Let's Talk About Tripe AAA Games dying

English is not my native but im gonna try my best here.

So i dunno if any of you guys saw but 2 games died last week or this week Anthem and Artifact (The Dota Card Game) i payed for the game and spent more then 300 hours playing(Artifact) both games can be played but they ill not receive any more updates. In other words they are dead

In the course of my life i saw many games live and die like Ghost in The Shell Stand Alone Complex Which was a very cool fps that i actualy spent a good amount of money and after one year they simple shut down the game servers.

I can keep going with this but let's get to the point

Since i GUESS that the pso2team is puting all their efforts on NGS what is going to happen if the game became a massive FAIL?

Remember this is all a questioning from a guy who lost a lot of hours and money from those greedy companies

Can we actualy see a end for pso2 and lose all our hours of work ?

sorry for bad englando 😞

There is a reason why anthem and artifact failed. Not because its a triple a game. I wouldnt even call artifact a triple a game. I wouldnt called Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone a triple a game.

If the game fail it'll be a game that sits in limbo for 3-4 hours before they close the servers. You need to understand at some point, all the meseta you earned, all the items you have obtained and all the money you spent for things in game will suddenly vanish. That is just how online games work.

I have little faith in NGS so i'm not worried about it, but with PSO2s stagnant numbers, I don't see the people who really love the PSO series give up because the game isn't good and that is something Sega has that really helps them. My only concern is that NGS will release to next to nothing in it and will "slowly build NGS into an actual game"

Also, you could tell Artifact wasnt going to make it. You could FEEL it wasn't going to make it.

https://youtu.be/R0qZTS38cjw

Regardless of how successful NGS is, one day these servers will shut down and you will lose everything. It’s something that is inevitable, though if the game is successful that would be many years down the track.

What's interesting about Artifact besides the fact it was as doomed from the start as Microsoft's mobile phone attempts is that it seems to be not being shut down.

That I've quickly read up, it looks like it's going to join other games like Alien Swarm as just sitting on Valve's servers probably for several years, with all of its cards available through gameplay now, and no development thereafter. In a strange way that might actually make it somewhat playable for friend groups.

So that's a bit different to a live-service model where the game will probably be given anything from 1-3 months between closure announcement and subsequent total shutdown. That's what we can ultimately expect for New Genesis and the entirety of Phantasy Star Online 2, hopefully several years from now.

@Ashe-Kinsilla i dunno man Valve looks very triple AAA (for me of course) they hired Richard Garfield to help build the game

But anyway i was one of those silly people who loved Artifact

but playing the game for 6 months with zeros updates and no response from valve made me jump out of the boat

Is it a western thing to doompost so much? I mean NGS gameplay looks completely fine save for debatable, need to actually see in full version, finer points, but PSO2 also fails at many finer points. I am completely assured that when the game releases the average player will jump through the several kinds of endgame quests, get a reasonably easy to get endgame gear, and then complain that NGS has no content, but the same will happen in case of any PSO2 development so why not go through the cycle in higher quality.

Either way it's too early for PSO2 to die, you will just have to deal with low budget development and even more reskins and less bombastic EQs. This will probably continue for some time regardless of NGS dying or not. PSO2 as far as I know should be still making good money for Sega in Japan.

@Falador-de-bosta Destiny 2 and Hearthstone are still going strong and look to be heading in the right directions (e.g. removing sunsetting/reinvesting in the content team and changing to a rotating core set/introducing new play modes respectively). Come join us!

Expect any live service game to die under EA and such. It's a miracle that SWTOR is even alive.

How fast a RPGs dies usually depends on how its endgame looks like. PSO2s overly focus on vertical progression to the very end is going to speed this process up tremendously as we will only have a couple of quests that are still worth doing, build diversity is (almost) non existent and many gameplay features are in dire need of an overhaul (e.g. Photon / Dark Blasts) which they may never receive. There are RPGs which are about as old as PSO2 that still have almost as many players playing it on a regular basis despite them barely receiving any updates (for over half a decade now) thanks to them having at least a decent amount of horizontality in their endgame content.

Now NGS is not necessarily going to be the "death" of base PSO2 (although it's safe to say that it is going to chip away a lot of players) as we're still going to have people who either preferred the content structure of the base game or their preferred gameplay style simply doesn't exist in NGS. Base PSO2 is definitely not beyond salvageable but what ultimately happens to it mostly depends on SEGA.

Anthem failed because it's an EA game, and they're too hyperfocused on micro-transactions.

SEGA sells bundle deals and a premium service for PSO2, so it should be fairly financially stable in terms of fashion sales.

@Rang-Dipkin said in Let's Talk About Tripe AAA Games dying:

@Falador-de-bosta Destiny 2 and Hearthstone are still going strong and look to be heading in the right directions (e.g. removing sunsetting/reinvesting in the content team and changing to a rotating core set/introducing new play modes respectively). Come join us!

Hey man tnx for the invite and btw i played my share of Destiny 2 and Hearthstone

is not like im a widower of card games

im playing MTGARENA

And about Destiny2 i Rly loved the game. (Actualy The best RPG FPS out there)

But just gave up after some rly nasty bugs in some endgame quests..

Just hoping for a Destiny 3 at this point.

@Ryoga said in Let's Talk About Tripe AAA Games dying:

How fast a RPGs dies usually depends on how its endgame looks like. PSO2s overly focus on vertical progression to the very end is going to speed this process up tremendously as we will only have a couple of quests that are still worth doing, build diversity is (almost) non existent and many gameplay features are in dire need of an overhaul (e.g. Photon / Dark Blasts) which they may never receive. There are RPGs which are about as old as PSO2 that still have almost as many players playing it on a regular basis despite them barely receiving any updates (for over half a decade now) thanks to them having at least a decent amount of horizontality in their endgame content.

Now NGS is not necessarily going to be the "death" of base PSO2 (although it's safe to say that it is going to chip away a lot of players) as we're still going to have people who either preferred the content structure of the base game or their preferred gameplay style simply doesn't exist in NGS. Base PSO2 is definitely not beyond salvageable but what ultimately happens to it mostly depends on SEGA.

Actualy i agree but i also think that a rpg needs a good pvp

And i don't think the SUCESS of NGS is gonna kill PSO2 but the failure.

@Falador-de-bosta said in Let's Talk About Tripe AAA Games dying:

i also think that a rpg needs a good pvp

Yeah a good PvP mode can definitely add a lot of replayability to a game but this often times gets overlooked by the devs. Also, not just the obvious "let's beat each other up" kind of PvP either. Why GW2 for example didn't add a proper racing mode based on some of their mounts is beyond me.

@Ryoga said in Let's Talk About Tripe AAA Games dying:

@Falador-de-bosta said in Let's Talk About Tripe AAA Games dying:

i also think that a rpg needs a good pvp

Yeah a good PvP mode can definitely add a lot of replayability to a game but this often times gets overlooked by the devs. Also, not just the obvious "let's beat each other up" kind of PvP either. Why GW2 for example didn't add a proper racing mode based on some of their mounts is beyond me.

Actually, it never gets over looked by the devs. They add it to most games no matter how poorly it fits into it. It just isn't successful in a game that doesn't focus on PvP, and how "fun" it is doesn't change that. So, since it is a waste of time and recourses, the devs stop wasting them and focus on something else. As they should. There is no need to quote me, i don't make these decisions. It simply is what it is.

For me it’s not about gear progression but the amount of stuff I can do in the game. I like open world and just going exploring, gathering, complex crafting for fun items like cosmetics or furniture, house buulding/decorating and of course pvp. This game doesn’t have a lot of that.

The closest examples of this type of game I can think of are Dragon Nest and Vindictus. Instance only fighting and not a lot else. Last I saw, Vindictus is legitimately dying, not doom & gloom predictions like people get when a game reaches a stagnation period but actually dying, the game is a ghost town and the economy is broken.

When there’s no sandbox for players to make their own fun then I find it’s difficult for developers to keep their games fun and exciting. I can’t just go climb a mountain to see how high I can go or spend hours exploring mines, I have to get from point A to point B. It’s just not as fun to me when it feels like a game is telling me I can’t do that.

The maps in PSO2 are boring hallways. NGS looks like they’ve definitely expanded upon their maps so it feels like we can explore a little. I’m really excited for this!

I don’t think I’ll be able to go back to PSO2 after NGS is here.