Will I be playing at a hard disadvantage if I refuse to ever hurt a Tame?

So I haven't really been following along with the crafting/gathering process in NGS. My understanding is one of the sources for materials will be the Tames in world. And in the video this morning, it said Gathering is hard tied to "weapon enhancing cycle" (Source https://youtu.be/-oEiNezv71c?t=2538)

Personally, I do my damnedest to avoid hurting any non-hostile AI in any game. And this goes even more so for wildlife. I like to treat them with respect and, where mechanics allow it, befriend them.

It's just the way I play.

Now, what I want to know... If I refuse to ever hurt these Tames, am I going to have fundamentally weaker weaponry?

I love the action gameplay in these games, and I would be rather put off if I'm hard required to slaughter animals in order to effectively participate in high level enemy engagements.

@jlisc0 The gathering materials related to weapon enhancements are collected with pickaxes, not from tames, if I understand right. Tames are used at the food stand (https://youtu.be/gUsd9cTipJw from 50:55). In this case, you won't be able to have have access to foods using meats as ingredients.

I'll join the CBT2 later this day, so I'll try to have a closer look on this.

As for me, if i could skip crafting altogether by exterminating every non-aggressive being, i would.

In PSO2, the crafting was pretty bare-bones. Perfect example: Create food by harvesting with crappy RNG to get the thing you need to improve you chances of getting the thing you want from even more of the same and equally crappy RNG (same because RNG is RNG), all limited by the time-gated stamina. Ugh... And this is just for rings.

@jlisc0 Unlikely. It seems that most equipment upgrade mats are going to be linked to the mineral nodes. Most tames seem to be linked to food creation and so you might be limited to vegetarian foods if you collect the materials yourself. If you really need a food mat you will likely be able to buy them from player shops.

Rappies (which are technically tames) might have capsules linked to them, but you will still likely to be able to buy those at player shops.

Alright, cool, thanks for all the info!

If there are personal shops in NGS like in PSO2, you could probably just buy the materials from players who don't avoid the "hunting" aspect. Heh, but if these "Tames" are anything like the Moa in Halo Reach, you'd be hard pressed to avoid killing any. Stupid Moas had a habit of following the player and running in front of your gun from across the entire map.

Oops, I forgot to write on what I found in the beta. @zaffy2005 Thank you for bumping this thread 🙂

Food type materials are used to create food items at food stand (『PSO2 NEW GENESIS Prologue 1』(12/19/2020)).

At least in JP CBT2, various food materials were not tradable on the N-personal shops (and remember, direct player-to-player trading is totally prohibited in NGS). So basically, we had to gather these materials on our own. The boost effect from food items last for two hours and based on the categories and taste types of the materials used.

There are four categories of foods, meat, seafood, fruit and vegetable. Among these, meat items can be gathered by killing tames. Materials of other three categories can be collected just by pressing "access" button near the collection point.

The taste type of food materials are defined by the item itself. Food items with the same item name always have the same taste type. For example, the apple item shown in the video above, always have "rich" taste type and "fruit" category (I dunno what each taste types are actually called in the English version).

When we create a boost food item from these materials, there are no fixed recipe which specify the exact number of items used (like what we have now in the original PSO2). Each food item category and each taste type have associated boost effects, using an item as a material simply adds the effect on the resulting boost food. Using more items strengthen the effect. For example, the video above used an apple and a certain meat as materials. The fruit category of apple boosts maximum PP and meat category boosts attack potency, so the boost food item made in the video had these two boost effects. The taste type boost effect only becomes active when four or more materials of the same taste are used, so didn't appear in this example.

So this went pretty long, but at last I can provide some answer to the OP. Not using meat category materials in the food stand means you won't be able to get the attack potency boost effect. At first glance, this might look as a greater disadvantage. Yet at least seeing from the balance in the JP beta test, the attack potency boost from the food didn't look that effective. Rather the max PP boost coming from the fruit category materials were much more effective. Using 1 fruit adds +10 PP, 2 fruits +11, 3 fruits +12 and so on. The +10 PP boost was so strong that it's almost a must to use at least one fruit when making a boost food item.

As a conclusion, banning a meat category material in cooking didn't seem to be a great disadvantage in the JP 2nd closed beta. But if SEGA adjusted the game balance in the future and made attack potency boost stronger, this might not hold true then.

As an additional note, even if the food materials are not tradable, actually we can get some meat items without killing tames with our own hands. As in the original PSO2, we can get drop items from enemies other players defeated. So if we play in the field with other players for a long time, we'll naturally get some meat materials as long as there are some tame hunters nearby.

Finally, in the CBT, there was one specific tutorial task requiring to defeat a tame and get a meat item from it. Maybe this will remain in the actual game too.

@Fiona-Respha I wonder if these food boosts will replace the "drinks" function, or just be the next iteration of the cafe food items (which, honestly, I have seen absolutely no reason to even bother with outside of completing the tutorial).

@zaffy2005 At least in the CBT, there was no "drink" feature in NGS.

A comparison of NGS food with drinks is an interesting point. I feel the function of boosting food item in NGS is much more close to the function of drinks in PSO2 original, just its duration extended beyond a single quest. Or maybe we can compare the NGS-foods with PSO2 boost items (like tri-boosts) or alliance photon effect. Aside for the fact that they both uses materials earned from "gathering", the foods of NGS and PSO2 don't have many common elements, Indeed.

Another boost giving element in NGS was region mag.

https://youtu.be/gUsd9cTipJw?t=2430

We throw in some unnecessary items to it and get some boosts 😃

@Fiona-Respha Yea, the PSO2 food items were pretty useless in my opinion. Too short a duration, not enough real buff or boost to anything important. I mean if you're looking for specific items while gathering maybe they'd be useful but for the most part I haven't really used ANY material items outside of enhancing rings or Daily Orders so I've had no use for them. Just taking up a crap-ton of space in my inventory "just in case" but otherwise I just spend the meseta in the shops to buy pre-made stuff as much as I can.

Sounds like in NGS it's more a "create your own cocktail" approach to the boost items, replacing "shifta drink" with direct "Power boost." You mentioned a PP boost, too. Any info on what other boosts are available? My go-to "drink effect" of choice (which sometimes costs tens of thousands of meseta to finally get it) is the Attack L with EXP Up (although if I'm having no luck getting it I'll settle for the PP Cost Reduction). If this new food mechanic makes it easier to just directly craft that combo, it'll probably save me a ton of time and meseta.

And the "Region Mag" I assume is basically an NPC you feed items to and it provides a boost effect for you while you're in that "field" or mission? Any indication on whether it's just for the player who "feed" it, their full team, or if it'll boost all players in that field?

@zaffy2005 said in Will I be playing at a hard disadvantage if I refuse to ever hurt a Tame?:

Any info on what other boosts are available? My go-to "drink effect" of choice (which sometimes costs tens of thousands of meseta to finally get it) is the Attack L with EXP Up (although if I'm having no luck getting it I'll settle for the PP Cost Reduction). If this new food mechanic makes it easier to just directly craft that combo, it'll probably save me a ton of time and meseta.

And the "Region Mag" I assume is basically an NPC you feed items to and it provides a boost effect for you while you're in that "field" or mission? Any indication on whether it's just for the player who "feed" it, their full team, or if it'll boost all players in that field?

Unfortunately, there wasn't a boost effect for XP from the food stand. This can change with the actual game release, but as for the JP CBT, the bonuses were as follows. The four food categories granted boosts for damage resistance, max PP boost, max HP boost and attack potency. The four taste type gave boosts for potency against weakness, HP recovery, PP recovery and PP consumption. So we could mix the ingredients to make a booster food to have a balance of our choice.

XP bonus came from region mag in the CBT. Yet this comes as a global bonus, activated when total items donated to the region mag from all players within a ship exceeded a certain threshold. The bonus continued for two hours, regardless of what you are doing (maybe the count goes down even while we are offline). So it was pretty hard to utilize.

I hope there's some more convenient way to boost our XP or RDR after the game release.

@Fiona-Respha Bummer about the EXP boost. Granted I doubt the drink's boost was all that high, but still, every little bit counts.

Kinda sounds like the Region Mag is sort of like an alliance tree that's open to the general public and whose effects are essentially "random" depending on what the current lobby of players are dumping into it?

@zaffy2005 The effect of a certain region mag seems to be fixed. But for the ship global effect, it's hard to control when the boost comes. That's why I didn't care much about that boost.

@Fiona-Respha Ah, ok. Hopefully they reduce the overall grind to balance the loss of EXP boosts.