PSA: You do not own anything you obtain in microtransaction purchases.

This is from the TOU. Basically, if they ever decide to pull the plug, you have no right to anything you've bought. This is standard practice for any kind of modern live service game, but a lot of people generally misunderstand this. I'm not saying don't buy things. I've purchased several mags, auxiliaries, and permanent storage expansions. There's incredible value in some of this. But it's healthy to understand that when you spend money on a live service game, that purchase is tied to the game itself and when then game goes away, you will have nothing.

87e36074-f6c1-457d-873c-a465cbf6b48c-image.png

Generally, TOU isn't legally defensible and if enough people made a scene you could put together a class action suit after the fact. But that's neither here nor there. Let's just have fun and keep this game going for as long as possible. The more people play, the longer the server will stay alive and I'd imagine anyone here reading this wants that to be a thing that keeps being a thing for a long time.

I already acknowledged that any money i throw on some online mmo is likely never going to be seen ever again, even if the mmo shuts down, a lot of people I know of however live on the principle that if you spent too much money on it, you should keep playing to keep getting your money's worth, even if the game takes bad turns or becomes heavily outdated, though for me personally, i find it myself rather easy to move on if the game just doesnt happen to be fun anymore, even after spending significant amounts of money on it.

Welcome to the world of server side based online games where you lose everything once the company decides to close down the service.

@TQuinTV said in PSA: You do not own anything you obtain in microtransaction purchases.:

Generally, TOU isn't legally defensible and if enough people made a scene you could put together a class action suit after the fact.

Well this would be fun, I would love to see server sided online games turn into client sided offline / online hybrid games at the end of their official life cycle. Why some games didn't do it is actually rather questionable as the devs. would have nothing to lose at this point and it would make for good publicity + it might encourage some people to spend money on the game who are hesitant because they don't want to buy stuff if at the end they would have nothing to show for.

@Ryoga It has everything to do with microtransactions. You can get people spending more money long term even if you don't include an up front asking price for access. Recurring expenses are the real money maker. Basically a subscription without calling it that or requiring it. You'll notice the items at the top of the AC shop are the temporary expiring services. If the data was client-side, the players could manipulate the data and remove the necessity for these supplementary purchases. Enough players would see the incentive and take the necessary steps to do this that it would have a significant detrimental impact on the revenue stream and the game wouldn't be sustainable as a business venture.

Edit: Take the word "necessity" above lightly. The implication in the storefront is that they are necessary, but I see little value in them and wouldn't tell a new player who is considering getting involved in the game that they are in any way required to enjoy the experience. I appreciate the availability of it as an optional feature. I don't need it and won't use it, but I'm glad it's there for anyone who wants it.

@TQuinTV said in PSA: You do not own anything you obtain in microtransaction purchases.:

If the data was client-side, the players could manipulate the data and remove the necessity for these supplementary purchases.

Which, by the time they want to shut down their servers, wouldn't matter anymore.

@Ryoga Server death is a real problem. It would be nice if they would deliver an export of the player data upon server decommission, but it'll never happen, or at least it isn't likely to ever happen with any live service game. They decide they don't want to keep up with the cost of running it anymore, but they also don't want to open up the opportunity that someone else might make money from it, so they bury it. I've seen this happen a few times just in this franchise alone. Blue Burst and Universe, both just the same and any other game that gets killed this way. I don't agree with live services as a business model, but I love this game franchise. At the end of the day, you have to decide whether you're going to play ball. For me, it's worth it even if I can see the writing on the wall in the distance.

This is from the TOU. Basically, if they ever decide to pull the plug, you have no right to anything you've bought. This is standard practice for any kind of modern live service game, but a lot of people generally misunderstand this. I'm not saying don't buy things. I've purchased several mags, auxiliaries, and permanent storage expansions. There's incredible value in some of this. But it's healthy to understand that when you spend money on a live service game, that purchase is tied to the game itself and when then game goes away, you will have nothing.

87e36074-f6c1-457d-873c-a465cbf6b48c-image.png

Generally, TOU isn't legally defensible and if enough people made a scene you could put together a class action suit after the fact. But that's neither here nor there. Let's just have fun and keep this game going for as long as possible. The more people play, the longer the server will stay alive and I'd imagine anyone here reading this wants that to be a thing that keeps being a thing for a long time.

alt text

Every MMO has this in their Terms of Service, and of course you don't "Own" anything.

@Krinos No kidding. That doesn't mean everyone playing this game knows this or reads the TOU. Thanks for being a ray of sunshine though.

@Krinos No shit. That doesn't mean everyone playing this game knows this or reads the TOU. Thanks for being a dick though.

I'm pretty sure EVERYONE knows this after playing an mmo, to which there are hundreds out there.

@Krinos This isn't a productive conversation.

@Krinos This isn't a productive conversation.

You're getting worked up over something obvious.

@Krinos You're a troll. And blocked.

@Krinos You're a troll.

alt text

Right... Uh-huh, I'm a troll for pointing out that your outrage over something that is made clear in every MMO is common knowledge. I'm sorry you were late to the party, it must be hard being under aged, and playing a rated M game.

It’s always sad when it happens but we’re paying for temporary entertainment. The one and only time I’ve ever complained about this was when an MMO company still running decided they had too many servers, so they deleted them and instead of just transferring to a different server, they just deleted everyone’s characters, including all of their cash shop stuff. No warnings, no refunds; nada. I just logged in one day and hundreds of dollars worth of stuff was gone. That company as far as I’m concerned can burn to the ground.

But nothing lasts forever, eventually games just die so it’s up to you to decide how much loss you can live with. Will it make you angry you spent X on nothing or will you see it as “X money got me X months/years of entertainment”? That’s how I see it, anyway.

It would be nice if they would deliver an export of the player data upon server decommission, but it'll never happen, or at least it isn't likely to ever happen with any live service game.

Which doesn't make any sense if you think about it. Aside from screwing over their player base many games could have just turned things from server sided to client sided upon shutting down and they don't even have to give things away for free either. Just put things into a store like Steam for X amount of cash, I'm sure many players would pay the price if that ment that they could keep their characters and still play the game after the termination of the live service (I know I would have bought several such games if I had the opportunity to do so).