Game crash on startup

Game was running fine 2 days ago. But keep crashing on startup since yesterday, no error message, black screen then crash directly to desktop. Find this inside event log

Faulting application name: pso2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6032803a Faulting module name: pso2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6032803a Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0000000000039727 Faulting process id: 0x4b48 Faulting application start time: 0x01d7195172ea260c Faulting application path: D:\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2_NA\pso2_bin\pso2.exe Faulting module path: D:\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2_NA\pso2_bin\pso2.exe Report Id: 73530d64-a878-40ea-ae4b-ec77da6cb445 Faulting package full name: 100B7A24.oxyna_1.0.7.0_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7j Faulting package-relative application ID: Game

Verification, tweaker troubleshooting, even re-installation does not work. JP version boot up just fine with new graphic update. Please help...... : P

Edit: 10850k, 1080 GTX Ti, 32G Ripjaw, Memtest pass no fault, graphic driver clean re-installed. No hardware or major software changed since last successful game boot. Test without anti-virus, and firewall, no luck. SFC integrity no issue. Clean boot, doesn't work either. completely out of idea.

Were any Windows Updates recently installed. If your PC updated to Windows 10 Version 20H2, that is likely the issue. It is also Version 2009. Something about that version of Windows 10 breaks the game in Global

@Ragnawind

Thanks for the reply.
You are correct, KB5000802 was found updated right before this happened. will try to uninstall it to see if it helps.

@KAMIKAZE-0 said in Game crash on startup:

@Ragnawind

Thanks for the reply.
You are correct, KB5000802 was found updated right before this happened. will try to uninstall it to see if it helps.

Looking up that update, it probably is what caused the issue, since it modifies how the OS handles security. Since you seem to be using the MS Store version of the game, it probably broke. That kind of thing may also be why SEGA is now making Steam provide all future updates for the Steam version, to try to avoid these issues with Widnows secuity updates. MS Store installs might need to wait until maintenance for it to work with that update.Here are the details on that update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/march-9-2021-kb5000802-os-builds-19041-867-and-19042-867-63552d64-fe44-4132-8813-ef56d3626e14

@Ragnawind

I just removed the update and rebooted several times, unfortunately it did not fix the issue. I am actually using the steam version, a completely separate version redownloaded by tweaker from the steam server, just in case.

@KAMIKAZE-0 said in Game crash on startup:

@Ragnawind

I just removed the update and rebooted several times, unfortunately it did not fix the issue. I am actually using the steam version, a completely separate version redownloaded by tweaker from the steam server, just in case.

not sure what the issue is then, especially since the error log you posted should only be relevant with the MS Store version, since neither Steam, nor Epic, use the MS Store package, which is that "100B7A24.oxyna_1.0.7.0_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7".

If you haven't already, you can try joining the discord server for Phantasy Star Fleet (linked on the PSO2 Tweaker website and app) and ask in their en-tech-support channel.

EDIT: It seems you may have already posted there. Anyway, since you said you downloaded the steam version, did you have the MS Store version before that? If so, and you use PSO2 Tweaker, you should reinstall PSO2 Tweaker also to get rid of the old stored settings and attach it to Steam. If you need to transfer data, though, you will need to get the original version you played on working again, though.

@Ragnawind said in Game crash on startup:

not sure what the issue is then, especially since the error log you posted should only be relevant with the MS Store version, since neither Steam, nor Epic, use the MS Store package, which is that "100B7A24.oxyna_1.0.7.0_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7".

If you haven't already, you can try joining the discord server for Phantasy Star Fleet (linked on the PSO2 Tweaker website and app) and ask in their en-tech-support channel

Ah I must've posted the one I tried to go through different version of global to see if they work. The other log do not have that particular line.

Faulting application name: pso2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6032803a
Faulting module name: pso2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6032803a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000039727
Faulting process id: 0x2c08
Faulting application start time: 0x01d719d2314c145e
Faulting application path: D:\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2_NA\pso2_bin\pso2.exe
Faulting module path:
D:\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2_NA\pso2_bin\pso2.exe Report Id: e466fa3c-7dce-4763-ae86-7fbfb986010a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I also posted to Tweaker's tech support, but I was not able to use the JIT debbuger they suggested for log due to access problem, probably caused by the same update.

Edit: The version I was using is re-downloaded by fresh installed tweaker. Luckily, I have already link all 3 version, and use Tweaker's MS store fix for 20H0 several times with different settings. Unfortunately, I am not savvy enough to get that debugger working, even VS2019's own JIT cannot open the log.

That makes it seem like your computer has a high level of security on it if you can't even use a debugger. If you can, you might want to reset windows 10 and see if that helps. It will remove most apps and initialize all settings, but it can be used itself to debug problems like this. If you want to try it, it is best to make a full backup of your hard drive so you can restore it if it still doesn't work.

@Ragnawind said in Game crash on startup:

That makes it seem like your computer has a high level of security on it if you can't even use a debugger. If you can, you might want to reset windows 10 and see if that helps. It will remove most apps and initialize all settings, but it can be used itself to debug problems like this. If you want to try it, it is best to make a full backup of your hard drive so you can restore it if it still doesn't work.

That's the strange part, I have set the UAC to the lowest level, and took ownership on everything in the drive. The debugger works on the test crash and ironically, tweaker's crash. Just not PSO2.exe.
I have re-download another copy through steam, again... And that didn't do anything which definitely put the blame on windows update. I will go ahead and backup stuff and reset windows. But I am afraid it might be another futile attempt.

Update: Its confirmed, the hard reset fix the crash. Its definitely caused by one of the windows update.