How do you play techer?

I've tried to get into the techer resently, mainly because this video in particular inspired me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRVq5Pvmspg

However, upon playing it, I just didnt figure out how to play the Techer properly, because; The Tech charges are too friggin slow, dodging feels way too sluggish and sometimes annoyingly interferes during mid combat. Lack of any parry, counter-dodge or any sort of defense mehanic to protect yourself from attacks (Yes I'm extremely used to playing the Braver and Phantom class.) so the only option for defense is dodge, but that kills your DPS considering how sluggish dodge is. Lastly the class has no photon arts, you only have the default attack option, and the rest you need to use Techs.

And finaly to the techs, the techs are extremely weak and barely deal any damage even at 17 level upgrade, crafting literaly all of them feels extremely tedious. I know the Techer also has those Compound Techs, but they take time to charge by killing enemies and their cooldown is extremely long, they are only great for bossing.

I mean with the braver, I could make good DPS by doing Perfect guards, and finishing the enemy with Cherry blossoms and other PA, which allows me to deal alot of decent damage and DPS to enemies. The Cherry blossom, even the Non-crafted version PA is still very decent to use, great DPS overall, this is not the case with Techs on the Techer, as their charge time is extremely long and overall they do bad damage for such long charges.

So at this point I am guessing that Techer is meant to be a pure support class from this conclusion?

That video is a very specialized Te/Bo build where the player even notes that it primarily for support, doesn't deal that much damage, and is mostly for fun.

Traditional Techter is primarily a Melee class when it comes to damage, facilitated by the Skill Wand Lovers, which enhances Wand Focus, giving you a Sidestep dodge, an always filled Focus gauge, and increasing the power of both the normal Melee attack and the Photonic Fury explosion; the typical move is to Zondeel a bunch of enemies and just go in with Melee, causing a ton of damage because the Photonic Fury explosions splash. Techter does have one PA, Heavy Hammer, which you unlock via a CO from Marlu along with the Simple Fused Techs.

For the charge time issue, if you do want to use Techs, then it is best to sub as Phantom since you get access to Short Charge. Also, regular Fused Techs tend to charge very quickly on Techter in my experience due to the way that Photon Fury explosions (which charge them) cause splash damage.

As for defense, Force and Techter do require Tech Parry (L) for defense when casting, which gives you a 0.6sec Perfect Guard from the front.

If you really do want to play Techter, I recommend going through Cathy's Techter Guide as it gives a lot of detail on the class.

Yeah, Te/Bo is no longer a thing now that the scion classes are out.

On the Japanese side, Phantom did a good job on making the Force and Techter obsolete. So much so that the developers had to create things like compound techniques in order to lure players back from Phantom. You'll be going on a treasure hunt if you're serious about being a Techter.

For sub class, since you used the Phantom class before, I would recommend Phantom as your Subclass, although I personally decided to go with the Etoile subclass after using both for a bit.

The first thing on the treasure hunt list is Nabarta Type-0. This is your block button, and you can perform a strong counter with a high chance of freezing the target (when possible) on a perfect guard, much like your Braver's counter move.

Next on the list is Marlu's client order. It requires level 50, but when you complete it you get Heavy Hammer and the three simple compound techniques. Heavy Hammer is your one-and-only all-purpose Techter Photon art allowing you to close gaps quickly and deal big hits to the target. I'm personally not all that impressed with Re Zandia or Re Formelgia, but I do use Re Barantsia regularly. This technique allows one to move around the battlefield quickly while constantly attacking whatever target aimed at with ice and light. It may not generate "big" damage numbers, but you do get a lot of them over time, so it's well worth it in any situation where being close to the target is a bad idea. Especially fun with a Kwadarka Orb and the S1: Photon Descent 2 enhancement. 10% of PP costs and a constant 5 PP per second even while the technique is active can really extend the firing time.

Then there is Tech Charge Parry (L) ring. At a full +20, it gives 0.6 seconds of guard frames whenever you charge a technique. With Phantom Tech Short Charge from the sub, this gives very similar results to Phantom's class-only stealth charge. Except it's guard frames instead of i-frames, so you're still vulnerable from the back. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't recommend other rings until you can bind this to a unit. Frankly I have the combined version Defense Techniques bound to one of my units right now. Alternative Wand E Charge may be really tempting, but stick it out.

The big compound techniques give you occasional big burst damage almost for free. Either complete Klariskrays's orders or buy them from the photon drop exchange to get them. I bought mine early for photon spheres and didn't regret it. But if you do have the levels in any class, Klariskrays is likely the better option.

In terms of actual combat, basic attacks backed by Photonic Fury and Wand Lovers can actually out-DPS most of your techniques and possibly many other classes' PAs, while earning you PP instead of costing it. It is definitely viable to use Shifta, Deband, Zanverse, Megiverse, Zondeel, and Type Zero Nabarta as needed while relying on just basic attacks to kill opponents. The only trouble with this is it's also dangerous. You don't have a guard cancel so just getting into an opponent's face and swinging blindly is a very good way to get you smacked back in return. I find myself using Techniques for damage at range very often. It gets the job done safely most of the time.

@JasminePuma4780 said in How do you play techer?:

So much so that the developers had to create things like compound techniques in order to lure players back from Phantom.

???

Phantom didn't come out until Episode 6, the original Compound Techs were released in Episode 3, and the Simple Compound Techs were released in Episode 5.

Oops. I may have been misinformed. Sorry.

It should be mentioned tho that you shouldnt aim to be the Damage Dealer.....you will be dissapointed.

Your main role as Techter will be Supporting even tho there are people claiming Techter deals huge amounts of dmg which in truth is false. Techters damage comes from huge monster clusters there he/she shines but outside of that dont even try and compete with the damage dealing classes. So keep in mind you are not a Damage Dealer and you will never be.

You role should be buffing you Party (or in fact as many people in the raid as possible) with Shifta and Deband and also keep it up before it runs out. On top of that you are the one keeping everyone alive with Resta and Anti so keep your eyes on those health bars. In actual battle you change your weapons element (Techter Ring) into the weakness of the enemy and then hit it. If the enemy is down for longer periodes of time charge that Heavy Hammer and smash it into the enemy. However keep in mind you are support so keep that Zanverse up as much as possible.

Now about TE/BO and why IT IS STILL viable. It is by far the best full Support class combination there is. However your damage will be slightly lower then it already is because BO does not give as much dmg benefits as other classes.

So why BO ? Simple. You get a smal heal Bonus for people near you,PP regeneration Field,Crit Field and Field Remain. All of those help your whole Raid and because of Field Remain people leaving your Fields still retain the buff for 30 Seconds. On top of that those 30 seconds also trigger when those Fields end which means you dont even have cooldown on those because the cooldown ends once those 30 seconds are over so you yourself have 100% uptime of those unless you dont keep track of them.

Elemental Stance and Shifta Air Boost are the damage options you have and you should take them there is no other option really. Some would advice using Break Stance aswell however as said before "thats not your job to do". Better go for the flat dmg increase Striking/Technique UP which is always active. Tech UP also increases your healing because Heals scale with Technique Power so going for Break stance would reduce Healing. J Reversal PP Gain is one very evil way of getting lots of PP back is optional however.

As TE/BO on top of what you do as a Techter anyway your job is maintaining your Auras on as many people as possible it will increase the damage of the whole Raid by a huge amount. However this can be really annoying because in many raids people stand far away from each other and you need to get nears as many of them as possible.

Yes TE/BO is still very viable however very taxing. You are buffing,Healing,running around and apply your Auras and cast Zanverse on the Boss.....repeat. Its a very rewarding way playing Techter but only viable for people that can keep their eyes on everyone.....and i mean EVERYONE.

@Gilver-Redgrave said in How do you play techer?:

It should be mentioned tho that you shouldnt aim to be the Damage Dealer.....you will be dissapointed.

Your main role as Techter will be Supporting even tho there are people claiming Techter deals huge amounts of dmg which in truth is false.

That is false. While techer would never be able to reach the highest dps in a party setup, it will still be among the top 4 damage dealers in a decent 12 man setup. While the main damage source is zanverse, the wand normals and the compound techs are not useless, they do too make up a good chunk of damage to keep the techer among top 4 and everyone would prefer a techer which supports as well as deals damage.

PP management is integrated and managed by all classes, almost all classes are usually at 70-80% crit rates and techer shifta is enough to take it near or beyond 100%. Genons exist as well. That leaves Bo sub's support aspect useless. (Also I'm pretty sure that if you really need it, you can get a ring for crit field as well)

The ultimate techer sub is said to be Te/Ra, hard to play, hard to survive, only used in pre-planned parties, high skill ceiling & it makes the rest of the mpa deal the highest dmg, but again, it is not really practical in most of the cases

That said, if you just spam zanverse and occasional shifta/deband, yea, you will be sitting duck for a lot of time in, lets say a TPD run, which you could better utilize dealing damage using your normal attacks or compound techs or even light element techs.

Te/Lu has the highest normal attack damage, add s4 Steadfast Will in there. It also has the highest tech dmg at voltage max i believe but if you are focused more on tech damage, Te/Et or Te/Ph are much better for their utility and lack of hard-to-reach conditions like in the case of Te/Lu.

Top 4 huh ?

Braver Deals more Damage. Phantom Deals more Damage. Force Deals more Damage. Ranger Deals more Damage. Luster deals more Damage.

Techter aint even top 5.

I have seen all those classes Beat Ultimate Sodam in around 3 minutes.....no Techter. So yeah people talk alot about Techter dealing dmg but when they are doing the solo Raids they cant argue aginst the clock.

Also using Zanverse as pro Techter argument invalids itself once you know how Zanverse works. The damage Zanverse does comes from the "OTHER" players dealing dmg not just you. Any Tec class can place Zanverse aswell with the same result.

Also you miss the point around the TE/BO setup. It is true that most people get 100% crit without Auras however imagin trading your crit ring for something else because you dont need it with that kind of Techter in your party. Bravers for example can use the Attack Advance Ring which increases normal attack damage which Katana Bravers do indeed use in their rotation. So you gain extra dmg for no loss at all. You could also use Guard skill Rings that prevent status ailments like "freeze". And seeing how many people get frozen by Sodam and lose all dps thats a dps gain aswell.

So as you can see TE/BO can already increase the dps of the raid just by being TE/BO. You didnt do anything but already increased the dps.

I am maining TE/BO since release and i never heard anyone complain in fact i was asked multiple times if i was free for some runs.

Top 4 huh ?

Braver Deals more Damage. Phantom Deals more Damage. Force Deals more Damage. Ranger Deals more Damage. Luster deals more Damage.

Techter aint even top 5.

It seems you misunderstood, I meant to say top 4 dmg dealer in a 12 man quest, not in comparative classes damage.

I have seen all those classes Beat Ultimate Sodam in around 3 minutes.....no Techter. So yeah people talk alot about Techter dealing dmg but when they are doing the solo Raids they cant argue aginst the clock.

Techter is definitely not a solo class, a lot of its damage comes from other player dealing damage. However, with the addition of Te/Lu, it can potentially solo a lot of content as well, just, its playstyle would change from wand main to gunblade + wand main.

Also using Zanverse as pro Techter argument invalids itself once you know how Zanverse works. The damage Zanverse does comes from the "OTHER" players dealing dmg not just you. Any Tec class can place Zanverse aswell with the same result.

Zanverse alone is like.. 40-50% of the overall damage techter is capable of dealing. The rest comes from PA, normal attacks, step attacks, tech attacks, compound techs etc etc.

Bravers for example can use the Attack Advance Ring

Bravers cannot use Attack advance ring, 1 thing. 2nd: Even if they could, 3% unconditional damage with the Crit Ring on all braver counters and all PAs vs 8% dmg on only the normals, I would personally pick 3% unconditional, much better damage overall. 3rd: The way you are suggesting guard rings, it is VERY conditional and your setup only works for organized parties, which not everyone has, so its an incomplete suggestion.

So as you can see TE/BO can already increase the dps of the raid just by being TE/BO. You didnt do anything but already increased the dps.

Disagreed again, like I said, zanverse is not ALL of a techter's damage potential. These "increase of dps of the rest of the raid" that you suggested can also be achieved by Te with no sub. Might as well go a subclass which can boost techter's own damage.

Yeah just saw they cant wear that at Ring but it was just an example after all nothing to worry about there are other Rings aswell.

Also you just proved my point. Zanverse is 40-50% of Techter dmg.....done by other players. Zanverse IS NO argument for Techter it can be used by any other Tec class for the same results. Its NOT damage done by the Techter and does NOT count as damage done by said Techter except the few hits he does himself.

You can disagree all you want but the reality wont change. In your reality Techter is a top 4 Damage Dealer in a 12 man Raid but the truth is he is far down the list. As i said before i main Techter and i wouldnt dare in my wildest dreams telling my Raid that i did all that dmg because THEY used my Zanverse. Why not go ahead and also count the damage THEY did because of my Shifta aswell ?

You cant just go ahead and cout damage as your own that you never dealt. I mean you even said yourself its damage done by other players and right after that you say Zanverse is 40-50% of the damage Techter is capable of dealing. Your argumentation does not work that way.

That line of thought is understandable. Let me phrase it this way:

Imagine all the damge the boss could end up receiving if you only focus on casting zanverse (besides other support techs). That is about the same as your non-zanverse damage output if you focus on normal attacks & compound techs and other stuff in a proper class combination like Te/Ph or Te/Lu IN ADDITION TO using ocasional zanverse (which is not your damage). The top 4 damage dealer point was after adding in the zanverse damage yes, but sure, lets just half out that damage dealt, is half of that much damage insignificant? Definitely no.

Again, for Te/Bo, all the useful boosts that this class gives your raid members, could have been given to them with just Te with no sub as well, you have so far failed to prove if Te/Bo can be more useful than Te with no sub. Maybe in very niche cases with proper organized parties, yes it may prove slightly more beneficial but if you impose that many conditions and specifications in it, it is no longer a viable suggestion you can give to anyone with lesser knowledge of the game reading this.

Also, if it were me, Techter is quite significant addition in a raid so if there was no other techter, I would pick you, Te/Bo as one of the 12 over another 12th dps class as well, but if I had to pick among a few techter players I would always prioritize Te/Et, Ph, Lu, Hu or even Ra over Bo.

Yeah just saw they cant wear that at Ring but it was just an example after all nothing to worry about there are other Rings aswell.

Also, I can start describing why each of the R ring is less useful in comparison with the Crit ring one by one but that would go off-topic. Generally there is no other ring with unconditional damage boost like the Crit ring. Fighter (main or sub) which cannot use crit ring uses Valor Emblem as the 2nd choice which also has 10% crit rate boost. There are certain utility rings but overall, they have lesser impact in the raids. If you could justify those, then you could also justify usage of similar SGAs instead of pure damage SGA.

No the damage Techter deals is not insignificant but that wasnt the point. The point was that Techter is not meant to be a damage dealer and that your expectations will be crushed if you honestly believe you can play that class as damage dealer thats all. The main reason why only a hand full of people play Techter is because of the low damage. Most people wanna smash stuff and Techter does not.

And i would like you to explain how Techter can give the Raid ALL boosts TE/BO gives WITHOUT a sub class. That includes:

• BOTH Fields
  • Field Remain (100% Field uptime)
  • Healing Boost
  • Extra heal around the Techter

In fact i could turn this around pretty easy by asking you what the other classes give the group when picked as sup class for Techter.

BOTH Fields

Field Remain (100% Field uptime)

Healing Boost

Extra heal around the Techter

BOTH of the fields are useless as I already explained in the 1st post

Healing of techter alone can go to like 1.4k per tick, more than enough, idk why you need more heals than that.

Why go other subclasses? Well there are proper lengthy guides that answer that but for tldr:

Phantom: Faster tech casts, high melee damage multiplyer, decent tech damage, good PP management, high crit rate, Focus gauge management.

Etoile: High tech damage multiplyer, decent melee damage multiplyer, a tonne of survivability, good crit rate, grants knockback nullification, great usage of compound & simple compound techs.

Luster: Insanely high melee damage multiplyer, decent tech damage multiplyer which can still exceed etoile's past certain amount of voltage, Focus gauge management, allows usage of gunblade which overall ends up in an insane damage multiplyers for gunblade. Cooldown reduction for Wand lovers at high voltages.

Both Auras are usefull as i already explained in my posts.

Also you didnt answer my question. I asked you what other sub classes are GOOD FOR YOUR GROUP and not for you yourself.

Also i get the feeling you dont even have full knowledge about Techter because: You say Phantom and Luster have Focus Gauge management while it is irrelevant because Techters Gauge is always full because of Wand Lover.You also say Luster gives cooldown reduction for Wand Lover at high Voltage while Wand Lover is a Buff which stays active until you press the button again. So yeah cooldown reduction on a skill without cooldown seems like a real benefit.

In fact lets tear all of you examples apart shall we ?

Phantom:

• Faster Tech cast is rather bad because it also decreases the amount you Heal and the damage you dish out.
  • High Melee Damage multiplyer while Bounder gives you overall damage increase as long as you use the enemys weakness.
  • Decent Tech damage suffers the same because Bouncer boosts all the weakness damage.
  • Good PP management which is not needed for a Techter who has the best PP regeneration skill of all classes.
  • High Crit Rate is a fair point however with Bouncer i also have over 100% crit so no benefit there.
  • Focus Gauge invalid as stated above.

Etoil:

• Tech Damage same as Phantom. (Bouncer Boosts all weaness damage)
  • Decent melee same as Phantom. ((Bouncer Boosts all weaness damage)
  • Tonns of survivability is only usefull if you dont know what you are doing hence why everyone is going full dmg even on units.
  • Good crit rate same as Phantom. (Bouncer archives 100% aswell)
  • Knockback Nullification is a fair point. However that only works when stationary so very limited.
  • Compound and simple compound can be used with Bouncer as sup aswell so what are you getting at ?

Luster:

• Insane melee damage is a fair point.
  • Decent Tech suffers compared with Bouncer again unless you are at high voltage.
  • Focus Gauge debunked.
  • You can use Gunblade without Luster as sub aswell and even with Luster you lose like almost all you dmg when using it.
  • Cooldown reduction for a permanent buff is useless.

So yeah thats that.