Why are "trap" characters considered okay?

I'm baffled by this. There is so much censored in this game that doesn't need to be (like height and certain clothing), yet they don't forbid something that is akin to calling a black person "The N Word"? Is Sega so oblivious that they don't realize how harmful "trap" is to the trans community and how hateful a word it is? One of my friends is trans and ended up quitting the game after seeing so many offensive "traps". For the record, "trap" is a slur against trans people, a statement that they're not actually the gender they identify as and are actually trying to "trap" people. It's disgusting bigotry, and I find it ridiculous that we can't even say harmless words like "@$$" or "$hag" without getting censored, but this, which is actually offensive to an entire minority, seems perfectly okay. PSO2 seems to be an anti-trans game that is not a safe place for my trans friends. Please deal with this, Sega. The attacks on the LGBT have gone far enough.

Question: What exactly do you propose to be done regarding the word "trap"? It's a word with a lot of legitimate uses, and I'm assuming you're LGBTQ yourself, you would also agree that there is nothing wrong with creating a feminine male character or a masculine female character.

Yes, people who unironically use the word trap to refer to trans people or feminine males are probably terrible people (I'm also LGBT fwiw), but I'm not so sure what can be done in this case.

Rangers can't lay their traps no more

@Matt True, I don't have problems with the "look". It's using offensive words and stereotypes I don't like. I'm a lesbian (which btw is also censored in game, making the game MORE anti-LGBT), and face hate from my other lesbians (who are TERFs) because I accept trans-women as women, so having to deal with such bigotry in-game makes it all the harder, especially when friends quit because of it. I dunno what can be done about it. Maybe censor the word "trap" seeing as there are plenty of other innocent words censored already. Maybe I just wish the community itself would make a stand and not be anti-trans; I was banned from the PSO2 Discord over fighting with them about this very topic and declaring that "trap" is no different than the N word (except I spoke both words completely and got banned for hate speech). It's disgusting and it makes the game less fun for me to deal with such bigotry. Bad enough this is a major problem in the United States, but it's in my gaming now as well. People say "don't bring politics into the game", but that isn't possible with stuff like this around. They brought politics in first, after all. Maybe I just wish the PSO2 community wouldn't be so rotten overall.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I am DEMANDING, not asking, that lesbian be removed from censorhip in this game. You've no right to do this, Sega. You are hating on and marginalizing the LGBT with this crap. Otherwise, does anyone know how to mod the game files to get rid of censorship?

@Matt point is im trans and this is used as a slur aganst me commenly. u cant go around saying the n word. well my bff is also trans and black and he says iboth hurt equily. im trans and this is not ok. the poster is my girlfriend and is standing up for me. several of my trans friend i invited to play have stoped due to the influx of the word trap used.

I didn't realise lesbian was censored, that is definitely something that should be lifted. "Gay" was (and maybe still is) censored on the JP version, but this was lifted on the Global version since having gay as a censor word is pretty bad optics.

@PyroSaphuron said in Why are "trap" characters considered okay?:

@Matt point is im trans and this is used as a slur aganst me commenly. u cant go around saying the n word. well my bff is also trans and black and he says iboth hurt equily. im trans and this is not ok. the poster is my girlfriend and is standing up for me. several of my trans friend i invited to play have stoped due to the influx of the word trap used.

No I completely agree, people who use the word "trap" in reference to people are shitstains of the highest order, but I'm not so sure that censoring the word is really the solution here as the word itself has many other references.

Perhaps we should just be able to report such people and get them disciplined on a strikes system. One week ban for first offence, two weeks for second, permanent for third. That way the people affected by this can do the policing and just send it off to Sega to handle. I dunno. I just know that... something has to change. The community is freaking toxic. I laughed seeing that post from the PSO2 Discord accusing some Alliance of pretending to be them and being toxic, that Discord is more toxic than just about anything in PSO2. Like I said, I literally got banned for this exact topic.

I'm starting to think all online gaming communities are inherently and deeply toxic along with all social media. I see nothing positive going on anymore.

Doesn't this game have a blocklist function?

I see what is going on here! Misdirection tactics!

Greetings!

Thank you for bringing this up to our attention. Rest assured that we will forward this to our relevant team.

@RainGnyu What are you talking about? Did you wander in here by accident or post in the wrong topic?

No! This disciplined on a strikes system you are suggesting feels like a trap! Something you can use to exploit for insidious means.

On pixiv, the term for "Trap" was re-translated into its japanese form, because no one could agree on what it should be called. It was first called "Man's Daughter," then it was called "Trap," now it's called "otokonoko" because I guess they don't want to deal with it anymore.

I've started using Effeminate Male more so now because people seem to get up in arms whenever I use the word "trap" since I always used it unironically / without a joke. Since I didn't know better, as that's what the Internet always called them.

👀 I'm just here grabbing my 🍿 .

@Teasa Share me some man, there is a simplified word for it but I feel it's different, it's something else, not the good kind