I think the dub is overall quite decent but.....

Despite usually preferring subs above dubs, i do actually think that overall the English voice actors did quite a good job, but there is a specific name that is annoying me to no end.

Why is it that there is not one single voice actor that is able to pronounce "Sukunahime"?

Wait, let me rephrase that....

Why is that every voice actor pronounces "Sukunahime" in a different fashion almost each time that they pronounce it during consecutive quests?

So far i have heard:

Sukuneyhime

SukunOhime

Sukunehhime

Sikunehime

Súkunahíme

I mean, it´s not a big deal overall but i am honestly curious as to what caused this.

Did they record the quests during different sessions and forgot about the way they said it in previous recordings or?

It's one of those ones that rolls off the tongue weirdly. The actual voice actress for said character I think is well suited on a somewhat related note.

@Redex said in I think the dub is overall quite decent but.....:

It's one of those ones that rolls off the tongue weirdly. The actual voice actress for said character I think is well suited on a somewhat related note.

Oh definitely, i do enjoy her voice, overall, i am enjoying the dub quite a bit. I think the voice actors, for the most part, did a great job, which is a pleasant surprise.

But i am confused because the name is composed of sounds that we also have in the English language and it is not a p articularly difficult combination of sounds.

*shrugs * It's like how Canadians sometimes pronounce "sorry" as "sore-ie" Just a lingual variant.

I'm guessing the un and the une pronunciations throw people off in the delivery of ahime, however their tongue is sitting in their mouth.

Xiera being pronounced Sierra and SHE-erra are also language accent variants.

On a similar subject - I still kind of snicker in Episode 3 when Matoi reintroduces herself as "It's me, Ma-toe-ie". Literally the one, and only time, anyone has ever pronounced her name like that.

TBH the only issue I have with the dub is that sometimes some of the characters are incredibly quiet. Well that and the general absence of voice tickets.

@Ryoga said in I think the dub is overall quite decent but.....:

TBH the only issue I have with the dub is that sometimes some of the characters are incredibly quiet. Well that and the general absence of voice tickets.

Yeah, same. Aside from those issues, I find the dub to be fine. It's no where as bad as the weebs (who swear by subs only every single time) claim it is.

@Blade-Syphon said in I think the dub is overall quite decent but.....:

On a similar subject - I still kind of snicker in Episode 3 when Matoi reintroduces herself as "It's me, Ma-toe-ie". Literally the one, and only time, anyone has ever pronounced her name like that.

I believe Filia also pronounces Matoi's name in a similar way in most of their interactions too. But yeah Idk why they pronounce it like Matwoy though in those instances.

Not really a fan of the dub in general but I will say english Quna concert is just as good and Eternal Encore is even a little better in english. It’s definitely not the worst dub I’ve ever heard.