Expert matchmaking,when?

I quite enjoy Primordial but I get some pretty awful parties. My last run was over 40 minutes. No moons left, half the party always dead. People died repeatedly even in first phase. It’s still new so people could improve but these runs are a doozie.

@Milk said in Expert matchmaking,when?:

I quite enjoy Primordial but I get some pretty awful parties. My last run was over 40 minutes. No moons left, half the party always dead. People died repeatedly even in first phase. It’s still new so people could improve but these runs are a doozie.

Longest run I've had was 28 minutes, and that is from pug runs. I guess I'm just lucky to never run into groups like these.

Although I have heard runs get bad after the early arrivals to the UQ. The people entering right away have been fairly nice so far.

I keep saying that the majority of NA players believe to be a lot better at the game than they actually are.

I wish parsers and DPS meters were legal and public and every player had access to them. Not to mock people or humiliate them, mind me, that should be bannable, but because it would help a lot of people to improve.

I feel like a major problem of the NA community is that for the most part it only has itself to compare and with no native tools to truly measure performance in the middle of a fight, or to truly know much one does, there is no incentive to get better.

People nag about elitists and elitist attitudes, but i feel like more than one poster in this thread would be surprised to find their contribution in the single digit/lower double digit %.

@IfrianMMO said in Expert matchmaking,when?:

I keep saying that the majority of NA players believe to be a lot better at the game than they actually are.

I wish parsers and DPS meters were legal and public and every player had access to them. Not to mock people or humiliate them, mind me, that should be bannable, but because it would help a lot of people to improve.

I feel like a major problem of the NA community is that for the most part it only has itself to compare and with no native tools to truly measure performance in the middle of a fight, or to truly know much one does, there is no incentive to get better.

People nag about elitists and elitist attitudes, but i feel like more than one poster in this thread would be surprised to find their contribution in the single digit/lower double digit %.

I had quite a few people who boasted their dps being really good, need stealth rings so they didnt have aggro all the time and complain about how long UQs take when ever they cant get into the alliance UQ. I did an alliance event where we spent some time in risk as a full group and I never once saw those people in top 3 when it came to overall damage. It's a little janky, but its better than nothing. All those people have suddenly stopped talking about having high dps or complain about slow UQ times.

@Milk Yeah, that really stinks as I think I've only had 1 run out of ~15 where half the party was dying regularly. As @SuccubusAlice mentioned, I've probably just been lucky so far. Other, less likely, possibilities include:

• Joining the UQ early (always either immediately or within the first 5 min)
  • Playing on Ship 1 where the average playtime/UH experience/gear level may be a little higher than Ships 3 or 4.
  • Joining in unpopulated blocks as my XBox can't handle the populated ones. It could be that, on average, players more interested in socializing, role playing, fashion, etc. on the popular blocks invest less in their gear and have less experience fighting endgame enemies. Again, this is just speculation and would be a theory about the average player on those blocks/with those interests as I'm sure the very best players also engage in similar behavior.

But, as I said at the start, I think random luck is the most likely answer. I'll be crossing my fingers that you get some good runs in the future to make up for the bad ones!!

I really wish Global had DPS meters, I wanna see how trash I'm doing.

I mean... just look at the other thread. Someone that can't do Phaleg nor Masquerade, can't solo Buster Quest even though it scales, only B ranks Divide bosses no matter step 5 or 30 but thinks they are top 15-20%.

@HarmlessSyan said in Expert matchmaking,when?:

I mean... just look at the other thread. Someone that can't do Phaleg nor Masquerade, can't solo Buster Quest even though it scales, only B ranks Divide bosses no matter step 5 or 30 but thinks they are top 15-20%.

This is what happens when you have no way to tell your actual skill level in a game.

In a 12 player mpa, if everyone contributed exactly the same, everyone would contribute 8.3% though, so, for someone to be able contribute more than lower double digit %, there must be others that contribute alot less.

High single digit % or low double digit % is above average in a 12 player group.

@NIC said in Expert matchmaking,when?:

Having played several games that at least tolerate or even include DPS meters (like GW2 and MS2) I can say that pretty much all DPS meters are only useful to some degree when it comes to gauging your own performance. Now some of them do a good job in regards to the limited informations they can provide (e.g. giving the player an in depth breakdown of their own DPS) but the most useful informations you need for comparison are usually missing: global statistics, which can only be provided (but are often times left out) if the meter comes as part of the game itself. The issue with your average group DPS meter is that the sample size is too low, meaning that while they show you where you stand within the context of the group in question you don't see where the upper / lower bounds actually are. Someone who is top DPS in their PuG could easily be at the bottom in an "organized guild run".

But yes, a well designed DPS meter would be a godsend for any player who seeks self improvement.

@Ryoga said in Expert matchmaking,when?:

Having played several games that at least tolerate or even include DPS meters (like GW2 and MS2) I can say that pretty much all DPS meters are only useful to some degree when it comes to gauging your own performance. Now some of them do a good job in regards to the limited informations they can provide (e.g. giving the player an in depth breakdown of their own DPS) but the most useful informations you need for comparison is usually missing: global statistics, which can only be provided (but are often times left out) if the meter comes as part of the game itself. The issue with your average group DPS meter is that the sample size is too low, meaning that while they show you where you stand within the context of the group in question you don't see where the upper / lower bounds actually are. Someone who is top DPS in their PuG could easily be at the bottom in an "organized guild run".

But yes, a well designed DPS meter would be a godsend for any player who seeks self improvement.

as long as there is an option to turn it off alongside the entire chat system since it will be top tier DPS shouting about how much they do compared to others.

I wouldnt see much of a problem with doing it in a way like how mining base does it, by that I mean show the top 3 players and keep your own damage hidden if below that, so lower players have something to compare against without being ridiculed.

@Ryoga said in Expert matchmaking,when?:

Having played several games that at least tolerate or even include DPS meters (like GW2 and MS2) I can say that pretty much all DPS meters are only useful to some degree when it comes to gauging your own performance. Now some of them do a good job in regards to the limited informations they can provide (e.g. giving the player an in depth breakdown of their own DPS) but the most useful informations you need for comparison is usually missing: global statistics, which can only be provided (but are often times left out) if the meter comes as part of the game itself. The issue with your average group DPS meter is that the sample size is too low, meaning that while they show you where you stand within the context of the group in question you don't see where the upper / lower bounds actually are. Someone who is top DPS in their PuG could easily be at the bottom in an "organized guild run".

Yeah, I already got that. I use this kind of stuff in FFXIV, and it's a godsend sometimes because of sites like XIVAnalysis.

@HarmlessSyan said in Expert matchmaking,when?:

This is what happens when you have no way to tell your actual skill level in a game.

There is actually its the title a player equips, starting from Anima thread rein master onwards story titles, even a new player who just started playing for a month can get those if only they are good no reason to not have it and not equip it unless they are really bad or have a better one which is unlikely, i always pay attention to titles of players around its an obvious way to tell good & bad players thats why im not surprised how a UQ runs i always know from the start, i guess you haven't played a lot of mmo's

I have never set a title in pso2 guess i must be shid then