NGS Partizans and Volkraptor

As someone who has used partizans in base PSO2 for about 300 or so hours I really hate how they're bringing Volkraptor back in NGS. Here's my issue with partizans in base PSO2 that are also likely to happen in NGS as well.

1. Partizans live and die by their Volkraptor combos. By that I mean in order to do optimal damage with a Partizan you need Volkraptor which gets tedious when your entire optimal dps revolves around 1 skill.

2. Because partizans are almost balanced around solely Volkraptor their upfront dps is far weaker than swords but are more backended in damage. Sure partizans have slightly more dps than than swords overall but it's much harder to get that dps increase over swords which are much easier to use for very little downsides.

3. Even though Volkraptor is the main form of dps for partizans it's still very much bugged in that the projectile will often disappear or go straight through the enemy tanking your dps for no reason.

4. Volkraptor is just straight up boring and doesn't seem to change in NGS. It's not an interesting concept nor is it interesting to use.

In conclusion I think bringing back Volkraptor will be a huge mistake and a balancing mess. It really shouldn't have been added in NGS, they should remove it and replace it with something more interesting.

I would say wait until we have more info about it. I was upset about limit break returning at first. Then I had it explained to me how it was different. And that it's merely extra damage instead of all your damage.

Similarly we got improvements to how chain trigger works. My point is they seem to be aware of the pain points with both gear and classes. So I think you're jumping the gun by assuming that it's returning as it used to be with no changes.

@Knight-Raime said in NGS Partizans and Volkraptor:

I would say wait until we have more info about it. I was upset about limit break returning at first. Then I had it explained to me how it was different. And that it's merely extra damage instead of all your damage.

Similarly we got improvements to how chain trigger works. My point is they seem to be aware of the pain points with both gear and classes. So I think you're jumping the gun by assuming that it's returning as it used to be with no changes.

It's probably fine sure but Volkraptor is overcentralizing and is very inconvenient for a lot of reasons so seeing it come back is worrying. What we know about Volkraptor so far is it costs no PP, latches on for longer, and has a nerfed damage cap and that's it. The problem I'm expecting is that every partizan PA will be balanced around Volkraptor again making them the subpar weapon they currently are. It would've been best if Volkraptor never returned.

@NotWhoUThink said in NGS Partizans and Volkraptor:

It's probably fine sure but Volkraptor is overcentralizing and is very inconvenient for a lot of reasons so seeing it come back is worrying. What we know about Volkraptor so far is it costs no PP, latches on for longer, and has a nerfed damage cap and that's it. The problem I'm expecting is that every partizan PA will be balanced around Volkraptor again making them the subpar weapon they currently are. It would've been best if Volkraptor never returned.

The way it sounded to me was that it pops as soon as you hit that damage cap, so rather than building the combos around it you'd just toss one every few PAs. I'm hoping that they find a sweet spot where endgame doesn't have it pop on the first two swings of a PA and end up being a net damage loss to use, but also doesn't make the weapon too heavily back loaded on damage again.

I would imagine it is the same case for how the Fighter and Gunner currently handle in New Genesis where when possible you will always want to pop Limit Break (which in function is a timed version of the Hunter's Fury Stance) and have Chain Trigger running as a Gunner whenever possible. Unlike the original versions, Chain Trigger doesn't get "wasted" if you miss your target or if you whiff because you get to choose when to start it and stop it with a charged photon art.

Volkraptor being baked into the moveset for the Hunter naturally like how Chain Trigger is baked into charged photon arts for the Gunner will definitely be a very big quality-of-life change because this means when you are able to you can throw it out when you want and play around it. I would imagine the "expectation" for optimal damage would be to have it on as you fight which seems relatively painless so far in a similar way to how the Luster has their enhanced normal attacks (creating that temporary field that costs gear to use).

@NotWhoUThink said in NGS Partizans and Volkraptor:

Ive only your statement to go off of but maybe from the sounds of it it's just going to be free extra damage like how chain trigger and limit break are. The nerfed cap probably means they don't want people to have to worry about frame perfect PA combos to squeeze the highest damage out of it.

I do agree that it sucks that the weapon is essentially married to it now on purpose, however I think Sega chose this to keep it "traditional" rather than reinventing the wheel. Pretty much everything we've seen for ngs so far is them rebooting their old ideas but with a modern take on it.

Idk, I understand your position and even feel it to a degree. But at this point I'm just reserving judgment until I can use it myself.