Please merge ship 3 with any other ship

@Milk said in Please merge ship 3 with any other ship:

Oh I haven’t tried risks yet, completely forgot about them! Good idea. This is going to sound pathetic but I’m scared to do triggers because I don’t want to stand in the lobby advertising I need party members. God I have an active life irl but a friggin’ trigger in a videogame gives me hives, what the hell.

Risk exploration? Tbh I wouldnt mind do them more with a full/decent dps 12 I kinda miss the old grindy farm a lil bit (just for a change of pace). Also things to do: you could always gear more, find new creeps, find ways to avoid those creeps, or perhaps become a creep. Triggers I cant lobby shout (XB1 is incompatible with B01) until my series x arrives soon anyway so I just start em and if popular trigger they fill (or nice ppl shout for you).

@Ki-Rin said in Please merge ship 3 with any other ship:

We are dying here. Please send lifeboat!

Can we borrow the lifeboat after you are finished with it please.

(tbh doing content isnt toooo bad lately, but low market stocks on some materials/ac can be a pain as always)

Regarding the ship data and merge and loss of said data: perhaps they could merge the ship data, so its unlike a character transfer and all pq/alliance/storage etc kept intact..? Is it technically possible I have no idea.

TL;DR: implement micro-services to handle data and instance-based architecture for the core game. Simply, "merging the servers" would cause many conflicts, it could be done, but would probably take some time to do. From Sega's business standpoint, it wouldn't make much of a difference anyway (they probably only pay for the data throughput on their servers, so fewer players playing means less data, means fewer bills to pay), so that's why it will most likely not happen. Your solution would just be doing a server transfer to another ship.

This happened with Black Desert Online. The solution is similar to what BloodyKyona mentioned. Currently, with PSO2's architecture, the solution won't work with a rehaul on player matchmaking as it is only server-based and not player-instanced-based. Yes, the arena and CM blocks allow for cross-server, but it's probably messy code and doesn't support all the data; there will also be many conflicts. If NGS is following PSO2's core server architecture it would need a full revision in order to achieve what some MMOs have done. As I mentioned with Black Desert Online, the devs consolidated all region servers into 1 continent server (per continent), but each server has multiple channels. The special part is, there are server events, and although every player is on a different channel and a world boss appears, everyone can fight the boss in different channels and the HP is shared across the whole server. In architecture, this is the bubble-up method. If Sega wants to create an upper level to encapsulate their servers and then have super servers, it could work, but it would be a bit messy since it isn't a planned-out thing.

If Sega was serious about this. An example. Sega can have 1 master database for account data, all the important things. Another database for NGS data and 1 for vanilla PSO2. Of course, proper Cron jobs will be in place and etc. They probably have some micro-service architecture in-place... So now instead of having individual servers to log in to. The servers can be regional somewhat for better ping or lag, but tbh the data center infrastructure these days is very good so there is no need for regional or servers like that.

I think, ultimately, the reason we have these ship transfers and whatnot, is because Sega knowingly created this dilemma so players could play the market or ship transfer when in reality, it's just probably changing a flag in the database to allow that server to ship the character is on lol.

Back to the solution, Sega can make it all instance-based. 1 reason for multiple ships is maybe they use 1 master database per ship, which starts to become costly with more load. What I think Sega can do, is probably have a queue system for data managed by clusters that later parse the data to the main database with multiple replicas. So, an account has many characters but is no longer tied to any server ship. Using micro-service with instance-based architecture. A player can join a channel, which will be created based on server status. Do you know the auto-scaling feature?

1 Server > Channel 1, Channel 2.

Let's say Channel 1 and Channel 2 are both at 50% capacity. Channel 3 gets created and a player can connect to it. We can use the pub-sub technique for routing data in-between. Now, let's say that so many players are coming on and we reach Channel 50 on the 1 mega server, and the server is overloaded? Then Sega would have to turn on another server? Not really. If Sega can separate many core functions into its own instance, and always replicate and create a new server node in a cluster, then scaling doesn't become an issue. The real issue is going to be the load capacity. I think solving load capacity, is only about upgrading hardware at the moment, which is also costly. Like Genshin Impact, iirc, spends almost $200m USD a year to keep their game up and running (apparently...)

Here is a better explanation, it is kind of what I'm trying to explain: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/231161154.pdf

FYI, this is also a big issue with BlockChain technology, look at the Ethereum network and the proposed Layer 2 solution. This isn't something that will be solved that fast but could give an idea of how to have a possible solution.

I forgot to add, that actually doing and creating this architecture I describe is also very costly. Unless PSO2 and NGS is making Sega over maybe $400mil a year (and consistently), it's not worth implementing, even if the game is F2P. Do you get it?

@Doom-Smack said in Please merge ship 3 with any other ship:

Regarding the ship data and merge and loss of said data: perhaps they could merge the ship data, so its unlike a character transfer and all pq/alliance/storage etc kept intact..? Is it technically possible I have no idea.

If it was possible you'd need to explain how. If someone's Personal Quarters (A) for instance is fully-furnished on both ships that merge, how can they both be kept post-merge? Would they be left with a single PQ filled with furnishings that overlap and take up 300/150 decoration spaces?

And when they selected to go to their Alliance Quarters, where do they end up if they were members of two different alliances that somehow both survived such a merge?

@Miraglyth said in Please merge ship 3 with any other ship:

If it was possible you'd need to explain how. If someone's Personal Quarters (A) for instance is fully-furnished on both ships that merge, how can they both be kept post-merge? Would they be left with a single PQ filled with furnishings that overlap and take up 300/150 decoration spaces?

And when they selected to go to their Alliance Quarters, where do they end up if they were members of two different alliances that somehow both survived such a merge?

So the issue is for when people have two characters they care about on the two ships to be merged. Hmm perhaps (and I have no idea on the technical restrictions) conflicting characters from one of the ships can be allowed to continue exist with its/their (in the case of multiple) own PQ/alliance/etc seperate (and give players the choice if the luxury allows). Essentially two sets of ship data for these items on the one account, so everything functions exactly the same way as now but on the same ship.

This wouldnt apply to everything of course. Personal shop for instance, this could be like you say for PQ and 'overfill' up to an in theory max of 60/30, whereby the player can withdraw items and sort this out at their leisure. Or perhaps return everyones items and give a free personal shop 3 day ticket.

Other than technical hurdles anything such as above would need to make sure no player has a significant advantage from this (any significant advantage to 2x pq on the one account for instance? maybe restricted to the characters pre-merge from one of the ships, good if the player can choose which ship to have as 'active/main' for when make new characters).

Just ideas. At least character slot maximum is already cross-ship.

Oh I haven’t tried risks yet, completely forgot about them! Good idea. This is going to sound pathetic but I’m scared to do triggers because I don’t want to stand in the lobby advertising I need party members. God I have an active life irl but a friggin’ trigger in a videogame gives me hives, what the hell.

Risk exploration? Tbh I wouldnt mind do them more with a full/decent dps 12 I kinda miss the old grindy farm a lil bit (just for a change of pace). Also things to do: you could always gear more, find new creeps, find ways to avoid those creeps, or perhaps become a creep. Triggers I cant lobby shout (XB1 is incompatible with B01) until my series x arrives soon anyway so I just start em and if popular trigger they fill (or nice ppl shout for you).

They sound exciting at least! I plan to get the better gear just for something to strive for, getting burn out with no goals. Thanks for the laugh! I needed that. Oddly enough I tried putting my main in that lewd Nei outfit and nobody bothered me, I’m just one of the bros! I prefer the cute fluffy clothes though, sucks. I’ll see if people will join my triggers without me doing anything, I really enjoy UQ fights.

Personal shop for instance, this could be like you say for PQ and 'overfill' up to an in theory max of 60/30, whereby the player can withdraw items and sort this out at their leisure. Or perhaps return everyones items and give a free personal shop 3 day ticket.

Holy cow, do you genuinely think 3 days of personal shop that Premium players get for free anyway would be enough to make up for having a room that's 300/150, a shop that's 60/30, a Default Storage that's 400/200, a Premium Storage that's 800/400 and potentially paid extended storages that are also over-full?

It'd take more than 3 days just to sort that mess out!! During that time they couldn't pick up any 15★ UQ drops, complete any potentially event client orders, finish any missions or claim any potentially-expiring Visiphone rewards. AT ALL. This is not such a simple problem lmfao.

They should give people free ship transfers! ;D

I’ll see if people will join my triggers without me doing anything, I really enjoy UQ fights.

You may have success in the new trigger block, but I haven't tried it myself yet. And, FWIW, I still find the solo Mother + Deus UQ fun (always liked the Deus fight) and the Ship Infiltration Ultimate Quest scales to the party so that's pretty nice to run solo too and has decent rewards.

Here's a link to the announcement about the trigger block as well as the relevant text:

"NEW FEATURE: QUEST TRIGGER RECOMMENDED BLOCKS!

If you've got a Quest Trigger and have been debating the best way to fill a group and get it done, then we've got some great news for you operative! We're adding a new Block to your Ship, where those who specifically would like to join a party to do Quest Triggers can gather! This way you'll know that those around you are all up for some teamwork! So form a group, get your Rare Drops, and get those Triggers done!"

@Zarozian said in Please merge ship 3 with any other ship:

Which as several others have already pointed out would definitely destroy their ship data so that's a total non-solution right there.

@Miraglyth said in Please merge ship 3 with any other ship:

Which as several others have already pointed out would definitely destroy their ship data so that's a total non-solution right there.

The only solution is for you and the rest of you to move to Ship-02! o 3o

At some point it's probably better to eat up the cost and spend money on transfering ship. If you intend on trying to enjoy the game with more folks.

The only solution

Hey tell you what, if you're actually okay with losing your alliance, Storage, Personal Quarters content and so on, how about Ship 2 gets absorbed into Ship 3 instead? It'd be just the same combined player base so the "solution" is just as effective, and since you don't care about losing most of your stuff, it's win/win, right?

Yeah, didn't think so. Stop trying to damage other players. It's getting tiresome.

@Zarozian The only solution is to keep things as they are now, since the populations will increase when NGS releases anyway, and start investing in the possibility of ship visits, that is, a system to allow players to freely visit other ships with some limitations (no access to storage other than a ship shared storage, no access to player quarters, alliance quarters and such).

JP had campaigns to bring players to less-populated ships. We got none of those, also no panels, no ship competitions (imagine how that'd go here), no nothing, it's like the game already got launched in maintenance mode.

Amazing how we got 1/10th of the age of the game but feel 10x more abandoned than the JP servers.