Battle Arena (PvP)

Aside from this game mode being dead as none seems to play it, I have a fair share of an opinion regarding the mode.

• So far I enjoyed it, It's generaly thrilling to pull out dodged or perfect guards against enemy player attack, as in my opinion it is really cool PvP dynamic which makes it enjoyable.

The negative parts;

• The players do not have any choice on customising their PA weapon setup, and unable to choose their class (It's roullete based instead, really weird design), like why was this the design choice of PvP mode? I want to play the class of my choice, why I dont have choice?
  • The general lack of health or protection from enemy attacks; You generaly almost die from 2 or 1 hits, when you are stunned you have no self-defence options, you are a toast and you will die which is unfair balancing.
  • Since literaly the level 1 weapons already kill players from 2 shots, why the mode has level upgrading over-time? It's pointless mechanics and just makes the game about who clicks first the shoot button wins, again its really terrible game design.

Conclusion - The reason for the PvP issues would steen from the general game mechanics of the game, as it is mostly suited for PvE and Singleplayer against an army of enemies, I could understand it would be very difficult to balance the PvP aspect of the game, but come on, It's like SEGA didnt even try to build a working PvP game mode without the issues I pointed out.

I absolutely detest pvp in this game because I can’t just play what I want. Why spend so much time learning your class like the back of your hand if you can’t even use the weapon you know? It’s so frustrating. I usually get stuck with a gun and have to try another box, it’s not a good system at all.

I would love to see an improved pvp system in this game!

It would be really unbalanced if you could choose everything since they would have to keep rebalancing everything constantly and this would technically force a meta to play by. Not everything kills you in 1-2 hits, level 1 weapons aren't that all powerful as you claim only a select few are and they need to be that way for balance purposes for example the sword is a heavy weapon and is meant to do a lot of damage at the price of speed while the jet boots have a ton of mobility at the price of damage. SEGA has pushed multiple balance changes in the JP server prior to the Global release pertaining to the battle arena which means they did try a lot but in the end of the day it is a gimmick mode as pointed out by 99% of the Japanese community on the JP server. As they say you cannot please everyone.

I like the randomization aspect tbh, keeps things a bit fresh and also gives me something to blame easily when we lose. And as Yagyu mentioned, keeps me from feeling like I gotta use certain weapons (even though there's a few duds I hate).

Since literaly the level 1 weapons already kill players from 2 shots, why the mode has level upgrading over-time? It's pointless mechanics and just makes the game about who clicks first the shoot button wins, again its really terrible game design.

WRT this point though, not all weapons kill in two hits (the faster-hitting ones like guns / photon bullets from soaring blades) and it probably effects the health regen too since higher weapon levels give you more HP too.

@Milk said in Battle Arena (PvP):

I absolutely detest pvp in this game because I can’t just play what I want.

Yeah, I'd love to play some arena style "deathmatch" against my friends with our actual characters but sadly that's not an option.

@YagyuChan said in Battle Arena (PvP):

It would be really unbalanced

The question is does it even matter and I'd say no as fun is ultimately more important than balance.

they would have to keep rebalancing everything constantly

Except they don't, just give the "host" of the match the ability to create "banlists" for skills, gear and abilities. This would put the responsibility of "balancing" the matches onto the player while giving them more options in the process. No "rebalancing" required.

the true is that PvP is always unbalanced, is the nature of the mode and can even be seen in games that focus only in pvp have the meta changing all the time because of that and PSO2 pvp tried to not focus into having a meta however because the game focus in PvE the PvP was doomed to die from the start, games that have a huge focus in PvE ends up with their PvP content dying after all most players who enjoy PvP don't play PvE games and vice versa.

@Ryoga said in Battle Arena (PvP):

Except they don't, just give the "host" of the match the ability to create "banlists" for skills, gear and abilities. This would put the responsibility of "balancing" the matches onto the player while giving them more options in the process. No "rebalancing" required.

And then a group of friends who have perfected cheesing will use it to their advantage to win every game. Then when people figure it out, they exclusively use it to trap beginners in an unwinnable battle. You know, just another day in PvP land.

@Yggranya said in Battle Arena (PvP):

And then a group of friends who have perfected cheesing will use it to their advantage to win every game. Then when people figure it out, they exclusively use it to trap beginners in an unwinnable battle. You know, just another day in PvP land.

Which would be on them for joining the battle on their terms. Also, beginners being "facerolled" by the more experiaced players is true for pretty much every game that involves PvP regardless of how "balanced" the game in question is.

@Milk said in Battle Arena (PvP):

I absolutely detest pvp in this game because I can’t just play what I want.

Yeah, I'd love to play some arena style "deathmatch" against my friends with our actual characters but sadly that's not an option.

It would be really unbalanced

The question is does it even matter and I'd say no as fun is ultimately more important than balance.

they would have to keep rebalancing everything constantly

You are just band aiding the issue here which is the problem remains that the host with that much control can pick what they cheese best and enforce a meta on the people joining furthermore promoting similar type PVP matches. Balance does matter otherwise it will be unfun if for example the bow basic attack killed you instantly. I am keen to know if balance still doesn’t matter in that case? Put yourself on the receiving end of a normal uncharged bow attack hitting you from nowhere and you going from 300 HP to 0 HP would you enjoy such a PVP mode? I certainly wouldn’t and I would quit playing the mode if the random element is removed from it or there is no balance in place.

Letting people make custom rulesets in the name of balance would just lead to fragmentation of the already extremely small portion of the playerbase that bothers with PvP, and just make it die even more. It works when it's you and a few friends running a custom game server, but it doesn't really extend well when it's a bunch of strangers who already have trouble making matchups.

@Akonyl said in Battle Arena (PvP):

Letting people make custom rulesets in the name of balance would just lead to fragmentation of the already extremely small portion of the playerbase that bothers with PvP, and just make it die even more.

That would only be an issue if they used it to replace "the current system" which no one here suggested.

@Akonyl said in Battle Arena (PvP):

Letting people make custom rulesets in the name of balance would just lead to fragmentation of the already extremely small portion of the playerbase that bothers with PvP, and just make it die even more.

That would only be an issue if they used it to replace "the current system" which no one here suggested.

But this OP suggested things in general wrong with PVP thus encompassing the entire mode including the public matching for rank.

I just hate PvP because it tends to bring out the worst in others, it can happen in PvE too but not nearly as often.

I'd suggest it.

The current system is utter garbage and seriously unfair to people not geographically located in west-cost United States. The OP talks about how thrilling it is to pull off a perfect guard. You can only do that if your ping is lower than your attacker, or the server will be told you've died before your client tells it you guarded. And when that costs you mid, it costs you the game with brutal consequences to one of the only two modes in the entire game that punishes you for losing (with the other one being lost Buster points which is a remarkably tame punishment for how that gravitates to the 3500 cap).

Even with no rule changes whatsoever, having a match be hosted by one of its players means 1/12th of the time you're the host and have that advantage, instead of being at a permanent disadvantage for every match ever. It'd also be an improvement when the host isn't you but someone else who still happens to be closer to you than America.

Most modes in this game are abandoned because they simply aren't rewarding enough to be worth spending much time on, and that puts them below the threshold of anyone running them because there's not enough people to run them with. Battle Arena paradoxically has perfectly good rewards still (it is the single best renewable source of Star Gems if you maintain Legend rank) but it's still dead because it sucks that much.

The mode is bad overall but on two points

The level up system is in play to try to force players who are in their comfort zone doing whatever to go mine something again and this is in tie with the whole randomized weapon with a tied PA aspect.

I keep seeing people ask to play PVP with their own build, its like please think for a split second what this means and what the game has to offer when such techniques like Grants exist or just Summoner in general. As is with current PVP there is slight effort to even modify how current weapons work to further balance stuff if people haven't noticed, In PVP mode TMG rolls you lose height and it consumes PP, Jet Boots lock you from moving around while using shift attacks, and more etc.