Please say it isn't so. New Genesis

So I was watching youtube plays of the beta and it seems you no longer get skill points form levelling up instead you have to do cocoons which is some kind of Guild Wars 2 style jumping puzzles. Why would you do this, SEGA?

Ye, Cocoons give 1 SP each while Towers give 2 SP each. The ones we have seen so far are these: https://pso2.arks-visiphone.com/wiki/Portal:New_Genesis/Cocoons_and_Towers

It's worth noting that all of your classes receive skill points when you complete these for the first time, regardless of your classes' levels. That means your Level 1 Gunner can have 6 skill points before you even touch that class for example.

Fuck.

I hate jumping puzzles more than anything. It’s why it took me four years to get my legendary in gw2. I once fell into the sky for hours doing one jumping puzzle! Please for the love of god, anything but those.

lol yes I got 100% explorers in GW2 I hated the mario parts. But it was optional. This is not.

PSO2 is largely a casual game, it being not optional as they contain something as essential as skill points guarantees they will always be easy to do and what I felt the experience was like already in the 2nd Beta from personally doing them. Additionally NGS has photon glide, being able to slowly descend makes precise platforming even easier, though one of the challenges in one of the cocoons was to not use it more than 5 times, but even if you did you still got the skill point.

@Ki-Rin said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

lol yes I got 100% explorers in GW2 I hated the mario parts. But it was optional. This is not.

I got to 97%, got severe burn out and took a long break, came back and they added new map areas so that 97% dropped to 71%. I almost uninstalled the game I was so angry.

I’m seriously never going to have skillpoints if these jumping puzzle things are anything like gw2.

oof! i did it before expansions so it always says 100% for me

@Vashzaron said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

PSO2 is largely a casual game, it being not optional as they contain something as essential as skill points guarantees they will always be easy to do

Exactly. In fact, in order to get the skill points you just need to complete the Main Mission in each Cocoon/Tower to get the skill point. The Side Missions for each of them currently are just for bragging rights.

oh that does give me hope. still think levels should give the skill points though.

With how Dynamic movement is in PSO2 in general and the addition of extra movement features in NGS , you shouldn't be having issues completing the CCs or Towers.

@MoonRunestar said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

PSO2 is largely a casual game, it being not optional as they contain something as essential as skill points guarantees they will always be easy to do

Exactly. In fact, in order to get the skill points you just need to complete the Main Mission in each Cocoon/Tower to get the skill point. The Side Missions for each of them currently are just for bragging rights.

So since it's skills meant for fighting, why don't you get them from fighting? Unless they are skills for movement or something, otherwise it's pretty dumb regardless of how easy it is.

@Yggranya said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

@MoonRunestar said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

So since it's skills meant for fighting, why don't you get them from fighting? Unless they are skills for movement or something, otherwise it's pretty dumb regardless of how easy it is.

You do. Two of the known Cocoons are specifically designed around combat:

• Wild Rush has you defeat 42 enemies as fast as you can while taking advantage of your new movement abilities.
  • Enhanced Enemy teaches you about the new enhancement cores found on enemies by throwing a single "Pedas Sword" enemy at you. This enemy has the core on their back, and your damage to any other part of the enemy is resisted until you break the core.

The Great Wall Tower quest is more like an obstacle course and enemy gauntlet rolled into one, not unlike Time Attack quests in PSO2. This video shows it off well. As you progress, the platforming challenges between each encounter become more complex and build off of each other.

@MoonRunestar Well that's good. Hopefully they didn't go too far into the jumping puzzles like they did in GW2, since some of those were a horrible pain.

They're copying what's currently popluar. With the massive success of Breath of the Wild it isn't a surprise. Genshin Impact showed if done right you can net some serious money and players by copying that formula.

They also seemed to have copied Monster Hunter, but made it high octane action like God Eater.

We're seeing a mix of BotW, PSO, MH and God Eater. Should be interesting to see how this game fairs on release.

@NApe said in Please say it isn't so. New Genesis:

skill points take skill wow.

cope

Another new account. Lot of those lately with trolls.

Anyways it's the platforming. Can't call it skill when it's dodgy with most games. It seems to be okay here with the levitate option with the speed the game gives you.