Alliance name squatting

So I have a question for you all. It's a long story how, but my alliance changed names for a brief period on ship 2 (from Excellent Buns to Sour Pretzels). In that brief period, someone basically snagged the name, hasnt logged on once since and is just squatting on the name. It's literally just them and theres no way to reach them. Is it possible after a 30 day period for that alliance name to become available again or is there a way to reach out to support (the zendesk support here doesn't appear to work)?

While it may seem small, I would love to find a solution to this so I am no longer the Bun Blasphemer or the Punished Bun in my alliance. And there is also a small yet growing faction within my alliance debating ways to hex me in addition to having formed an insurgent organization within the alliance called the Cult of Buns.

Any assistance here to avoid disaster would be deeply appreciated. Until then, we are stuck as the Exceiient Buns and I as punished, blasphemer of bundom. 😞

@SPRosse01 I'm sorry to hear about your predicament and am tagging @GM-Deynger in the off-chance they can help.

My only suggestion would be to come up with a new name that the alliance likes almost as much as the original. It'll be harder now that a meme/trolling has emerged, but if you came up with Excellent Buns you can do it again! You could stay in Bun family with something like Bodacious Buns (alliteration ftw?), or you could try to play off another inside joke that will resonate with a lot of members. Either way, I'd probably bounce a few ideas off a trusted friend or two in the Alliance before pitching it to the group.

Edit: It's kinda fun to think of Bun names and I can't believe I missed easy ones such as Best Buns, Bestest Buns, Better Buns, Bountiful Buns, or even slight changes to the original like Excellent Bunz, Exece11ent Buns, Excellent 13uns, etc. You could also combine your names in honor of the history of the alliance and go with Sour Buns!

Shouldnt of changed your alliance name 😞

EDIT:

I should add more to this since it sounds very rude with only what i wrote.

Most games dont delete characters or remove character names, unless its been a LONG time. I had my wow character names finally taken away from me and it only took.. i think like 3-4 years?

Changing your alliance name means that you no longer wanted it. You regret your choice and wanted to change back, but someone else already took the name and is no longer playing? That is really a bummer, but this event happened because yall changed your alliance name. Learn a lesson is the best advice.

Yea, its more that the person that is squatting on the name seems to have basically just not used it and sitting on it. That's more the issue and for how long this change was for it was a brief thing. There wasn't a warning that we couldn't change it back immediately until after we changed the name and tried that a 7 day waiting period appeared. Or it wouldn't have happened.

As a whole it seems the system for alliances and the tooltips aren't well thought out.

If the other name was in use, that'd be fine and would deal with it. The problem is it's literally a squatter that popped in and snagged it when the system itself made no notice that we had to wait 7 days to change the name until after it had been done. To that end I've tried reaching out to that individual and cannot seem to reach them in any capacity. It just reminds me far too much of people that squat on an url domain for no other reason that to sit there.

@SPRosse01 said in Alliance name squatting:

Yea, its more that the person that is squatting on the name seems to have basically just not used it and sitting on it. That's more the issue and for how long this change was for it was a brief thing. There wasn't a warning that we couldn't change it back immediately until after we changed the name and tried that a 7 day waiting period appeared. Or it wouldn't have happened.

As a whole it seems the system for alliances and the tooltips aren't well thought out.

If the other name was in use, that'd be fine and would deal with it. The problem is it's literally a squatter that popped in and snagged it when the system itself made no notice that we had to wait 7 days to change the name until after it had been done. To that end I've tried reaching out to that individual and cannot seem to reach them in any capacity. It just reminds me far too much of people that squat on an url domain for no other reason that to sit there.

I'm pretty sure most games have a cool down for changing your username/guild/alliance name. As for the person "squatting" on your alliance name. Welcome to people being humans. Them's the breaks. You made a poor choice in changing your alliance name and payed for it. Next game yall go to at least now you wont make the choice of switching your alliance name for no reason and then regret it.

EDIT: Also do you know why people sit on url domains? its to make money down the road if people want it so bad.

EDIT EDIT: Sorry, thinking about it now. The only logical thing i can think of is that one of your alliance members is sitting on the name. Or someone that is close with you inside the game. Rough buddy.

I think once a person takes the name after you change it, you lose your 'rights' to it so to speak. It's the risk you took with changing it. Not what you want to hear, but it wouldn't be fair to that person 'sitting' on it for the name they chose to be revoked.

@Ashe-Kinsilla Yea, your last edit is what most people in the alliance are thinking due to the manner in which it happened. It's why I posted this because something seems off in general.

But as a last post on the topic, this is more about if there was a solution to this. So I hope no one took this as me complaining. Things are what they are. At the heart of it I was just curious if that 30 day inactivity for leaders also applied to alliances that were entirely inactive for the same period.

That's fair, I respect that you said that. I do hope that they return it to you, though.