Game not new player friendly

As the title suggests, this game is not new player friendly. Being a rather new player myself, when i first started the game i didnt even know how to pick up items. I ended up trying a few things i learned from other games and figured it out for myself. and no the keybindings didnt help either. the letter E said access and that really could be anything from opening doors to pushing buttons. i like to play healers in game, and when i found techter i was in love. however force/techter "masteries" are not worded in a way that they would explain that they dont affect support skills. by day 3 (im like on day 7 or 8 now) i was already ready for a skill reset as now ive realized ive wasted points in the mastery skills thinking they were going to buff my heals and support spells. they dont. i love this game, but those are just a few of the things ive noticed that could be improved. at least add in that you can pick up items with the letter E if on keyboard and whatever it is on controller. and reword the mastery skills so that they dont say "boost potency of (insert element) techniques". something like "boost potency of non support (insert element) techniques" would be better. its just me, not sure what everyone else thinks about this though.

I can understand your frustration as I've heard other people with similar complaints, but you'll get used to it. There's also plenty of resources out there for learning the game, but I'd suggest finding a new player friendly alliance or discord.

So something you should know is that this game is primarily about DPS, sure Techter Shifta/Deband is really really great, but you would be useless in an MPA or party if you're not also doing damage (which techer can do a LOT). The element specific skills in the skilltree shouldn't be written off, they're good.

@Laep ive had a taste of the techter damage. i hit for over 700k with heavy hammer yesterday XD but i dont write those skills off. i know they are good skills, would have just liked a better explanation of those particular skills

@dllindsey12 said in Game not new player friendly:

when i first started the game i didnt even know how to pick up items

I'm confused. The prologue tutorial included a part telling you how to break a green container and use one of the three Monomate it drops.

@Miraglyth correct. it just didnt tell you how to pick up said items. i was confused then i just tried F first, then E and it worked.

did you have the same trouble walking? how about jumping? or using escape to pull up the menu?

because its pretty remedial in ANY game to go to key bindings and find what does what.

at least on KB/M you don't have to mess about with extra buttons for using items from the sub like controller does.... hmm maybe the Jaguar was right with its pad back in the day PMSL

This game takes control for itself whenever it decides it wants to, I was about to sign in for a challenge mode session with friends when it decided it would be nice to do a mandatory scan of my files before I can launch. (currently happening) LoL ...Even the veterans are surprised at times man.

@dllindsey12 said in Game not new player friendly:

@Miraglyth correct. it just didnt tell you how to pick up said items. i was confused then i just tried F first, then E and it worked.

The entire point of that is to learn how to pick up items, and since it conveniently tells you which button to press to interact with the item, what was confusing about that? Obviously you can't know what to do until you do it, and since tutorials purpose is to teach you, what was the problem again?

We're at the end of the life cycle for this game. What did you expect?

Quite true; and all experience is relative. If it's your first MMO, it would be quite daunting to understand (took me at least 1-2 weeks to understand the entire game), but if you've played maybe over 3 different MMOs (for at least 1 month to 1 year each), it's easy to pick up on it. 🙂

@captain-codpiece no need to be rude here. also in the controls in the keybindings (if you actually read what i posted earlier in which you must not have fully) it states E is for access. that can mean accessing doors of something else. this game isnt new user friendly as they dont word things well enough to understand it.

I'm a bit confused. Even without going into the keybinds, if you have the game set to Keyboard and Mouse controls, the prompt when you are near an item should say "Pick up with [E]", like this:

gwd5vb3yoc251.png

@Yggranya pso20210220_184937_001.jpg i decided to go back through the tutorial just to prove you wrong. this is the most they tell you. they say "destroy the box" and then tell you to use a heal item. nothing more. nothing less

@AndrlCh said in Game not new player friendly:

I'm a bit confused. Even without going into the keybinds, if you have the game set to Keyboard and Mouse controls, the prompt when you are near an item should say "Pick up with [E]", like this:

gwd5vb3yoc251.png

that is true. but a new player may not notice that in the corner. which is why i say that the game isnt new player friendly.

edit: i will admit that when i first started playing i didnt even notice it was there. i was so focused on the items on the ground and how to pick them up that i didnt even see that up there. truth be told, i didnt notice it was there until about day 3 into the game

edit 2: i have a new screenshot. i had to go back through the tutorial for it. but this kinda upset me when my the first thing i saw was picking up items was the letter E. i had already figured it out before i got to that area so i closed it. so i will admit its my fault i didnt see the part about the icon being in the top right corner. but still this information could have been great when we first destroyed the box. not after we defeat the first boss. pso20210220_233858_000.jpg

This is something that people who have played Mario Maker and made the design classroom lessons know:

Do not expect EVER for anyone playing to figure something on their own unless you already taught them in a simpler way. If your audience is "anyone".

That's the first time you see an item. And a confusing instruction to heal up appears showing an input. People already experienced on these types of games might know how to react in this situation (approach the shiny first, see the input on the corner up there) but if anyone's entry is this game, some hoops are expected to happen on the gameplay logic as they will think that at that distance it is safe to use the "good green looking healing item".