Sega/Microsoft you guys need to adapt your strategy and advertise by doing contracts with streamers/YouTubers.

You are not wrong. Sega is very bad at advertising PSO2. Most I have seen is a couple Facebook ads with next to zero engagement on them. I never see any decent sized streamers or youtubers covering this game either. It explains why it's dying badly. More people leaving than are coming in. Doesn't help any that we got dumb casual Youtube content creators basically telling people not to affix or play the game and just wait for free hand outs from campaigns.

@VoreTechz No amount of advertising is gonna improve the current PSO2 population, people are just waiting for NGS after all, I think SEGA should focus on advertising NGS as it starts getting closer to its release.

@Ezodagrom Yeah definitely. But I have seen ZERO NGS advertisements and no one outside the immediate PSO2 community is talking about it.

@VoreTechz Well, we don't even have a release period for NGS at the moment, I think there could be more interest about NGS from content creators once there's a release date (or an EN version open beta, hopefully).

Though, the official PSO2 youtube channel could have done more for the current PSO2, instead of only doing video trailers for the cosmetics scratches, they should also have done trailers for the main content updates (such as new urgent quests, like how it happens in the JP version). I really hope this changes for NGS.

@Ezodagrom Totally. Just posting micro transactions isn't really good marketing to new people. It might actually turn some people away. They don't post any interesting content to that channel. I think they tried to branch out a little by posting those newbie guides by Anamana but those were kind of a fail. lol

Problem is GETTING Sega/Microsoft to advertise NGS with content creators. It's clear they're trying to push out NGS during Spring.

They need to ACTUALLY try and advertise the game in current day themes if they want it to succeed beyond their initial playerbase.

They should be hyping people up about NGS. From an outside perspective the game looks shiny and new, combat looks smooth and the characters creator would appeal to many. You can’t bet on loyal Sega fans or veterans of the Phantasy Star series. There’s new gamers out there that were too young to get into the series but they’re grown up and have money to spend now. Why isn’t there more marketing to gamers in general? FFS fans on Twitter can’t do the heavy lifting, pay for advertising! Get NGS in every game magazine, get it on popular gaming sites, hell get Youtube talking about it from somebody the average joe has even heard of.

It’s really worrying that there isn’t more of anything out there.

Well when we get a release date I'm sure they'll start hyping it up to some degree.

Most games developers normally don't hype games until they have a date.

@Zeke said in Sega/Microsoft you guys need to adapt your strategy and advertise by doing contracts with streamers/YouTubers.:

Most games developers normally don't hype games until they have a date.

Most games developers normally do hype games when they have a date.

@Miraglyth You're saying the same thing as what you quoted.

@Ezodagrom said in Sega/Microsoft you guys need to adapt your strategy and advertise by doing contracts with streamers/YouTubers.:

@Miraglyth You're saying the same thing as what you quoted.

But I'm not. 😛 I'm making a point of excluding Sega from the "most" as they historically have done very little to hype Phantasy Star games even after they have a date.

And certainly not PSO2, which has now had four launches:

• The Xbox One launch was so un-hyped nobody knew about it until after it happened.

• The PC (via Microsoft Store) launch was announced by a private statement to a press agency and the task of actually telling anyone about it fell to the likes of Forbes whose announcement was met with scepticism since the PSO2 team themselves didn't publicly confirm it anywhere for a while.

• The Steam launch wasn't even included in the Episode 4 announcement but was the only one of the four to be announced in advance on the website shortly afterwards. This made no mention of the game transitioning from NA to Global, which seems to have been first mentioned in another private press statement and it wasn't found to have released globally on the Microsoft Store until that maintenance too.

• The Epic Games Store launch only made it to the website after the fact but it was at least announced direct from the PSO2 team to the public if only via a tweet. Unlike the Microsoft Store and Steam debuts it also appeared in the big main carousel on the front of the Epic Games Store which is more of a testament to how few games EGS releases than any indication that the PSO2 team finally achieved some storefront promotion.

That's... not a great record, to put it mildly. Which likely plays into why Zeke made this topic. We all want New Genesis to have such a great launch that it catches on and leads to an increasing number of new players. But new people have to hear about it for that to be possible.

(Edit: This post may read like a complaint, so I want to be clear that I don't blame the customer-facing side of the PSO2 team for any of the above if they weren't told, or were instructed not to publish any announcements.)

I definitely want to keep this thread alive as long as possible. They've shown to read the forums based on previous adjustments to Global. NGS really needs to be hyped up especially since it's going to be the first next gen game that Xbox. At least in EU and USA since JP will be getting NGS on PS4/PS5 and PC.

@Miraglyth Oh, it wasn't clear that was what you meant from your previous post, but yeah, their advertising has been pretty awful so far (as is usual from the western branches of SEGA in general).

Hopefully things will improve at least a bit for NGS. At least so far they've been translating and retweeting the JP tweets about NGS and doing the new info streams at the same time as JP as well, which is an improvement over the PSO2 lack of advertising.

Next stream is in a couple days, let's see what kind of info we'll get from there. If the EN version gets a closed beta at all or not, we'll likely find out there.

From how pso2 global has been handled it's clear Microsoft doesn't really care, from a business perspective it's kinda clear NGS isn't gonna pull any numbers either so the project feels like they try to spend as little as possible.

It's appealing to weebs so vtubers make the most sense. And SEGA probably doesn't care for global advertising.

Not to mention that OPs suggestion is awful because of it would at best get a couple thousand players into the game that probably quit right after.

Are you not having enough people to play with? I don't mind keeping things as it is.

@Ezodagrom said in Sega/Microsoft you guys need to adapt your strategy and advertise by doing contracts with streamers/YouTubers.:

@Miraglyth Oh, it wasn't clear that was what you meant from your previous post

Fair. 😛

At least so far they've been translating and retweeting the JP tweets about NGS and doing the new info streams at the same time as JP as well, which is an improvement over the PSO2 lack of advertising. Next stream is in a couple days

Tweets are mostly only going to reach people who are already waiting, sadly. I think people would like to see more advertising that would reach an interested audience that isn't already aware of or even playing the game.

Prologue 1 streams came a few hours after the JP version, if I recall? I think the Gameplay First Look one might've been live though, and if so that was neat. I'll be free to watch Prologue 2 so that should be fun to watch during lunch.

@Macmaxi said in Sega/Microsoft you guys need to adapt your strategy and advertise by doing contracts with streamers/YouTubers.:

It's appealing to weebs so vtubers make the most sense. And SEGA probably doesn't care for global advertising.

Yeah this plays into the interested audience part. I know there's an overlap but I've always felt was PSO2 was a game first and had anime-esque themes second. With reference to Milk either in this topic or a nearby one who hadn't heard of it until it reached Steam (with zero store page presence), there's got to be more it can do to catch the attention of gamers too.