If I start playing Pso2 now, can I carry progress to NGS?

Hi all! I read the faqs briefly and understand that character progress are not carried over to NGS. I hope I read correctly.

If that’s the case, I should wait until NGS release to play right? I’ve played the SEA version of Pso2 before.

Thanks!

Yes, cosmetics and weapon camos transfer over. Gear does too but how meaningful that is depends on the amount of power creep NGS ends up with.

Only gears and cosmetics transfer Though there is a change in gears rarity depend on which version you're playing, 13-14* in pso2 = 3* in NGS for example

Cosmetics are good but unfortunately won't receive and upgrade, but they'll revive some of the old outfit as NGS version which higher polygon count, mesh and texture while pso2 outfit will stay the same. So either play now or wait seem doesn't matter

@Ryoga said in If I start playing Pso2 now, can I carry progress to NGS?:

Yes, cosmetics and weapon camos transfer over. Gear does too but how meaningful that is depends on the amount of power creep NGS ends up with.

They've mentioned that 15*s in PSO2 will convert to 4*s in NGS, which is the highest star rating available for NGS at launch. So they should be serviceable, but they'll probably still be outclassed by high-end 4*s (and failing that, whenever the first update drops).

But if you're just starting out now, you probably won't make much progress in gear to be worth it. If you do 5 recommended quests before Feb 16th though (easily doable at basically any level) there's a campaign going on atm that'll spit out a few 15* weaps at you (gunblades you can convert to w/e weapon type you want) for minimal effort, so it might be a good idea to carry that over into NGS at least: https://pso2.com/news/announcements/campaignsjan2021p2

Besides that, not much other reason unless some PSO2 cosmetic comes out that you love enough that you think you'll carry over into NGS, despite it not being as graphically amazing.

@Akonyl said in If I start playing Pso2 now, can I carry progress to NGS?:

They've mentioned that 15s in PSO2 will convert to 4s in NGS, which is the highest star rating available for NGS at launch.

That's beside the point, i was talking about power creep in general. They said that they're going to rework weapon potentials for NGS and if the gear progression in NGS would be mostly horizontal then your basegame PSO2 weapons would always be viable choices (remember in PSO even non rare weapons were viable endgame options) instead of just for the beginning period of NGS. But if they decide to go the vertical route then we're going to get the same power creep / almost everything except for the current endgame is "dead content" dumpster fire we have rn which ofc. would also render your base game weapons useless.

Yeah, that's fair. But I'd be surprised if NGS went with horizontal gear progression with how vertical PSO2 was, so I'm just operating on the idea that once post-launch NGS weapons hit they'll start to make PSO2 weapons obsolete pretty quickly.

When they say they're reworking potentials / converting PSO2 potentials to NGS potentials, I figure it just means that the weapon potential system is still mostly similar, but just not a 1:1 conversion (kinda like the affix changes). Could be it has something to do with a more horizontal prog than PSO2, but that wasn't the feel I got from the announcement.

@Nope21 said in If I start playing Pso2 now, can I carry progress to NGS?:

Only gears and cosmetics transfer Though there is a change in gears rarity depend on which version you're playing, 13-14* in pso2 = 3* in NGS for example

Cosmetics are good but unfortunately won't receive and upgrade, but they'll revive some of the old outfit as NGS version which higher polygon count, mesh and texture while pso2 outfit will stay the same. So either play now or wait seem doesn't matter

Honestly with how many people grind Molten Core and such for transmog items. I'd say cosmetic in PSO2 will still find some kind of value.

It still have value like you said, they won't remaster every cosmetics, just selected few percentage

It's just they won't look as shiny as NGS cosmetics, but it will still look good enough for the part