More active servers may not actually be better for you long term

Active servers sound good on paper. But keep in mind it depends on the kind of player you actually are.

A sea of people can drown you out, so if you have issues with anxiety then you would need a guild and finding a good guild can be difficult.

Larger servers have more people playing the game, but a lot of them are actually just lobbyratting. Still, in this area if all you do is queue up things and never socialize this might technically be better for you for speed.

But the bigger servers have a darker side, doxing, stalking, and a lot of anti LGBT+ and racist folks run rampant. Because the larger the server, and one without moderation like PSO2 is, it begins to cultivate into a hostile community in the more popular blocks. Be very careful of popular blocks on the more popular ships. Use proper online security tools and as word of advice, never use the same name in-game that you use on social media because people do like to stalk.

As for smaller servers, sure you might find harder queues but it's easier to socialize in because a crowd of personalities isn't drowning you out. Usually all (not literally but most) the toxic people like to flock to the popular blocks cause it gets them the most attention. So there's a nicer feel in small communities that I've seen in my times on MMORPGs since I've been playing them in the early 2000s and I have about 20ish MMOs under my belt.

I prefer the biggest server with the smallest room in my MMO’s.

My first MMO was good old Ragnarok Online in 2002-2003, I’ve become quite picky with the genre now after so many games and farewells. You want a healthy population but not necessarily crowds. For this game it’s difficult to do that because we just get a shopping plaza and a lobby, there’s nowhere to spread out like an open world MMO.

You need a hefty population for a healthy, bustling economy. You need it if you want to run any content that requires a helping hand. You need it if you even just want your game to last.

So many games have been shut down over the years. When the numbers fall, you start to find less and less people out in the fields or lining up for group content. As they continue to fall, the economy takes a hit. Suddenly there’s a monopoly on market goods, the prices become more absurd and broken. They sit there for weeks or months, there’s no one left who can pay those prices. Finally the whales leave because no one can pay, but they linger with their stuff for a while as the game dies. Once they’re gone, without a subscription base, the game is put to rest. It all starts with server imbalance.

Do I think pso2 is in danger of shutting down? No, but it doesn’t look good to a gaming company to see everyone flock(and fit!) into one server. It doesn’t help the players who can’t pay for a transfer to be stuck alone on a dying ship because everyone left to join the big ship.

It’s a tricky situation. The health of every ship is important but at the same time people are tired of sitting on a dead ship. Something needs to be done about this on the company’s end.

@Milk said in More active servers may not actually be better for you long term:

For this game it’s difficult to do that because we just get a shopping plaza and a lobby, there’s nowhere to spread out like an open world MMO.

This is most likely due to how Universe had dozens of disparate areas. Just in the main city areas there were like 5 screens just in Guardians Colony, 2 in Holtes City, iirc 1 in Ohtoku City and 1 in Dagora City and none of those include several separate instanced areas for their shops. Then there were a ton of field area lobbies to act as hubs in the middle of quest routes. It would've all been great if the game's active player count was in the tens of thousands so these areas would all be lively, but with the player numbers it got everyone got spread too thin and it contributed to the game feeling dead on arrival.

Since then I've been definitely on the side of reducing sharding and instancing. The more players are naturally funnelled together, the more lively the game will feel and the longer it'll last. I haven't seen what's in every nook and cranny of the one known town in Halpha but if everyone on a ship is in the same virtual block now I think that's going to really help. It'd just be nice if they could somehow convert it to a universal ship format before release so the problems of divided player bases expediting the game's eventual demise hopefully several years from now can be alleviated.

@Miraglyth said in More active servers may not actually be better for you long term:

For this game it’s difficult to do that because we just get a shopping plaza and a lobby, there’s nowhere to spread out like an open world MMO.

This is most likely due to how Universe had dozens of disparate areas. Just in the main city areas there were like 5 screens just in Guardians Colony, 2 in Holtes City, iirc 1 in Ohtoku City and 1 in Dagora City and none of those include several separate instanced areas for their shops. Then there were a ton of field area lobbies to act as hubs in the middle of quest routes. It would've all been great if the game's active player count was in the tens of thousands so these areas would all be lively, but with the player numbers it got everyone got spread too thin and it contributed to the game feeling dead on arrival.

Since then I've been definitely on the side of reducing sharding and instancing. The more players are naturally funnelled together, the more lively the game will feel and the longer it'll last. I haven't seen what's in every nook and cranny of the one known town in Halpha but if everyone on a ship is in the same virtual block now I think that's going to really help. It'd just be nice if they could somehow convert it to a universal ship format before release so the problems of divided player bases expediting the game's eventual demise hopefully several years from now can be alleviated.

I really liked what I saw in the NGS videos with Halpha feeling like a real city we can walk around in. It’s not too spread out but we’re not a box of sardines, either. I think a universal ship would be best, too. We’ve already seen the consequences of a playerbase divided.

@Miraglyth said in More active servers may not actually be better for you long term:

I really liked what I saw in the NGS videos with Halpha feeling like a real city we can walk around in. It’s not too spread out but we’re not a box of sardines, either. I think a universal ship would be best, too. We’ve already seen the consequences of a playerbase divided.

Universal ship would be nice but it will severely increase server load and could cause the server to crash without proper care taken. Also it would just lead to a repeat of the I won't play till Ship 4 is open fiasco which btw I thought was silly since you are willing to rob yourself of playing this great game just because you want a fresh start economy that will become ruined by people transferring anyways.

@YagyuChan said in More active servers may not actually be better for you long term:

Universal ship would be nice but it will severely increase server load

Why? What contributes to active load is the communication between a server and a player. Position, movement, speech, interaction with objects, menus and characters.

Reference to a player's saved data itself is a small portion of that and there really won't be a capacity issue there, so player data could be retained on a single server (if it isn't already) that multiple game servers hosting x blocks each could reference when necessary. That way the load is distributed between data and game servers without permanently separating portions of the player base.

@YagyuChan said in More active servers may not actually be better for you long term:

Also it would just lead to a repeat of the I won't play till Ship 4 is open fiasco which btw I thought was silly [snip] you want a fresh start economy that will become ruined by people transferring anyways.

They really aren't related, and that thought is very different now considering Ship Transfer wasn't possible or even known to be eventually coming until about two months after PC release. Fortunately the good folk of Ship 3 haven't been tormented by too many sightings of Xbox players flaunting content they've still never been able to get, but to comment further on that matter would be takings things off-topic.

Fine make an offline mode.

Universal ship would be nice but it will severely increase server load and could cause the server to crash without proper care taken. Also it would just lead to a repeat of the I won't play till Ship 4 is open fiasco which btw I thought was silly since you are willing to rob yourself of playing this great game just because you want a fresh start economy that will become ruined by people transferring anyways.

Ah that’s right...I forgot it would cause strain on the servers. Heck xbox players are having a rough time as is, that would be pretty bad.

You bring up an excellent point. Ship 4’s economy was straight destroyed after players from ship 1 kept hopping over to sell their wares. Why sell for 10m on home ship when those poor saps over on ship 4 will pay 70m for it? I hopped to ship 1 to buy the cosmetics for myself because I wasn’t dealing with that but new players already leveled and were home, so that’s just what they had to pay.

@Ki-Rin said in More active servers may not actually be better for you long term:

Fine make an offline mode.

I would be so happy if they gave us that option!

I forgot it would cause strain on the servers. Heck xbox players are having a rough time as is

That's not server strain though? It's just the hardware struggling to render all the visuals.

I forgot it would cause strain on the servers. Heck xbox players are having a rough time as is

That's not server strain though? It's just the hardware struggling to render all the visuals.

They complain of DC’s in Technical forum so I assumed it was server strain. Either way I feel really bad for them.