Phantasy Star 2 online won't launch

i downloaded the game via steam for the first time. when i tried to open it after it finished downloading, it said "An Update to the game file has been detected. Please restart the application". i checked to see if the game needed to be updated, but it was already up to date. i then downloaded the tweaker, downloaded the "missing" files and then tried launching it again. this time the error message only pops up faster. has anyone encountered this problem, and if so what do i do?

Close the game and go to the steam store and see if you can update it from there. If not try to uninstall and re-install then check the steam store after to ensure it's up to date.

After the maintenance, they changed the way it updates for steam.

https://pso2.com/news/server-info/maintenancenotes0303

If you want to use the tweaker, it is best if you do a clean install - meaning you need to uninstall whatever previous version you have and remove any back ups it may have created (especially MS Store).

I've uninstalled and re installed it, and the error message still pops up. the game still has no update options

I had that error pop up both n my PC and laptop, and all I did was hit "Play" again, and it started the rest of the update. On my end, at least, it looks like the first time it downloaded the files, but then it did an "install" procedure when I did the second start-up and finished it off.

i hit play after the error message and it does the error message pops back up.

Can you show what the Error message says? Usually I have seen this happen, when a game is installed outside of your Normal -C- drive. If by any chance you have it installed on , Say for example a USB Passport drive, You may want to try and installing it Directly on your -C- Drive.

@Sakesubaki said in Phantasy Star 2 online won't launch:

Can you show what the Error message says? Usually I have seen this happen, when a game is installed outside of your Normal -C- drive. If by any chance you have it installed on , Say for example a USB Passport drive, You may want to try and installing it Directly on your -C- Drive.

Oh thank you!! This actually fixed my problem too!

@Sakesubaki How do I do that?

Your -C- Drive corresponds the the Default drive that is on your Rig or Laptop. So, like when you click on "MY COMPUTER" A populated list of drives show up and -C- Is your Windows Drive. ![alt text](e9864b47-753e-4a6b-8671-b83cbf0b246c-image.png image url)

@Sakesubaki Sorry I keep asking, but how do I direct pso2's download to the c drive?

@OrangeliX First, you need to create a new Library Folder in Steam which you do by going to "View">"Settings">"Downloads">"Steam Library Folders", and you can create a new folder where Steam games can be installed. You can then move the install of any game by right clicking on it in your Library, and going to "Properties">"Local Files">"Move install folder..." and you can select the Library Folder to move it to.

Before you begin to start downloading PSO2, a Prompt will appear that will ask you to verify the download location. alt text

So, in this example- It should say as in the picture in the red box, If the download location is not C then , simply press the right down arrow in the red box and then select your C drive. Then press next. Your game will now install under your C drive.

so uh, i moved the files from phantasy star online to c drive, but i think that wasnt the right move, but now it started downloading the update and its about the same size of phantasy star online itself when i first downloaded it. is it downloading the game again, or is it downloading the update stuff?

If it says that its an update , then yes - Its an update. Just make sure to let it update completely, IF by some chance you don't, then you may experience problems with starting PSO2. Int this case, If can be the ENTRE game once again, Just let it finish and you should be just fine.