Augmenting and Affixing made me quit.

My limited knowledge of the worst system I have ever seen in any game has made my gear worse than they were before.

The augmenting and affixing system is awful, and quite frankly I hate this entire game because of it. I have no desire to try and farm things to improve my gear, I didn't want to upgrade anything because of how stupidly complex and vague it is, and when I finally did try it I ended up downgrading myself instead. I'm not going to sit here for hours and try and figure this out step by step. This should not require hours of research and 30+ page long guides to try and get a basic understanding.

See you guys in NGS if they fix it. I refuse to play a game that has such an awful upgrading system.

Practise with some junk first.

@Doom-Smack The fact that that is even a useful suggestion highlights one of the many problems with the system.

Based on what you have posted before, I fail to see that you had actually put any effort in learning the system. Just looking at the S grade augment thread you made and gave up trying to get Atlas EX S4 onto Rivalate. S grade augment transfer is a 100% transfer rate with no failure rate.

I also wonder if you actually enjoy the game as you are always posting why should you be doing content - why do that urgent quest, why do any quest thats not Zig related etc. You're right, you don't have to do anything - but let's not take away the fun of others. The system that you dislike so much is enjoyed by some over the years, creating unique personal gear based on their preferences, stacking the affixes they want. The drops from urgents might be junk to you, but it is useful material to others. Whether it is for affixing, or breaking them down for crafting materials, or just trading them in for excubes or grinders for meseta.

@HarmlessSyan Probably because the hours I have put in to learn the system have brought me no closer to understanding it in the slightest. It's awful. Kudos to those that get it. I don't, and it's entire existence is a massive detriment to the enjoyment I get out of the game.

And yes, I ask those questions because it seems the game likes to trivialize its own content and make it practically worthless. If there is no clear and obvious benefit to running a large amount of content, then why run it at all?

Once you understand it a bit it goes from complicated to just tedious as hell since you need to plan affixing out over multiple items before going for the final part which is affixing the weapon you want to spruce up. General rule of thumb is that most things need 3 of the same affix to be reliably transferred onto something else or upgrade into the better version of an affix. There are exceptions to this, with specific -Soul affixes improving the affix chance of certain affixes, though for the most part that doesn't matter anymore since Dim weapons have the stat VI affix as their augment factor when you enhance them to +35. The ones that get the most complicated are the Super Affixes (I don't know if that's the actual terminology used by the community or not, but lets use it for now) which are the ones introduced in episode 1-3, episode 4, episode 5 and episode 6.

For the episode 1-3 one (Astral Soul), you can just get a ray or union weapon for weapon affixing instead which helps significantly streamline things (for posterity it takes one Soul of Darkness affix which shows up on stuff from the Profound Darkness fight, along with four Astral Catalysts, meaning you need a bare minimum of 4 weapons/units to make it).

For episode 4's (Aether Factor) you need 1 Aether Soul (combine 2 of the following affixes: Fullvegas Soul, Escarde Soul and Eastern Soul. Or I think it was 2, might be all 3?) and 4 Factor Catalysts (Deus Factor + Mother Factor + Yamato Factor). Fortunately with the release of Ship Infiltration it's a lot easier to make due to certain Lamia series weapons having Factor Catalyst for its augment factor (the wired lances one I believe) and also have 1,2,3 S affix slots. (More on those at the end) Aether Soul is thankfully not too hard to get the materials for, but may require running tokyo/vegas expeditions and possibly Deus/Mother triggers or the Whistle of Chaos recommended quest when it comes up on rotation.

For episode 5 (Mana Reverie) it's one Omega Memoria (Omega Reverie + Historia Soul + Fabula Soul, with the latter being the hardest to come across) and 4 Reverie Catalysts (Elder Reverie + Luther Reverie + Appregina Reverie + Gemini Reverie + Persona Reverie). Omega Memoria sometimes will show up on items dropped by Omega Luther on Ultra Hard and tend to be at 7-8 slots already (for weapons), which may be your best bet rather than try to farm Fabula Souls. Reverie Catalysts have many sources outside of making them yourself while also not being too troublesome to get the materials for considering Persona can drop items with any of the reveries on them. In addition to this, some Lamia series weapons have it as their augment factor along with the Profound and Starquake weapon series, making the super affix Mana Reverie quite a bit easier to make than the rest (though still troublesome on units, but to a lesser degree)

For episode 6 (Absolute Glare) I'm not too sure beyond it following the same formula as episode 5 where there's 3 that combine into one and 4-5 others that combine into the other which you need 4 of total. We can't make it quite yet though, not until we get the last 5 levels of divides.

Now for actually reducing time and resources wasted, there are newer affixes that have an S and a number beside it (I'm not sure if they're called S affixes, but nobody has corrected me yet) that can be slotted into weapons that have a corresponding slot (second tab of the weapon details) and have a 100% success rate to transfer no matter what, which reduces the amount of potential affixes failing to transfer when trying to increase the slots on a weapon for example.

Ultimately it takes some experimentation, but fortunately you can feel it all out without comitting to actually affixing an item by selecting some equipment to affix together, checking how it affects the success rate % and so on.

This is a bit of a hefty read but I hope it helps you make sense of the system.

edit: I spent way too long writing this, holy crap, but still, hopefully it helps someone out there.

Wow thank you guy! This improves my knowledge base and my enjoyment!

Thank you! Even I was getting frustrated!

As soon as i learned about this idiotic "system", i decided that i won't bother with it. The people who enjoy claiming that they are "elite" or whatever since they wilfully subject themselves to this crap can keep it. Won't be allowed participate in highest difficulty things by people? Well, i guess the developers can pretend to wonder why the niche thing is niche, again. Funny that NGS is going to change it. I guess even these fools can gain an epiphany eventually. Only took 10 years to admit it sucks. Hmph.

I don't quite understand why this particular system is so "hard" to grasp. The way I handle affixing is of two particular processes (upslotting and affixing).

When you are upslotting you want purely junk affixes and anything to guarantee your success rate including S-Class Special Abilities/S-Grade Augments (SSA's/SGA's) and Special Ability Factors (SAF)'s.

For example, if we are talking about something like an Atlas EX weapon, you have four SSA slots and they should all be filled when possible. You can then load them up with junk affixes to push it up to five slots, then to six, to seven, and then to eight slots (eight slots being the biggest gamble). When you get to this point you want to research and figure out what abilities you want (damage, HP, PP, and the likes) and because you only have to worry about four you can look for recipes to create and get the affixes you want. Then you should do everything you can to get this to 100% because if not you have a large chance of having to repeat the upslotting process.

The key thing to remember is that when you are affixing you only have one shot to get it done correctly. This means when we get Guardian Soul (the best soul in the game) you only have a 10% chance of correctly synthesizing it which can become extremely tedious if you don't have the spare meseta/fodder to repeatedly attempt synthesis on these riskier abilities. You do not want to attempt "mixing" upslotting and affixing because that pulls your chances down for everything that isn't an SSA and will only cause headaches if you attempt to gamble, fail, and get frustrated because you never had any spare fodder to continue resynthesizing rare Souls/Facors/Reveries/Glares with.

When you are talking about SSA transfers and the likes, there is a separate "Transfer S-Class Special Abilities/Transfer S-Grade Augments" menu that lets you pick two weapons and swap SSA's between compatible weapons and slots. This is painless and lets you keep what stays on the weapon and what gets discarded but if an item ends up with one less slot than it did before because you moved an ability expect it to get downslotted.

Units are trickier to affix because you only have one SSA slot on them and getting them to eight slots isn't so hard - but successfully getting six or seven other abilities installed successfully can be a pain. Most people I have seen end up building six-slot units and use Augment Transfer Passes and an ability capsule so they can swap the six abilities over between units, keep the SSA, and also install an additional ability.

I am not as interested in NGS. Yet, sorry to see you go. I think the affixing system is interesting, but they could probably make it less punishing, but not entirely without consequences either. I've enjoyed it every step of the way and accomplished my goal. I do agree that having to RNG FORCE to 8slots is inconvenient. I will say, that I felt entirely happy once I accomplished this. It's different then being satisfied with a purchase. I was satisfied with myself for finally reaching the result I wanted.

@Furious said in Augmenting and Affixing made me quit.:

My limited knowledge of the worst system I have ever seen in any game has made my gear worse than they were before.

The augmenting and affixing system is awful, and quite frankly I hate this entire game because of it. I have no desire to try and farm things to improve my gear, I didn't want to upgrade anything because of how stupidly complex and vague it is, and when I finally did try it I ended up downgrading myself instead. I'm not going to sit here for hours and try and figure this out step by step. This should not require hours of research and 30+ page long guides to try and get a basic understanding.

See you guys in NGS if they fix it. I refuse to play a game that has such an awful upgrading system.

I definitely see where you're coming from, true endgame affixes are way too complex. I won't bother with things like mana rev, or things that require transfer passes to accumulate.

I'm kinda guessing the bad UI and affixing are why this game took so long to come west.

You can check the wiki for SAFs and exclusively use those, you'll get a competent if not minmaxed amount of stats. SAFs are always 100%, but you need the source weapon to have enough slots(sux) AND at max level. I take like 30 mil to upslot to 8... so I just stop at 7..

Even just checking for safs can take an obscene amount of time. It's not fun..shame on Sega. Combined with the typical Japanese interface, but made worse by being console-ized... game's pretty miserable lol

TBH, to me, the worst thing about the game is actually the console-ized controls. I'm used to MMOs with full key customization and 4x12 rows of hotkeys. Palette switching is death.

Affixing isn't hard, it's just a system to learn like in any other game. Based on the previous thread you made and your older comments it sounds more of a matter of you just not giving a shit about the game in general.

@Laep said in Augmenting and Affixing made me quit.:

Affixing isn't hard, it's just a system to learn like in any other game. Based on the previous thread you made and your older comments it sounds more of a matter of you just not giving a shit about the game in general.

Needing 3 copies to transfer ONE affix and needing to gamble to upgrade/evolve affixes is obscenely bad. And obscenely expensive. And stuff gets lost/misplaced because the UI is terrible. God forbid if you're trying to do it drunk or high!

I'd literally rather have an old school system where upgrades don't require a brain and literally hours of work and inventory micromanagement, but failure breaks the weapon permanently.

@Yggranya you know, PSO2 affixing evolved over the years. When it first came out, you were only allowed 2 fodders and the more complicated recipe weren't even possible. There is no guarantee NGS affixing will stay as simple as shown in the stream.

@Ren6617 PSO2 was originally announced for Western release in E3 2013. Unfortunately SEGA suffered great financial setback in 2014/2015 then went through restructuring and then project was basically abandoned (they kept the Western release website and social media up for a super long time though, just no updates). I don't think PSO2 would have came to the West without Microsoft backing and wanting to expand the NGS audience. I think rather than UI or affixing, it is more of money that PSO2 didn't come to the West earlier. And by the way, SEGA is going through horrible financial troubles again with COVID, posting 2 quarters of heavy losses - selling off nearly 200 management rights of game centers, asking hundreds of employees to quit (preparing severance packages for up to 650).