Augmenting and Affixing

Augmenting and affixing is the most convoluted, headache inducing, pain in the backside system I have ever seen as a form of gear progression. Kudos to those of you that make super awesome gear. It makes me want to not even farm the gear in the first place because it means I would have to affix it all to be halfway decent.

This one system is killing my drive to actively try and get better gear. 😞

@Furious I can understand the frustration as it took me awhile to get into affixing as well. However, I think folks here, myself included, would be happy to help with a recipe if you tell us what stats you'd like on your weapons/units. And if you're not sure on the stats to spec into, just leave the class/weapons you play and we'll figure it out!

To me it looks like they came up with this system just to cash in with affix boosters and I can't imagine it even having that much of an impact on the sales as the cosmetics are the main draw of the scratches anyways. A shame as this replaced one of my favorite inventory upgrade systems. The slot units they used in PSO for gear upgrades would have worked perfectly fine here.

@Ryoga said in Augmenting and Affixing:

To me it looks like they came up with this system just to cash in with affix boosters and I can't imagine it even having that much of an impact on the sales as the cosmetics are the main draw of the scratches anyways. A shame as this replaced one of my favorite inventory upgrade systems. The slot units they used in PSO for gear upgrades would have worked perfectly fine here.

Dunno exactly how it worked in PSO, but I doubt it's just done for affix boosters. RNG is a great way to hide the true cost of something (along with being addictive in general), and the cost/grind of affixing exists to make people buy scratch tickets, so they can sell the fashion items for meseta to fund their affixing (even if the scratches didn't include affix boosters), because to make affix fodder items you have to buy a ton of stuff from the market (unless you just grind your eyeballs off yourself). It serves as a way to tie the fashion and optimization parts of the game together (+ to drive more people to sell on the markets and possibly buy premium), and make sure people are always buying/selling the gacha costume stuff even if they don't themselves want items from the specific ticket.

Which understandably sucks, but as a F2P game based around monetization through gacha and banking on FOMO behavior, it's understandable why they do it.

This affix system is definitely a good meseta maker whether you are selling the base dropped affixes, the 10% success rate affixes or the finished guardian soul or components making it. During affix weeks, even fodders with no useful affix can fetch high price even though it has no useful affix on it as long it has good amount of slots. I prefer it this way rather than what other games like FFXIV where it is too easy to craft gear and selling it for barely the cost to make it in the first place.

It is the reason I can get many fashion items despite never bought any AC scratch tickets. I still buy premium and bought inventory/mag expansions for 1 character.

You don't need to affix to be "halfway decent". Just transfer a bunch of damage SGAs to your gear, maybe add Phrase Decay or Phrase Weak, and call it a day. Player skill and class understanding>base weapon choice>damage SGAs>flat stat affixes. Well, the weapon and SGAs might flip depending on what you're looking at, but flat stat affixes are almost always your last concern.

Good thing NGS is changing it, at least the only system to affix they showed so far looks pretty simple with you just adding more capsules to raise percent. I would bet you that won't be the only system we will have though, like PSO2 has several affixing methods.

I don't even mind the system too much in PSO2 anymore but I absolutely loathe the inventory management baggage it comes with, even if you don't affix much yourself it would be a shame to toss out some high slot valuable affix. After several runs of something and with banks full you have to be like "oh boy time to step into the actual most fun part of the game, inventory management for the next hour."

I am (hopefully) happy that NGS is changing affixing. Though I don't think it'll affect PSO2.

You’re right, it is headache inducing. It’s been a while since I’ve seen such a clunky gear progression system. Hopefully it’s smoother in NGS.

Yeah, I simply can't bring myself to get invested into some of crazier affixing so I did a budget affixing at some point between epi 4~5 and will keep it until I find some affixing guide for episode 6, and even so I'm not willing to spend more than 50 mil on my entire gear since I've already noticed how the prices can escalate really quicly after a certain point for very smaller upgrades.

The other problem is the accelerated rate of everything. Can't tell you how many times I've seen "don't bother because X gear and Y weapon are about to come out!" and so on.

Either way, the affixing system is garbage.

Weapon Affixing is easy but Unit Affixing is what gives me a migraine cause I hate having to pay more for 3 sets of the things I want on a unit and in the case of Persona Reverie as an example I need 9 of them. as for it being a cash grab nah it is just a meseta grab since you can easily get 40% boosters from the Excube shop for 100 Excubes.

I can relate to the OP. Getting better tier weapons usually needs tedious grindworks, the need of affixing adds even more pain to that.

Still I'm fine with S-grade augments. These are well designed features I feel. Without them, I had quit affixing a long time ago.

I enjoy it.

@Ranmaru Doesn't make it any less of a convoluted and awful system.