Please say it isn't so. New Genesis

Cocoons seem fine to me, a bit unfair to call them jumping puzzles when jumping puzzles a lot of times require much more unclear/precise jumps than you'd need to in the main game, but from what I've seen the most puzzly jumpin cocoon thing is one where you have to try to not use too many glides + can just be cheesed with gunner anyway.

There's battle cocoons too, it's just teaching you the ropes on how to play different aspects of the game. Wouldn't be surprised if there's less jumping ones in later areas, and instead we get ones that require you to break weak spots on enemies or something.

@Milk said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

Fuck.

I hate jumping puzzles more than anything. It’s why it took me four years to get my legendary in gw2. I once fell into the sky for hours doing one jumping puzzle! Please for the love of god, anything but those.

I thought I was gonna have PTSD but then I remembered that PSO2NGS parkour is a lot like Warframe's parkour and movement system.

I think we'll all be okay. Plus the benefits of this new system is pretty great.

However, this means the main focus will be gear.....

It's exactly as Theuberclips commented, getting skill points from cocoons were pretty easy. We just needed to clear the cocoon/tower itself, various sub-objectives were there for perfectionist players.

Yet that's only what we saw on the beta test. The released NGS might have something else in store. So if you hate to see these jumping puzzles in the future NGS contents, make sure to join the global CBT and send in negative comments on these. I DID for JP CBT2 😁

3D platforming puzzles to gain skill points? Are they trying to tank NGS before it even gets going?

As for negative comments, I mainly have the story to complain about, in that it seems completely disconnected from PSO2.

@BloodyKyona We don't know any of the story in NGS as of now.

@BloodyKyona Cocoons are short and simple quests that teach the basics of the game, such as the new movement features (thus the platforming cocoons) and also battle oriented ones.

@MoonRunestar said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

The Great Wall Tower quest is more like an obstacle course and enemy gauntlet rolled into one, not unlike Time Attack quests in PSO2. This video shows it off well.

Gotta admit I'm really quite liking how this is looking. And I can see why Perfect (Just) Attacks have been nixed.

@MoonRunestar said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

The Great Wall Tower quest is more like an obstacle course and enemy gauntlet rolled into one, not unlike Time Attack quests in PSO2. This video shows it off well. As you progress, the platforming challenges between each encounter become more complex and build off of each other.

Plus there's more than one way to finish the great wall quest, the platforming segments are mostly skippable in that quest (defeating the enemies in the ground opens the ground routes, while going through the ground route doesn't clear the side objectives, those aren't needed to get the skill points).

I feel the need to post some things that I know from watching a lot of the CBT footage on youtube. I have not been able to play NGS in any capacity myself, but I know all of the following is correct.

1. To get the skill point from the cocoon, you only have to complete it once. Period. Completing it that first time unlocks a skill point to be spent for all of your classes. (NOT just the class that you were playing when you completed the cocoon.)

2. Cocoons are NOT just jumping puzzles and platforming. Over half of them are combat tests or offer an option path that bypasses all platforming in favor of combat.

3. Skill points are less numerous than PSO2 classic. You'll need less than 10 points to max out what is currently every class skill tree. This means Cocoons aren't a large focus of the game. They're more tutorials that you find and do once and then don't return to unless you want to try for a better time/score.

You can't be serious when you compare gw2's jank movement and delayed jumping to pso2's ultra safe double jump, glide and wall kick with the added spice of an ocasional PA that gives you a bit of height.

@Aishtha said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

You can't be serious when you compare gw2's jank movement and delayed jumping to pso2's ultra safe double jump, glide and wall kick with the added spice of an ocasional PA that gives you a bit of height.

There are many dummy dumb dumbs who think PSO2 is a fake action game like B&S/Tera/Black Desert/GW2. These also tend to be VERY bad at the game :^)

@Shirokami This makes me think, the whole schtick of marketing this game as an MMORPG is a massive mistake. In Japan it makes sense, since they have an escapist culture and stuff, but in the West the first thing that comes to an average person's mind when they hear "MMO" is this968e7e93-68c4-4cb8-84dd-d75b95015a68-изображение.png

As for the actual core MMO audience, it mostly comprises of two types of people: those who play MMOs while despising them simply because they're the closest thing to their perfect Ultima Online remake that'd take them back to the times before WoW ruined everything, and those who are extremely dependant on level bars, random drops and random people just existing around and being aware of their grind for their dopamine injections instead of actual gameplay.

These MMO fans only think in their MMO framework and a lot of them, looking at the PSO2 (and also NGS) footage on YouTube or playing it for 10 minutes, think it's a repetitive game that takes no skill, or that it's super clunky because you can't run around at full speed while swinging your sword, or that it's outdated because it's TAB TARGET like they've never heard of Legend of Zelda, or Dark Souls, or any console hack&slash game

@uB Fun fact, Sega never calls the game an MMO.

@Vashzaron Now that I check PSO2Global YouTube and Twitter, yeah, looks like they're using "online RPG" and "online action RPG" most of the time. They still called PSO, PSU and PSO2 at least in early days MMOs in Japan, but w/e. I think they made a mistake in one of the 2019 interviews or something, which is why I thought this is what they went for.

Anyway, the general public thinks PSO2 is an MMO. It's covered by MMO content creators (often with really dumb complaints), game journalism sites like IGN call it an MMORPG (yes, game journalism, but wider public still follows them). Some other online action RPGs like Path of Exile are also mistaken for MMOs, but PoE devs went out of their way to write this diary to explain what their game is actually about. It doesn't help that the game is always online (unlike its predecessors, as in PSO you could mainly play offline and take your character online sometimes, and PSU at least allowed to make a different character for offline mode).

Regardless, hack&slash is a very fitting label for the game and it communicates exactly what people should be expecting coming into it. Weight, precision, studying enemies and your own variety of tools (even if the game doesn't really punish you for not learning it all as fast as possible)

Just a trivia, cocoons and towers are lore-wise training facilities for Halfanian ARKS. These two facilities are collectively called as Trainia (not sure what the actual English translation will be).

Also, some additional info regarding the following comment.

@Kragwulf said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

1. Skill points are less numerous than PSO2 classic. You'll need less than 10 points to max out what is currently every class skill tree. This means Cocoons aren't a large focus of the game. They're more tutorials that you find and do once and then don't return to unless you want to try for a better time/score.
  1. The beta test class trees being small (can be completed with only 6 skill points) was just because they were for beta, the actual skill tree will have more class skills. We can just imagine how big the initial class skill tree is going to be, but seeing from the fact that Hunter or Fighter class trees are likely to have weapon specific class skills for the missing two weapon types in beta, I guess the tree will be significantly bigger than the beta version.

2. The game system that cocoons and towers giving players skill points is, if I understand right, just a pattern observed by players of the beta test. I think there hasn't been any official comment on whether the cocoons/towers are the only source of skill points. So maybe we'll have some other source of skill points with the actual game release.

3. Regardless of whether there will be some other source of skill points, the maximum skill points we can earn in-game will have some limit. They won't make skill points as a farmable aspect. Then, I personally think the max skill points we can earn will be smaller than the skill points needed to fully complete the skill tree. If that's the situation, then clearing every single cocoons and towers will be a must for us. I just hope the devs set reasonable difficulty for these.