How is NGS better than PSO2? I am getting bored with Pso2!

My personal opinion is that NGS is going to have to be drastically different to shake the boredom that is setting in.

How much has changed? What’s different? Will it capture the old and new player base?

I personally don’t see the adventure or discovery this game needs in my opinion. Something I personally feel is needed these days when it comes to MMO’s. It feels and looks like more of the same. PSO2 needs cave diving, puzzles solving and unique items questing!

Do we always have to defeat a monster to obtain power is very old to me!

What’s going to make my character unique from everyone else other than outfits.

What is going to make NGS unique compared to PSO2 but able to compete with other games out there?

We don't really know anything about NGS.

We've seen the combat systems and some quests, some various NPCs and how upgrading works, however the game is still incomplete and we also don't know what the gameplay loop will be.

At this point in time I am not particularly optimistic about NGS because PSO2 has suffered something of an identity crisis over the years, not really deciding what it wants the gameplay (and therefore the gameplay/reward loop) to be.

It sure LOOKS nice, but I'm just waiting for the game to get here to prove itself to me, than be hype over something I don't know I will enjoy yet. (Plus PSO2 is a game that is here and very playable, so I'd rather just play PSO2 since it's still enjoyable! Worry about NGS when it's here)

@RainGnyu said in How is NGS better than PSO2? I am getting bored with Pso2!:

How much has changed? What’s different?

The content structure is completely different and so is the gameplay of many classes while some gameplay styles flat out won't exist anymore.

Will it capture the old and new player base?

It depends on why someone plays the game in the first place, if one only cares about the setting / aesthetics then most likely yes but if one mostly cares about the gampleplay and the gameplay in question isn't there then chances are that that person is not going to care (or doesn't really put in any effort aside from the absolute minimum required to get the SGs / weapon skins / cosmetics NGS has to offer).

What’s going to make my character unique from everyone else other than outfits.

Nothing as SEGA seems to hate in depth build diversity.

What is going to make NGS unique compared to PSO2 but able to compete with other games out there?

The content structure in combination with the fashion of course.

I on the other hand know everything about PSO2NGS. It is indeed totally different and it improves significantly on what PSO2 was bad at. They fixed the UI a lot and made it easier to navigate, combat is more fluid and less nuanced. All the classes are very fun to play. Upgrading gear and etc is no longer confusing and made much simpler.

Basically, anyone can get into it now.

@Matt said in How is NGS better than PSO2? I am getting bored with Pso2!:

We don't really know anything about NGS.

We've seen the combat systems and some quests, some various NPCs and how upgrading works, however the game is still incomplete and we also don't know what the gameplay loop will be.

At this point in time I am not particularly optimistic about NGS because PSO2 has suffered something of an identity crisis over the years, not really deciding what it wants the gameplay (and therefore the gameplay/reward loop) to be.

It sure LOOKS nice, but I'm just waiting for the game to get here to prove itself to me, than be hype over something I don't know I will enjoy yet. (Plus PSO2 is a game that is here and very playable, so I'd rather just play PSO2 since it's still enjoyable! Worry about NGS when it's here)

I'm have same opinion, I'm waiting for the contents that we will get in the future and gear progression.

its very basic right now with what we've been seeing so im not really hype about ngs atm until it gets more developed and in-depth.

It'll be different, but ultimately it's likely to be similar systems to what we have now, so if you're getting tired of the core gameplay loop of PSO2 I doubt NGS will be that different. Some new options for getting items might be neat, but also I don't think a game should necessarily branch out of what it's good at just to stay fresh, because that's a good way for a game to start feeling like a mess too.

I think it's also worth noting that even with NGS's new systems, the content is likely to be immensely slower (and less of it to start with) than what we've become accustomed to in Global. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people were enamored with NGS on its release, but after they hit max level and the honeymoon phase ends, they just end up thinking "what... that's it?"

If you think you might be getting tired of PSO2, just stop playing it and come back when you feel like it. There's a good quote from the director of FFXIV about this when someone asks him "how do I make myself keep interested in your game" that could apply here too (just pretend they're talking about PSO2):

"Hey YoshiP, I love FFXIV, but it's hard to keep playing your game (because of the lack of content) and now I'm taking a break here. Sorry for asking this but is there a way or a reason to keep playing? or anything that can you teach me how to keep my motivation for playing your game?" - A player asking Yoshida during Gamescom

Yoshida's answer

Yoshida "It's alright not to play it everyday. Since it's just a game, you can stop forcing yourself if it's hard on you to keep that up. Rather, it'll just pile up unnecessary stress if you limit yourself into playing just that one game since there are so many other games out there. So, do come back and play it to your heart's content when the major patch kicks in, then stop it to play other games before you got burnt out, and then come back for another major patch. This will actually make me happier, and in the end, I think this is the best solution I can answer for keeping your motivation up for the game."

I need them to place something or somethings in the game that is super hard to discover! When I mean hard I mean super super difficult to notice to acquire, and warn the public to keep it super secret if they discover it. We need that in video games these days in my opinion.

Like the book, Ready Player One (not the movie)! Or Morrowind even programmer Warren Robinett name! Don’t get me wrong here, the red box drops back in the day when PSO first came out was genius! Now even the rainbows 🌈 is kinda sad when you see them everyday.

I t would of been nice to have content at a nice even pace, But I really think that they overshot that somehow- WHOOOPS- Now what? Not even some UQ that may be spring themed.? Problably not. IF the G.M. Reads this.. Good luck convincing the Devs otherwise.

Cringe post, good job kid.

@RainGnyu From what I've played seen and witnessed with NGS, the content in NGS is more open-world, with the emergency codes happening in a larger open area. If you've played games like FF14, then you can relate the majority of the content available in the betas to FATEs. There is also the COCCOONs, which are smaller single player/small party experiences and dungeon like with environmental, non-linear traversal, and traditional enemy threats.

@BarrelHunter said in How is NGS better than PSO2? I am getting bored with Pso2!:

@RainGnyu From what I've played seen and witnessed with NGS, the content in NGS is more open-world, with the emergency codes happening in a larger open area. If you've played games like FF14, then you can relate the majority of the content available in the betas to FATEs. There is also the COCCOONs, which are smaller single player/small party experiences and dungeon like with environmental, non-linear traversal, and traditional enemy threats.

And when the UQ happens the area around it changes with new enemies and even boss monsters. UQ itself is also something we know very little about, but they have a much larger roll in NGS.

@Zarozian said in How is NGS better than PSO2? I am getting bored with Pso2!:

I on the other hand know everything about PSO2NGS. It is indeed totally different and it improves significantly on what PSO2 was bad at. They fixed the UI a lot and made it easier to navigate

Funny you say that because the UI was by far the worst ranked thing in the entire beta survey. lol

To me the gameplay loop honestly just looks like more of the same but with a more open world concept. No new classes, they are all the same but updated and fixed some bad old mechanics. I don't see anything in NGS that sets itself apart from the rest of the MMO's available or coming out. Most MMO Youtubers barely even talk about NGS because it's nothing new or special.

@Akonyl said in How is NGS better than PSO2? I am getting bored with Pso2!:

I think it's also worth noting that even with NGS's new systems, the content is likely to be immensely slower (and less of it to start with) than what we've become accustomed to in Global. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people were enamored with NGS on its release, but after they hit max level and the honeymoon phase ends, they just end up thinking "what... that's it?"

Yeah things will definitely be slower at the start. Especially since we are used to the content pace of Global catching up to JP that will feel even worse. But to be honest, even on Global we don't have all that much content when you think about it. There is very little relevant content. Every time they release something new the older stuff becomes completely irrelevant. Which makes it feel like we actually have very little to do. It just looks like there is a lot to do on the surface level. But it's 90% pointless.