Cannot change a single setting in environment settings

They said their Drawing tablet was connected to their computer, so that probably did it. Will inform soon.

@tojake2 They have an admin account, does that do anything? And the tablet wasn't the issue.

@tojake2 said in Cannot change a single setting in environment settings:

@tojake2 They have an admin account, does that do anything? And the tablet wasn't the issue.

If it is an admin account, that is all that matters. Anyway, try to have them open regedit and find this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

In there, make sure Personal, My Video, My Music, My Pictures, Favorites, and Desktop are set to %USERPROFILE%\ and heir proper name. If not, they are probably hijacked by One Drive and the settings cannot be saved. Also, the part after the %\ is Documents, Videos, Music, Pictures, Favorites, Desktop.

Alright, I sent this to them now. Thanks for all of your help

I did tell you my friend doesn't have One Drive right? And that they looked?

I did tell you my friend doesn't have One Drive right? And that they looked?

Even if it was removed, it could have still taken over the folders. One Drive is a component built-in to Windows 10 and it can easily re-install itself with the major version updates. Even Microsoft Edge can re-install itself after being manually removed from the system with Powershell.

Anyway, if it still doesn't save and the folders weren't hijacked, it could be a permissions issue, which is a lot harder to help with, aside from just completely re-installing Windows.

They're very adamant that they don't have it, I'll see about permissions.

They're very adamant that they don't have it, I'll see about permissions.

Unfortunately, the only other solution would be to try making sure their AV is set to exclude the pso2_bin folder and all the exe files in the folder with allowing them to have Controlled Folder Access through Windows Defender. After that, I am mostly out of easier potential solutions. Could also see if they can open the user.pso2 file in their C:\Users????\Documents\SEGA\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2_NA folder, where ???? is their username on the computer. See if they can manually edit that file and save it. If it doesn't allow saving it, there is a permission issue there.

Interesting, sorry for the long wait time to a reply, there was a falling out, there IS no Sega file, so we are uninstalling and reinstalling.

I HAVE AN ANSWER!! All you need to do is play the game ONCE, exit game at the game start area, and then you will be able to change all and any settings.

@Ragnawind If it is an admin account, that is all that matters. Anyway, try to have them open regedit and find this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

In there, make sure Personal, My Video, My Music, My Pictures, Favorites, and Desktop are set to %USERPROFILE%\ and heir proper name. If not, they are probably hijacked by One Drive and the settings cannot be saved. Also, the part after the %\ is Documents, Videos, Music, Pictures, Favorites, Desktop.

Hello,

I just want to mention that this method worked for me, but a few changes that worked. I changed everything you mentioned there(game didn't save settings still), but I had a few other registries with one drive hijacking it. I switched ALL of them to your method of %USERPROFILE%\original name(I don't know shit for computers so I copy pasted the original name, for some reason one of them was in Arabic and I had to copy paste that one to make it work). One drive has to be turned off, and for the love of god DO NOT DELETE any of them. I did that and lots of things stopped working, had to restart my computer for things to fix itself.

In regards to me deleting some stuff, I had like 3 registries with these long ass Key code looking names. I was annoyed, I deleted them because one drive hijacked them, that is when certain things stopped working, like pso2 gave me some error when I tried to launch it. Thankfully restarting my computer fixed it. Once everything was under %USERPROFILE%\ I retried to fix my settings. It didn't work at first, but for some reason I think after closing or restarting my computer it started working.

I switch to windowed mode, put my resolution, started game, but the windowed mode was weird. Switched back to virtual mode with my 2560etc screen size and it finally worked.

I just want to say thank you man, this actually worked and saved me the frustration of not getting to play this game properly.

All the best, Daythyme