PSA: You do not own anything you obtain in microtransaction purchases.

Just to alert SEGA, your high prices for the AC Scratch Bonus directly in conjunction with the ToS update don't really sell much confidence to your Global players in PSO2 NGS.

Most of your audience has played a lot of games that have sunset, and we can pick up on "alarm bells" rather quickly, even if they're false and your accountant is happy with the results.

@MasterDarkwingz said in PSA: You do not own anything you obtain in microtransaction purchases.:

Just to alert SEGA, your high prices for the AC Scratch Bonus directly in conjunction with the ToS update don't really sell much confidence to your Global players in PSO2 NGS.

Most of your audience has played a lot of games that have sunset, and we can pick up on "alarm bells" rather quickly, even if they're false and your accountant is happy with the results.

Yeah this is giving me a bad feeling.

@Milk said in PSA: You do not own anything you obtain in microtransaction purchases.:

@MasterDarkwingz said in PSA: You do not own anything you obtain in microtransaction purchases.:

I would prefer Global be defaulted to the hands of SEGA Japan than to see it ever sunset, but that's just me.

your high prices for the AC Scratch Bonus directly in conjunction with the ToS update

Two questions about this:

One, the TOS updated? I'm pretty sure the parts described in the OP were always there. On Steam the update with this maintenance popped up the TOS window again but I've had that several times on a Microsoft Store install at this point so it just seemed like a non-change that was triggered by a significant file update.

Two, which AC scratch are you talking about with high bonus prices? The new regular scratch - ARKS Dream Live - has a camo at 20, an emote at 45 and choice tickets at 30, 60 and 120. Contrast Crimson Dawn from April last year which just has an emote at 20 and the same choice ticket distributions (as have all regular AC scratch sets). I don't see the bonuses costing more. If you're talking about Throwback Collection III, that's a different type of AC scratch and while some of its bonuses are shockingly expensive this is nothing new; Throwback Collection I and II did exactly the same thing.

[Double post due to lag]

@Miraglyth There was a new ping to accept the ToS this update, I thought that this was a new detail added that OP was bringing to attention.

There's been a lot of complaints about the cost of Phaleg cosplay, despite the mechanics remaining the same.

Hopefully there's some variant items out there that can cycle into AC Scratches for those who want it, but can't afford to whale.

@Miraglyth There was a new ping to accept the ToS this update, I thought that this was a new detail added that OP was bringing to attention.

I've had that a few times now. I don't think it correlates to the TOS having changed. And I'm really doubting the detail in the OP is new. As many others have said, this is a standard part of any live service game's TOS.

There's been a lot of complaints about the cost of Phaleg cosplay, despite the mechanics remaining the same.

Doesn't that just mean the complaints are increasing? 🤔

@Milk said in PSA: You do not own anything you obtain in microtransaction purchases.:

I would prefer Global be defaulted to the hands of SEGA Japan than to see it ever sunset, but that's just me.

SEGA of Japan are in fact the ones running the Global version. The same team responsible for running the JP servers run the Global servers through MS Azure and communicate with ESTsoft who handle active moderation, community management and so on.

@Miraglyth That's a good point. That section hasn't been changed, I just thought about it because I was giving it a fresh read and I know I've spoken with people who were confused about how this works and were under the impression that paying for something necessarily means you own something, which for live service games, in the fine print it is clearly stated that you do not. This post was intended just to help inform, not prompted by anything new or different in the TOU.

Is this another person claiming the game is dying and going to shut down?

I mean you can find that info even in Tibia and that game is old and about the ToS yes it was updated but I didn't notice what was changed so is a minor change or added a new point.

@Zeke No. I mean, it will eventually, but so will you and I.

@TQuinTV said in PSA: You do not own anything you obtain in microtransaction purchases.:

the impression that paying for something necessarily means you own something, which for live service games, in the fine print it is clearly stated that you do not.

You don't for most games; generally you just get a license to play one copy of the game and often limited to the hardware designed to play that version. The specifics are a little more nuanced but this plays into why backups of physical-media games have differed on legality in different regions.

People don't know once a game shuts down all your items you bought are gone? Shocking... Don't tell them if steam shuts down overnight everything in your steam library is gone as well.

It's content that doesn't physically exist. Anyone knows the second the servers go down , (and we all know, PSO2 will eventually close its proverbial doors) you lose those items forever. Its temporary and fleeting, and just like in life, you can't take it with you forever. When you die, would you really expect to take your physical belongings with you? Anyone that has a basic understanding of these simple facts are already at peace with that. They want to spend their money on something they can enjoy while they can, in a similar fashion to how they spend the short time they have on this earth. This PSA would read more like satire if OP wasn't taking things so seriously.