Since the game has been out for almost a decade, is it possible to get a better CONTROLLABLE camera distance other than "polyp"? I want to zoom out as far with the regular camera as I can with the fixed camera.

So yeah, I know I can access premium distances which let me zoom out to a distance that I would normally be able to zoom out to in basically any other game, but I can't move the camera around. Instead of following me like it should, it snaps to a fixed and almost immovable location. I don't want that. I want to be able to zoom out and still control my camera, or are the cameras in this game only for insipid glamor crap and not to be used in any sort of practical or strategic manner?

i've got my own gripes with a camera that seems to flat out refuse to be aimed at the boss...

spending a lot of fights with bosses in actual fights with a camera

The camera feature is only used for taking better ingame screenshots. Its not meant to be used in combat. I agree the default camera for actual combat is fairly bad but the targetting is just so much worse. Hoping all of this stuff gets fixed with the new engine were getting before NGS hits.

If you play games long enough, you'll realize that the camera is always more or less terrible. Most developers try to avoid making it too bad by not doing what we have in PSO2, which is the horrible targeting system. Honestly i have never seen anything so important for combat that is so poorly designed. Enemy walks into a wall and you can still be locked on to it, although you can't attack it while it can attack you. Doesn't happen often, but it sucks. Not to mention that it refuses to aim at the giant enemy right in front of you if there are other enemies behind or around it, or anything really, like the random targetable pillars. Stand right in front if it's ugly mug, and target the tail for some reason. Also the reset that happens when a part breaks makes it just all kinds of fuckery.

An easy-to-install mod actually exists for the camera, but you didn't hear it from me. :^)

@NIC If it's the one I'm thinking of, it doesn't quite seem to work for me.

@Intanjible said in Since the game has been out for almost a decade, is it possible to get a better CONTROLLABLE camera distance other than "polyp"? I want to zoom out as far with the regular camera as I can with the fixed camera.:

@NIC If it's the one I'm thinking of, it doesn't quite seem to work for me.

Not sure which one you are using, but it's Pig's mod. Don't have it installed right now, but it has always worked for me.

Yeah if someone was able to make a mod to do this, there really should be a FOV slider in the game or something similar for the regular/combat camera. I assumed that would be complicated to add if there wasn't already an option to add it, but if a mod could add that I don't know why SEGA hasn't.

@Riesz said in Since the game has been out for almost a decade, is it possible to get a better CONTROLLABLE camera distance other than "polyp"? I want to zoom out as far with the regular camera as I can with the fixed camera.:

Yeah if someone was able to make a mod to do this, there really should be a FOV slider in the game or something similar for the regular/combat camera. I assumed that would be complicated to add if there wasn't already an option to add it, but if a mod could add that I don't know why SEGA hasn't.

To be fair, the game doesn't look that great when you zoom out further in most cases. Each part of the map is made up of squares, so I understand why they don't exactly want you to have a FOV slider. In fact, the FOV slider can actually zoom you out so far that you lose control of your character, as if the camera is taken out so far that your character disappears, if you jump - you get stuck until you zoom back in.

I know PSO2 doesn't exactly have cutting edge graphics or anything, but the FOV being tied to control of your character + the fact that taking the camera further out breaks the illusion of each area pretty quickly - I can understand why they are so restrictive with zooming out.

@NIC said in Since the game has been out for almost a decade, is it possible to get a better CONTROLLABLE camera distance other than "polyp"? I want to zoom out as far with the regular camera as I can with the fixed camera.:

@Riesz said in Since the game has been out for almost a decade, is it possible to get a better CONTROLLABLE camera distance other than "polyp"? I want to zoom out as far with the regular camera as I can with the fixed camera.:

To be fair, the game doesn't look that great when you zoom out further in most cases. Each part of the map is made up of squares, so I understand why they don't exactly want you to have a FOV slider. In fact, the FOV slider can actually zoom you out so far that you lose control of your character, as if the camera is taken out so far that your character disappears, if you jump - you get stuck until you zoom back in.

I know PSO2 doesn't exactly have cutting edge graphics or anything, but the FOV being tied to control of your character + the fact that taking the camera further out breaks the illusion of each area pretty quickly - I can understand why they are so restrictive with zooming out.

Yeah but there definitely are instances where having a bigger FOV would be really useful, like Defense OPs/Buster Quests and some AIS stuff too. Also some classes and skills would definitely benefit more from being able to change it than others. I know it would make some other classes more difficult to control, but like you can adjust the FOV only a small amount with the mod to get the effect of what's usually a much larger amount of FOV in other games.

I get that. Although the game is from 2012, and I think at this point the system isn't going to change (not at least until NGS) because of how everything runs. Even taking the camera slightly outside of the max in-game FOV breaks the shadows.

I honestly don't know how Sega feels about the FOV mod at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if they hated it because it involves changing a file. I would honestly download it though. If nothing else it's fun to play with, and I wouldn't say it's in the ballpark of cheating by any stretch (although purests would probably say it is), it's super simple to install, and also use.

I will say that it does make the game harder for classes that I play because of how targeting works though.

I mean they seem to have no issue with the PSO2 Tweaker which is basically an entire client (and the JP version translation option modifies even more), in fact there have been posts by the forum moderators that recommend instructions for using it because of all the issues with the MS Store version. And other mods have existed for PSO2 before now too (such as model replacements for cosmetics), so unless they decide to suddenly go out of their way to detect and punish people for changing things that aren't specifically a cheat, I don't think that should be an issue.

Obviously they'd of course punish people that modify things that would be straight up cheating like values of equips or levels or other similar things. But for a harmless mod, I think they have more important things to focus on, like the various types of bots (like the spammers and the ones that automatically list items at high prices and/or trade them for RMT), and whatever shop and trading exploits they keep having maintenances to fix.

@NIC That's the one. Either it doesn't work, or I have it installed wrong, because the sliders do nothing for me.

@Intanjible said in Since the game has been out for almost a decade, is it possible to get a better CONTROLLABLE camera distance other than "polyp"? I want to zoom out as far with the regular camera as I can with the fixed camera.:

@NIC That's the one. Either it doesn't work, or I have it installed wrong, because the sliders do nothing for me.

After you use the slides, and push the button - push the + key (or whatever you have saved as the camera buttons) on your numpad to change your FOV. Keep in mind that this doesn't work in areas where the camera is on a track such as Personal quarters.

@NIC No dice. I move the sliders, click where it says "Set Zoom" or "Set FOV", press the keys on the numpad, and it only has the default ones to choose from.