[NGS Global CBT] Suggestions to be less unfair this time

Sorry forum fedora, looks like that FOMO of yours is gonna start ramping up...

9d5ece1d-767d-45fe-8c36-7d53b4d6b6ab-image.png

Give him a couple of days to get out of his vegetable state

@Laep said in [NGS Global CBT] Suggestions to be less unfair this time:

looks like that FOMO of yours is gonna start ramping up...

Yeah I'm not too happy that Xbox has been excluded entirely. I've seen a few people say "Revenge for last year" and such but I really don't agree with that mindset. 😕

I've been spending most of my time since that tweet helping people on Discord work out how to set up the Xbox Insider Hub app in advance of next week's signups opening. I might make a post about that here too, to try and stop people getting burned by installing the wrong version of the Insider Hub app at the last minute or even after signups begin.

What catches my attention most about that announcement is it just says "those who join in to play" and "participation reward". If people are going to get unique content just for signing up, even if they ultimately never install or play the beta, it completely removes their purpose as a means to incentivise beta testers to perform directed activities or even give feedback at all.

This would not only undermine the benefit to the development team of getting testing feedback from Global players but would eliminate the only good reason for testing incentive rewards to be used in the first place.

i don't understand how they decided to start registration on the 21. but went with first come first serve lol. this will literally take anyones chance away who will be from a different timezone and give bots and multi-accounts an easy chance to make multiple accounts to sell on trade markets. the item rewards are my least concern, this however is just stupid. that and the windows 10 store exclusive bs. people finally could move away from this dumpster fire just be forced back to it. fire whoever makes those dumb decissions.

windows store

I can't go through the pain again.

First come first served is just beyond stupid.

About the PC exclusivity, I think it's likely they either just don't have a beta build ready for XBox, or because it's easier to test a single platform when the main goal is testing the servers. The JP version was also PC only after all, they're likely just using the same build as the JP CBT2.

About the Win 10 store exclusivity, other than the obvious MS influence, I think they picked this platform for the convenience of using the insider hub for handling the beta invitations (while Steam also has a feature to handle beta test invitations, it's a very recent feature that is still in beta itself, I didn't even know this feature existed until today).

I'm not particularly fond of the idea of it being first come first serve myself, this stuff should always be a lottery, despite that though I guess I'll just have to plan accordingly

Thank goodness I don't care about cosmetics. It must be hell for those that suffer with FOMO, it's like an addiction.

I'm actually somewhat okay with first-come-first-serve provided there aren't any congestion-based issues with signing up that do anything ridiculous like cause people from further away to constantly time out until the quota is filled. If the process is smooth and there's at least an hour or so before the quota is filled, then the fact we've been given a week of notice should allow the vast majority of people to book time off or set an alarm as necessary and be ready for when signups open to the point that if they miss out it'd be their mistake that caused it.

Of course if the quota is filled in 3 seconds or is mired by technical issues that cause people to miss out through no fault of their own, that'd be another story. And one risk of announcing the time in advance is we might see enterprising bots attempting to flood signup requests from the moment signups open, either to monopolise the rewards or to look to sell closed beta access to the people they prevented from being able to sign up legitimately.

The only other point to note here is that first-come does skew the feedback they'll end up getting a little, because it'll lean much more heavily towards the players who are most serious about getting into the beta in the first place. Whoever ends up analysing the survey feedback from Global will probably need to be mindful of that difference compared to how the JP closed beta selection was done.

@Ezodagrom said in [NGS Global CBT] Suggestions to be less unfair this time:

About the PC exclusivity, I think it's likely they either just don't have a beta build ready for XBox

Yeah, I noticed the survey just said that New Genesis was planned to release "in 2021". Between the JP new engine troubles, Global not getting it at all yet and a slower pace of news or hyping than we should really expect for the penultimate month of the once Spring estimate, I'm thinking they've got their hands full and probably haven't got to Xbox One / Series optimisation just yet.

On the bright side, and perhaps relevant to this topic, it's worth noting the announcement just says "a participation reward". They haven't - yet - shown them off several times or repeatedly called them "special" like with the PSO2 closed beta rewards.

Wasn't the pso2 CBT Xbox only? Now NGS will be PC only.

Guess both sides got something the other won't get.

@Miraglyth said in [NGS Global CBT] Suggestions to be less unfair this time:

Yeah, I noticed the survey just said that New Genesis was planned to release "in 2021". Between the JP new engine troubles, Global not getting it at all yet and a slower pace of news or hyping than we should really expect for the penultimate month of the once Spring estimate, I'm thinking they've got their hands full and probably haven't got to Xbox One / Series optimisation just yet.

On the bright side, and perhaps relevant to this topic, it's worth noting the announcement just says "a participation reward". They haven't - yet - shown them off several times or repeatedly called them "special" like with the PSO2 closed beta rewards.

The participation rewards are most likely the same as JP, cosmetic stuff like the stamp and the earrings, maybe.

About not having a build ready, if the EN beta is using the same build as the JP CBT2, that means that their builds that are actually in development (including the consoles builds) are newer builds than the beta. It probably wasn't worth the effort of making an XBox build of an older version of NGS for what is just a single weekend closed beta where the main purpose is testing the servers.

If there is an open beta, that one will likely feature all platforms, I think.

"If there is an open beta it will likely be on all platforms."

People said that about the PSO2 open beta and it was Xbox only lol.

The participation rewards are most likely the same as JP, cosmetic stuff like the stamp and the earrings, maybe.

Maybe I'm taking the wording too literally (especially considering translation being involved). I wouldn't have called what JP got participation rewards. Bumped called them campaign rewards for both CBT1 and CBT2.

That's the distinction I was making. If we get the same in-beta campaigns that are intended for directed activity and feedback, then that's fine. But if they're just for logging in or even just signing up in time without ever downloading the client, then as far as I'm concerned that eliminates the only justifiable reason for them to be used in the first place.

if the EN beta is using the same build as the JP CBT2, that means that their builds that are actually in development (including the consoles builds) are newer builds than the beta.

Hold up, did CBT2 have English language options available? I saw a few streams and recordings and the only players to mention English options said they weren't there. Maximillian Dood for instance said Sega gave him a cheat sheet for the most important menus.

If JP CBT2 didn't have English, I'm guessing the Global CBT will and that alone would need another build. Edit: Or a concurrent build with different launch flags or something, but if they had that ready for CBT2 why wouldn't they have allowed players the ability to set it?

for what is just a single weekend closed beta where the main purpose is testing the servers. If there is an open beta, that one will likely feature all platforms, I think.

I'm still hopeful they want our feedback primarily, otherwise why bother giving Global an open beta at all when they could just start with an open beta over here?

Considering last year, I'm not sure we can take it as read that an open beta would be any more open.

You're thinking of the tweaker. Pso2 NGS CBT2 was translated to some degree if you used the tweaker to play it.

@Zeke said in [NGS Global CBT] Suggestions to be less unfair this time:

You're thinking of the tweaker.

I was thinking CBT2 had no English support at all, so that didn't involve the tweaker.