Sega/Microsoft you guys need to adapt your strategy and advertise by doing contracts with streamers/YouTubers.

I like PSO2 and looking forward to New Genesis, but it's abundantly clear you guys are that good at advertising this game specifically. Microsoft is doing OK, but it could be a lot better.

You guys should really do contracts with big name streamers and YouTubers to try and boost popularity with the game. It's one of the best ways to advertise now. New Genesis will definitely benefit from it. If you don't get with the times you'll be left behind.

They are advertising a little with content creators. I think there's one or two vtubers who have done a handful of sponsored streams of Global, though weirdly they're Japanese which doesn't seem like the right fit considering the Global audience is everyone but Japanese players who have their own server. They're also occasional and episodic, which probably doesn't help much. If New Genesis' gameplay loop is more friendly to streaming a more targeted sponsorship or two should definitely be considered.

I still say it's also imperative they use whichever mechanisms are available on each distribution channel to get some prominent store coverage. For instance Update Visibility Rounds on Steam to get PSO2 on its main store page (which the launch of the game itself wasn't). New Genesis' launch would absolutely be a smart use of one of those.

@Miraglyth said in Sega/Microsoft you guys need to adapt your strategy and advertise by doing contracts with streamers/YouTubers.:

They are advertising a little with content creators. I think there's one or two vtubers who have done a handful of sponsored streams of Global, though weirdly they're Japanese which doesn't seem like the right fit considering the Global audience is everyone but Japanese players who have their own server.

The vtubers sponsored streams so far have been with Indonesian vtubers that talk english, and they play in the global version:

The sponsored Vtubers were pretty negligent and the streamed content would never attract anyone to PSO2.

@ZENCHI said in Sega/Microsoft you guys need to adapt your strategy and advertise by doing contracts with streamers/YouTubers.:

and the streamed content would never attract anyone to PSO2.

That's the game's fault though, the early part of PSO2 at the moment is pretty bad for newcomers, it's an unintuitive mess.

I think not getting huge sponsored streams for the current PSO2 is for the best (though, while Iofi and Hana Macchia channels aren't huge, they're not small either), and they should focus on advertising NGS.

I'm talking REALLY big names like PewDiePie, Markiplier, GameGrumps, AngryVideoGameNerd and so on.

Twitch can be Ninja, Lirik, Towelliee, Asmongold and more I'm sure.

Don't use money as an excuse since Microsoft JUST bought a 3rd party gaming studio for 7+ Billion.

This is a game that's more fun to play than watch. Starting with the very beginning can be boring, speaking from the perspective of a theoretical viewer. I imagine you'd want the streamer to at least be able to access UH EQs to really sell the game. A boss EQ, too, not something like Mourning of Demise.

@Zeke Huge streamers like those are just not happening, they're more interested in popular games, it would take an absurd amount of money (more than what it's worth) to get them interested in something like PSO2, and then their reactions just wouldn't be genuine anyway, since they would be in it only for the sponsorship money (that is, if they would even accept a sponsorship to play PSO2 at all, it's not a one side thing after all, it's not just SEGA wanting a sponsorship and getting it to happen, a sponsorship to play PSO2 is something these huge streamers don't need at all).

I think the most popular streamer you can expect playing NGS is Maximillian Dood (near 1m followers on twitch and over 1m subs on youtube), he is very likely to stream NGS (at least early on) even without being sponsored.

Sponsorship wise, there's maybe a chance that Hololive EN vtubers could be sponsored for NGS? Popularity wise, the current Hololive EN vtubers are all around 1 million subscribers or close to (with one of them having more 2 million), and they've already been sponsored before to play other SEGA games (Yakuza Like a Dragon, Puyo Puyo Tetris 2), plus one of the first vtubers to get sponsored for streaming the current PSO2 is from Hololive Indonesia (Iofi, over 300k subs currently).

@Onyx-Grimoire said in Sega/Microsoft you guys need to adapt your strategy and advertise by doing contracts with streamers/YouTubers.:

This is a game that's more fun to play than watch. Starting with the very beginning can be boring, speaking from the perspective of a theoretical viewer. I imagine you'd want the streamer to at least be able to access UH EQs to really sell the game. A boss EQ, too, not something like Mourning of Demise.

...If a game isn't fun to play, why would you want to watch someone else play it? I wouldn't ever watch someone play any game, but this doesn't make any sense.

@Zeke said in Sega/Microsoft you guys need to adapt your strategy and advertise by doing contracts with streamers/YouTubers.:

I'm talking REALLY big names like PewDiePie, Markiplier, GameGrumps, AngryVideoGameNerd and so on.

Twitch can be Ninja, Lirik, Towelliee, Asmongold and more I'm sure.

Don't use money as an excuse since Microsoft JUST bought a 3rd party gaming studio for 7+ Billion.

Of course they can pay for it, but that doesn't mean it would be a good investment. Wasting money on these drama queens is always a waste, and the fact that it can be a success sometimes is disgusting.

@Ezodagrom said in Sega/Microsoft you guys need to adapt your strategy and advertise by doing contracts with streamers/YouTubers.:

The vtubers sponsored streams so far have been with Indonesian vtubers that talk english

Fair enough; I'd only seen @play_pso2 tweets promoting the first two of these and the only times I'd crossed paths with either in the past was Japanese content.

@Ezodagrom said in Sega/Microsoft you guys need to adapt your strategy and advertise by doing contracts with streamers/YouTubers.:

@ZENCHI said in Sega/Microsoft you guys need to adapt your strategy and advertise by doing contracts with streamers/YouTubers.:

and the streamed content would never attract anyone to PSO2.

That's the game's fault though, the early part of PSO2 at the moment is pretty bad for newcomers

I guess it's kind of both. The streams have made it seem that the game isn't easy to get into but I wouldn't say the players' phoned-in enthusiasm has done much to help.

That's the risk with sponsored stream playing; if the player doesn't want to play the game, that's going to get noticed by their viewers and the endeavour risks doing more harm than good.

@Miraglyth I don't think their enthusiasm is faked, but it's clear that they're beginners at the game and during a stream it's alot harder to take things slowly, it's easy to miss out on small details, so the flaws in the early game design become even more obvious.

@Miraglyth I don't think their enthusiasm is faked

I don't think it's faked enthusiasm. I think it more lacking enthusiasm. I've seen one of the Iofiteen videos in full, portions of a couple others and small parts of a Hana one, and the general mood of what I've seen has come across to me more as "Yeah this is kind of fun". Like PSO2 is a decent enough way to pass the time if you don't have anything you actually want to do. In a streaming world where every other game is super-awesome amazing I'm just not sure this is giving off the right vibe to attract new players.

I don't find MMOs to be good for big name social reality stars that jumps around on many games. For MMOs, it is more of the ones that dedicated to one single MMO that gain traction in terms of views, but their views are usually from people already playing the game.

Issue I have is the LACK of chances they take with content crestors. It's literally how games are advertised now. Purposely avoiding the writing on the wall is how you lose money and popularity.