Please say it isn't so. New Genesis

I'm chill with it. Since all classes get all the same skill points you only have to run them once. Means future class additions shouldn't need to be leveled up to be playable either. So no longer do I need to sit in the gate area and spam exp tickets so I can take my character out into content. Leveling seems to really only boost your stats and what rarity of gear you can equip.

Which I like as well.

@Zeke said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

They're copying what's currently popluar. With the massive success of Breath of the Wild it isn't a surprise. Genshin Impact showed if done right you can net some serious money and players by copying that formula.

They also seemed to have copied Monster Hunter, but made it high octane action like God Eater.

We're seeing a mix of BotW, PSO, MH and God Eater. Should be interesting to see how this game fairs on release.

PSO2 has essentially for the most part throughout its lifespan has chased the current trend, funnier example is Magatsu coming out a bit after a certain series height of popularity.

If Teal has to do one more gold/rainbow key in Teal's life, Teal will commit moon base.

Sega did it because its fun. Try it for yourself instead of watching videos. Complaining about a game you havent played yet is the most Beta thing you can do.

@Milk said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

Fuck.

I hate jumping puzzles more than anything. It’s why it took me four years to get my legendary in gw2. I once fell into the sky for hours doing one jumping puzzle! Please for the love of god, anything but those.

You don't even need to S Rank to get your skillpoints. I don't even know what the requirements were, I got 3 stars on some of them and just didn't bother going back to optimize some of them because I forgot, though I did go back for most of them once I realized what I was doing wrong.

The Cocoon's are mostly just tutorials, which is a good thing. One of them is kinda hard to get 5 star on until you have gear though, which is the one I didn't bother going back to. It literally just teaches you about the infection cores needing to be broken and then you kill the enemy with normal damage but you have to do it in 1 minute to get an S, and I didn't have my potential unlocked lol.

Thankfully, the Battle Power system will help prevent that sort of stuff causing a rough time in Urgent Quests. Unlocking Potential is a very large portion of your power, and for good reason. 17% Damage is a lot.

Basically, just look at the Cocoon quest skill points as basically a way to force players to interact with the tutorial. The rank you get is for the people that care about trying to optimize and get that S Rank (or 5 star, whatever you wanna call it), but you don't need to do that. Currently, though, there's no reward other than a sense of pride and accomplishment for getting a high rank, you just need to complete it by what I've seen and experienced (but I never got below a 3 star, and never saw a 4 star for some reason either)

The cocoons are varied in objectives, so far they have parkour, enemy suppressions or a mix of both with the ability to choose*. Parkour one prob Teal's favorite.

They're copying what's currently popluar. With the massive success of Breath of the Wild it isn't a surprise. Genshin Impact showed if done right you can net some serious money and players by copying that formula.

They also seemed to have copied Monster Hunter, but made it high octane action like God Eater.

We're seeing a mix of BotW, PSO, MH and God Eater. Should be interesting to see how this game fairs on release.

Shame they don't copy PSO1 lmao

@Ki-Rin said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

what does this even mean.

I just mean you should not copy other games when you have your own franchise. never liked the additions PSO2 got like the monster hunter wannabe item use animations.

@NApe said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

@Teal said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

The cocoons are varied in objectives, so far they have parkour, enemy suppressions or a mix of both with the ability to choose*. Parkour one prob Teal's favorite.

i can't wait to clear these on my ddr mat while lobby sitters seethe with 1sp

Teal used a fightstick. It was really rough at first, but Teal got better at toggling the lever between left and right analogue stick modes.

Pso1 aged like milk. Doesn't play as great as you remember.

@Fattest-Leg said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

what does this even mean.

If I had to guess, it's a want to return to the dungeon crawler loot-hunt format, which is something I could get behind honestly. A to B set quest hunting is something I find enjoyable.

PSO2 has great gameplay (and NGS probably will too), but it's always had a really bad track record of what it wants the content to be. There's some good stuff there, weird stuff here and even I'm not sure what PSO2 wants to be, so I really hope they have a more concrete direction for NGS instead of just flinging stuff at the wall like they did for PSO2.

@Ki-Rin The cocoons in the beta are pretty much the game's tutorial, they teach essential skills, they're not only about jumping puzzles. That's why skill points are obtained from them, to give a reason for players to do these tutorials.

Example of one of the cocoons that is not a jumping puzzle, you fight a single enemy that has a barrier on its whole body, have to destroy an object on its back to break the barrier.

@Matt said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

If I had to guess, it's a want to return to the dungeon crawler loot-hunt format, which is something I could get behind honestly.

It's also the least thing one would expect from a game that is named "X2" but isn't actually a continuation of "X". Pandering to nostalgia only works if the thing people feel nostalgic about is actually there otherwise it just needlessly upsets many fans of the original (e.g. when Nintendo called Paper Mario an "action adventure" series) and it would have been better to just crate a new sub series for whatever they were trying to do.

Dungeon crawlers are plentiful now. You won't get a market since known franchises have set their territory with it.

The new approach NGS is going for is likely the best way to attract new players.