of missing the moment.

@Jamesmor said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

and what is the problem of then being situational?

That it's not worth the effort, taking the death and letting yourself get ressed while wearing a ring that actually benefits your damage is still the better option here.

I have as an etolite subclass and I do not know what it is to die, so I do not understand the meaning of dodging:D

@Ryoga yeah no losing a part of your damage is still better than dying, when you are dead you deal 0 damage so in any situation is better to sacrifice a small part of the damage and being able to still deal damage than deal 0 damage until someone revives you.

@Jamesmor said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

and what is the problem of then being situational?

That it's not worth the effort, taking the death and letting yourself get ressed while wearing a ring that actually benefits your damage is still the better option here.

man constantly dies to freeze and makes his fellow quest members moon him

it's totally fine though because he was wearing a ring that boosts damage by 1~3% so his deaths aren't a problem anymore

@Neek said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

Except the situation the OP is complaining about generally only comes up once per quest (if at all).

Except the situation the OP is complaining about generally only comes up once per quest (if at all).

would you care to explain what kind of situation OP is dealing with that involves being one-shot from something other than freeze?

@Ki-Rin said in Cheap one shot mechanics are not good game design:

infinite confusion AOE puddles on that god awful toy UQ boss is BS

this is obviously the panic pools from the cars, every class has the option to fly over them with something when the puddles are there and you can see the cars coming from a mile away beforehand

not a one-shot by any means

BS such as immobile and even is you cured your self you are too late

this is probably the homing orbs on pd that bind, you can use an atomizer with atomizer fanatic ring equipped as soon as it hits you and you're completely invincible during it

the orbs themselves do negligible damage but you can get combo'd by the claw part, you are still able to use PAs, items and skills to avoid damage during bind if you choose not to atomizer for some reason so there shouldn't be an issue here

being thrown to the floor electrified the exact moment you click sol atomizer is BS

knockback from shock, can sometimes be an issue if you don't immediately cleanse yourself but the majority of classes have a PA with armor during it that can completely ignore the knockback until you see it flinch you and you can safely remove it afterwards

none of the things mentioned other than the freeze is a one-shot and even the freeze example isn't a direct one-shot because someone else in the area could potentially help you out before the triple wave happens, some classes can even survive every single hit

If you don't want to learn to dodge, then considering losing a bit of damage in exchange for survival: 1800hp, 2200 def, life steal + skillful adept will

Never die once since I made this budget combo xD

@Ki-Rin Maybe if you played the game and learned the fights instead of complaining about them, you would get better at them.

would you care to explain what kind of situation OP is dealing with that involves being one-shot from something other than freeze?

Why should I? I'm not even sure what you're trying to respond to here.

Why should I? I'm not even sure what you're trying to respond to here.

if OP made a thread for an issue as minor as this then it's clearly not a rare occurrence, sodam freeze can happen very often depending on run length

he was very obviously talking about multiple issues in his posts as well which wouldn't be all happening at the same time

the 'constantly dying' comment I made was referring to multiple quests, not just the one run