Game not new player friendly

@Aumires said in Game not new player friendly:

Do not expect EVER for anyone playing to figure something on their own unless you already taught them in a simpler way. If your audience is "anyone".

Can't really win. If you shove a huge hand holding tutorial in a player's face, they get mad. If you expect them to have a basic understanding of how things work, they get mad. If you go halfway and give them some game spefific info but leave out common stuff, they get mad. Yet somehow they can find their way onto the forums to complain.

@Sparhawk said in Game not new player friendly:

@Aumires said in Game not new player friendly:

Do not expect EVER for anyone playing to figure something on their own unless you already taught them in a simpler way. If your audience is "anyone".

Can't really win. If you shove a huge hand holding tutorial in a player's face, they get mad. If you expect them to have a basic understanding of how things work, they get mad. If you go halfway and give them some game spefific info but leave out common stuff, they get mad. Yet somehow they can find their way onto the forums to complain.

its not anything to get mad over. im not mad, id just have liked to know certain things that are important to the game. before i saw the thing in the top left corner, i ran around picking up everything bc i didnt know what the item was. later on i realized it was there, but still being a new player and all, its not the friendliest experience ive ever had in playing a game. you have to see it from a new players perspective, not a veteran player.

Can we get a moderator to kill this thread, clearly this guy won't listen to anyone and continues to say everyone else is wrong just because there is no obvious hand-holding in PSO2.

I'm someone who has played several different MMOs, they were confusing at first, but that goes for trying anything new, yet I worked my way through the systems and figured out how to play the games while adapting to each game-style and adjusting my own play-style accordingly. I even take notes on things in the game-based on things I'm setting up or how to work out stuff, I do this quite regularly for complex games, both online and offline types.

Also since this game has been out for a while and is basically at the end of it's life cycle, there is a ton of documentation out there to research.

(Also, I'm putting this junk thread on my Ignore list just so I don't have to deal with it cluttering up recent posts on my end)

Do you realize that we ALL used to be new players. If figuring this out was hard wait till you get to the game proper, ie making weapons with Zig an such. KABOOOOM head blown lmfao

@LazerRay said in Game not new player friendly:

Can we get a moderator to kill this thread, clearly this guy won't listen to anyone and continues to say everyone else is wrong just because there is no obvious hand-holding in PSO2.

I'm someone who has played several different MMOs, they were confusing at first, but that goes for trying anything new, yet I worked my way through the systems and figured out how to play the games while adapting to each game-style and adjusting my own play-style accordingly. I even take notes on things in the game-based on things I'm setting up or how to work out stuff, I do this quite regularly for complex games, both online and offline types.

Also since this game has been out for a while and is basically at the end of it's life cycle, there is a ton of documentation out there to research.

(Also, I'm putting this junk thread on my Ignore list just so I don't have to deal with it cluttering up recent posts on my end)

thats youre opinion. i like the game dont get me wrong, but they could do better with making things more new player friendly. better explanations of skills. is one thing id like to add. some times the skills are confusing (the skill tree). and with the tons of research about this game...most of the stuff is outdated and not up to date. i use google quite well. and the game isnt at the end up its ropes according to the article i read. but again thats your opinion. just because you dont want to see my valid points as a new user doesnt mean you have to try to shoot me down. you have to put yourself in my shoes and try to understand what im saying. but thanks for your input

I'm sorry. Read the characters that appear in the upper left hand was too difficult for you.

@QWERT said in Game not new player friendly:

I'm sorry. Read the characters that appear in the upper left hand was too difficult for you.

when youre trying to focus on objects on the ground, characters in the left top most corner can be missed. as i said in a previous post, i was so focused on trying to loot the items on the ground that i didnt even realize it was there. and im sure that im not the only one this has happened to. but again youre all veteran players and have been playing for years. youre not trying to look at it from someone else's point of view.

@dllindsey12 If you can't even be bothered to get close to the item to see what i pointed out, then you got only yourself to blame. How long did it take for you to walk up to the item where it tells you the button to interact with it? Did you just stand there on the spot doing nothing for 10 minutes wondering why the game doesn't tell you what to do or something? What, do you think nobody else was ever a new player? That i started with foreknowledge about all the games systems? What a joke.

@Yggranya said in Game not new player friendly:

@dllindsey12 If you can't even be bothered to get close to the item to see what i pointed out, then you got only yourself to blame. How long did it take for you to walk up to the item where it tells you the button to interact with it? Did you just stand there on the spot doing nothing for 10 minutes wondering why the game doesn't tell you what to do or something? What, do you think nobody else was ever a new player? That i started with foreknowledge about all the games systems? What a joke.

again as i previously posted, when i first walked up to the items i was focused on the ground. i waited for a queue to say "hey pick up the items with this button" nothing popped up so i started trying different characters. i then figured out it was E on my own. no i didnt notice the box in top left corner because the game doesnt mention it until after you kill the spider boss. ill show you a screenshot. pso20210220_233858_000.jpg im just saying it would have been nice to have been told this information before this point. not after

When I started playing about a year ago when it first hit consoles, I followed the tutorial, and was only slightly confused on how the sub pallet worked, but I used the User Interface to figure it out. Took me literally ten seconds to learn the entire UI. @dllindsey12 You say you were focused on the items on the ground, then why didn't you notice that there was no UI prompt selecting the item? That's gaming 101. All pick ups give you a UI prompt. Doesn't matter the game. That's the point of a UI, it's an interface that allows the User to figure out how to manipulate items in a game. Is this your first time playing a game in general? Because the tutorial is the easiest part of the game. There's also a NPC in the gateway area that handles even more of the basics. Either way, we were all new players once, and I've never heard of anyone being confused on how to search their screen for something like a pickup prompt.

I can understand the frustration with character builds though. My first go at building a character was awful, but those reset passes came in handy later, as by that point I had read what each of the skills affected, and now my builds deal massive amounts of crit, and dps damage. And that's with only moderately decent affixes. That's actually my next task, is figuring that out, and maximizing my output. That said, all of this isn't impossible to learn. It just requires a bit of patience, and will power. The Old saying goes, nothing in life worth doing comes easy, and I'd like to believe that can, and should extend to games. Games that force critical thinking skills, and give players a challenge, and that are engaging are where I live.

@Anarchy-Marine said in Game not new player friendly:

When I started playing about a year ago when it first hit consoles, I followed the tutorial, and was only slightly confused on how the sub pallet worked, but I used the User Interface to figure it out. Took me literally ten seconds to learn the entire UI. @dllindsey12 You say you were focused on the items on the ground, then why didn't you notice that there was no UI prompt selecting the item? That's gaming 101. All pick ups give you a UI prompt. Doesn't matter the game. That's the point of a UI, it's an interface that allows the User to figure out how to manipulate items in a game. Is this your first time playing a game in general? Because the tutorial is the easiest part of the game. There's also a NPC in the gateway area that handles even more of the basics. Either way, we were all new players once, and I've never heard of anyone being confused on how to search their screen for something like a pickup prompt.

I can understand the frustration with character builds though. My first go at building a character was awful, but those reset passes came in handy later, as by that point I had read what each of the skills affected, and now my builds deal massive amounts of crit, and dps damage. And that's with only moderately decent affixes. That's actually my next task, is figuring that out, and maximizing my output. That said, all of this isn't impossible to learn. It just requires a bit of patience, and will power. The Old saying goes, nothing in life worth doing comes easy, and I'd like to believe that can, and should extend to games. Games that force critical thinking skills, and give players a challenge, and that are engaging are where I live.

with the skills...im upset because i like support type characters and the "light mastery" increases the potency of light techs. same for the other support techs. i ended up putting points into those skills and afterward i found out that resta, deband, shifta, megiverse, zanverse, and zonverse all arent affected by it. so now i need a respec. as for the first part, im used to games putting that interface pretty close to the item itself or auto looting items. so it was surprising to see it all the way in the left corner when i found it. and the main point of this post is that certain things can be explained better in game. and just from being a new player and my perspective, i dont expect the learning curse to be extremely easy. but i also dont expect it to be extremely difficult either.

I'll say that pretty much no mmorpg is new player firendly. There's a ton of systems to learn and things thrown or not thrown in your face. Though having said that I'll just point out that error lies between keyboard and chair. As a new player you should be doing everything you can to figure things out. Read tutorials, press buttons, explore the menus and systems, ask for help if you're stuck. We're also long in the digital era where you have access to guides both written and video. It's your own damn fault if you refuse to do basic research. The learning curve for pso2 isn't difficult, you just messed up and bitched over a minor problem. Coming onto the forums and getting uppity over it doesn't do you any favors. Espically when other players try to be helpul and you still get nitpicky over it. Best thing now it to let it go. You made a mistake, you needed some help. Ask for it, get it, move on and stop whinning that the game doesn't do every little thing you want it to just for you.

@Sparhawk said in Game not new player friendly:

I'll say that pretty much no mmorpg is new player firendly. There's a ton of systems to learn and things thrown or not thrown in your face. Though having said that I'll just point out that error lies between keyboard and chair. As a new player you should be doing everything you can to figure things out. Read tutorials, press buttons, explore the menus and systems, ask for help if you're stuck. We're also long in the digital era where you have access to guides both written and video. It's your own damn fault if you refuse to do basic research. The learning curve for pso2 isn't difficult, you just messed up and bitched over a minor problem. Coming onto the forums and getting uppity over it doesn't do you any favors. Espically when other players try to be helpul and you still get nitpicky over it. Best thing now it to let it go. You made a mistake, you needed some help. Ask for it, get it, move on and stop whinning that the game doesn't do every little thing you want it to just for you.

im not getting nitpicky as you say. im complaining that the game adds a very important feature/aspect of the game at the improper time. i did as you said, i started pushing buttons until i figured it out myself instead of most games where people will first go to the forums asking these questions. i actually took the initiative to do it myself without asking other players for help. if i couldnt figure it out myself, i would have googled it. again the point of this post is to state that they dont word things properly for the new player to understand and they dont add the important details until after its possibly too late by then. the player has figured it out by time they tell you. in a previous post, i mentioned that in the tutorial they ask you to break the box but dont tell you how to pick up the items. that would have been the perfect/proper moment to add in a key detail. but instead the game devs decided to omit that information until the very end of the tutorial which in itself is not right at all. its basically a big slap in the face. not everyone can notice EVERYTHING on a screen. we arent all perfect. and i admitted that i was so focused on trying to pick up the items that i didnt see the icon in the top left corner. i own that. but at that moment, thats when the game devs should add that information about picking up items. not the "figure it out" answer they give you. if it wasnt something important to add, they would have never added it to the tutorial. but seeing as they did add the information, they thought that it was something that NEW PLAYERS ought to know. but again, the problem is they added this information at the absolute wrong time because by then, the player has possibly already googled it or looked at key bindings (if it actually said pick up items there) or asked a friend who had played the game already. or like myself. i pressed a few keys and got it right after a few tries. the box in the left corner isnt in the most noticeable area of the screen. all the games ive played, the boxes are right in the middle of the screen on top of the item when you hover your mouse/reticule over it.

first of all PSO2 is pretty new player friendly you don't need to rush anything in this game and even the game has tutorials for almost all classes that teach most of the basic and advance functions, so your point of not putting a giant window in the middle of the screen telling you to press "X" button to get your loot is dumb even more when is appearing right at the top left corner also Sega is not expecting that PSO2 is the first game you had ever player, after all ASWD is being a standard of keyboard and mouse commands for years and pretty much every single game with that standard use the exact same buttons with the exact same functions.

now with the elemental bonus not affecting support techniques is pretty obvious why they are not affected, those techniques work already with percentage base and only Resta is the one affected by the caster tech points, also you don't need to reset your skill points Techer uses the elemental skills bonus for damage after all techniques are used to change wand main element. Also forget going full support that will only make you a dead weight, most classes have means to heal thenselves and PSO2 doesn't have the standard roles here all classes are focused in doing damage all the time.

@Jamesmor but...i feel good being able to save people from certain death with my 700+ resta healing 😞