Expert matchmaking,when?

The current JP expert matching requirement was aimed at ~25% of the players that is matching for the highest difficulty urgents back when it was level 90 cap and pre-13* units. They have not updated the requirement since and with new much more powerful gear and higher level cap, I can only imagine that it is much greater than 25% now. Definitely not a just "small" portion of the players.

@HarmlessSyan said in Expert matchmaking,when?:

The current JP expert matching requirement was aimed at ~25% of the players that is matching for the highest difficulty urgents back when it was level 90 cap and pre-13* units. They have not updated the requirement since and with new much more powerful gear and higher level cap, I can only imagine that it is much greater than 25% now. Definitely not a just "small" portion of the players.

Yeah, i mean, if i remember correctly you just have to S rank Phanatical Phantoms and Earth Destroyers (can be done in XH) with generous timings like 18 mins per boss, which is completely trivial in *13/*15 gear.

S rank is also time based which means you can even die a few times and still make it as long as your dps is even average.

@IfrianMMO said in Expert matchmaking,when?:

the skill gap between the JP and EN community is absolutely massive.

In regards to UQs/pugs, it really is not lol.

Thanks for the notice. The naming scheme didn't match the prior solo trigger.

So really then since the JP team has previously stated they expect 20% of the player base to qualify for this matching it could be that's what they're hoping for on Global eventually too. It's also possible a significant number of players have already reached this. Since we don't have access to this data, we have only one place to look to:

Would one of the GMs please enlighten us what % of players have the titles "Phantasmal Mother Goddess Conqueror" and "Mad Lethal Combat Fury"?

If they add expert matchmaking then I also want to see advanced matchmaking (with lower entry requirements) and master matchmaking (with higher entry requirements). If they added expert matchmaking with the initial goal that the top 20% doesn't have to deal with the rest of the playerbase then the average player saying that they don't want to deal with the bottom part of the playerbase would be just as valid of a concern to address.

@IfrianMMO said in Expert matchmaking,when?:

it´s not a top 1% elite club

And even if it was, so what? The logic behind it would still be the same.

Nah. Global ships are too small. You'd just have a bunch of half made teams. Maybe if they do a merge first. Or turn ship 5 into an expert block.

I am for one glad there is no expert requirement since the price to gear up sometimes is not worth it. I feel the playerbase on Global is too small for such a requirement to be put in place (I know I will get raged at for this) but someone has to say it we don't need elitist title requirements it is just gonna force all the negative things that come with it such as gear checking and enforcement of people into partying when they don't want to. Nobody should be forced into something like that as well as people who want to party up should accept such people exist since it is down to SEGA to encourage a change in attitude. So here is to hoping such a thing is not introduced into the game since I don't want to be forced into getting Expert Matching for people that can run UQs in a reasonable time.

@Sallian said in Expert matchmaking,when?:

I'm a new player so my perspective is different, what is the benefit of Expert Matching seems that most content in this game has no failure state it does not matter if your team sucks you still get completion.

Is it about faster clears? Urgent quests are hours apart and limited by time of day and I don't imagine people using triggers are doing it via randoms.

Is the player base large enough to justify this system its easy to get groups in urgent quests and the daily recommended quests but for everything else you are likely going in solo.

Would a Cofy quests locking off the highest difficulty behind some competency measure not solve this problem better than splitting the player base as a whole.

Also posting from my phone so sorry for anything amiss.

Without trying to get too much into spoilers, the "final boss" Emergency Quest has a death-state for players that prevents you from returning to a Gateship. This means the only way to continue is to be revived with a Moon Atomizer, to use a Scapedoll, or to abandon the quest. It will not surprise me on global that the instant-kills will throw players off and will end up weeding the fights out. On some of my first runs (non-Expert) I ended up being the only party member left for the final phase because I ran out of Moon Atomizers early on and was unable to revive others. I will not be surprised to see the initial salt that comes from this but the main advantage to Expert Matching (which is an opt-in and opt-out setting that you click on before you start a quest) is that you will be meeting with players who likely have a grasp and handle on what they are doing.

If you have ever gotten into an Emergency Quest with a leech (someone who stands in the corner away from the action) or someone who plays in a relatively lazy way (for example a Hero who doesn't dodge, doesn't counter, and relies solely on holding Rising Slash or repeatedly shooting Brand New Star without counters, or a Braver who insists on shooting Million Storm) the advantage to Expert Matching is that you will find much less of these players. It is not in circulation, but you will notice the difference for certain if this was a Buster Quest Emergency Quest or the Mining Base VR Defense Emergency Quest as your rewards are determined by the overall team's Mission Grade.

As an already retired player, I can still say that if Global had healthy player numbers, Expert match could have been a welcome addition. Or if we wanted to spice things up, instead of expert matching, lock the whole of UH for everyone until they do what would count as JP's expert match requirements. I feel that this would have been a more involved way to create an actual gate for the more dedicated and talented to achieve, and would leave casuals and the lazy (and perma-bad players like me) to stay on XH and either try to go up or stay comfortably in that difficulty for the life of the game.

This method would keep lower tier players from becoming burdens on UH content they actually cannot do but are allowed to try, while keeping experts from carrying groups of less prepared players simply because they wouldn't willingly drop a difficulty tier and miss on the higher mode's rewards, unless doing it to help friends to gear up. In other words, Sega could have used the difficulty tiers as actual gates to work for, instead of tossing everyone onto the highest difficulty and throwing the burden to carry onto the better prepared players.

BUT again, this would only work if the game has enough numbers, which I really doubt it has. Maybe this could be added to NG as a way to nudge players into getting better, or to choose what difficulty they want to stay at. Because on the current system, even though I did several UH 12man urgents and I feel I have contributed to the overall goal, I still felt that it wasn't the tier I wanted to be at. But with no real clear division, it was the tier everyone seems forced to go to.

@VanillaLucia said in Expert matchmaking,when?:

Without trying to get too much into spoilers, the "final boss" Emergency Quest has a death-state for players that prevents you from returning to a Gateship. This means the only way to continue is to be revived with a Moon Atomizer, to use a Scapedoll, or to abandon the quest.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone try and go back to the gateship and zerg back into the boss since I started playing at PC launch. I think most don't even know it exists as a viable option. I can't see that being a major problem in the long run for global. People are adjusting pretty fast. Yeah maybe the first week of it there might be some bitching but those who care already carry full sets of heal/revives and are pretty decent with mechanics.

@Sparhawk The boss I mentioned has quite a few noticeable "instant kill" warnings that will kill you regardless of your build (literally it is standing in the wrong spot at the wrong time or failing damage checks to stop the boss from doing their attack) and otherwise they hit very hard on their smaller attacks. It isn't exactly a hard fight but it is definitely one that I can imagine players will be upset about when they are forced to leave or be revived and if no one is able to revive anymore then it is easier to wipe and start over.

I know the "zerg back into the boss" strategy was definitely something I saw during Episode 4 against Deus Esca before people found out he had an incapacitation limit and during Episode 5 during the Black Fellwyrm fight as most players I remember playing with did not install Atomizer Lovers (L) to their units yet. In Episode 6 you would definitely see much less of it when we had automatic revives and much less failure states in the fights we have seen so far.

Hi all. Not sure on the number of players with that title, though it would be an interesting number to find. Also, I'll bring this up with the team.

@GM-Deynger Keep in mind that some people can do that, but haven't done so yet.

I’m on the fence about expert matching. I’ve played far too many games with gearchecks and build preferences to feel that thrilled about it but at the same time I can’t blame pro level players feeling resentful having to carry the party, either. It sucks even now wasting my moons on that one guy eating floor the entire fight. I’m sure it gets really annoying for even harder content.

But it concerns me, what about the medium skill level players? They’ll be forced to either “git gud” and pass the requirements someday or be stuck playing with leechers because all the good players won’t run outside of expert anymore. Hopefully they manage to join parties of a similar skill level, too.

@Milk Expert Matching requirements aren't impossible or so hard that few players get into them. In my experience, most "medium skill" players on the Japanese side manage to get through and then only go up (you only get better the more you play) from there. The super high-end teams will almost always be pre-made teams (Alliances, friends, groups from elsewhere, and coordinated efforts) but Expert Matching typically results in that players who can complete the tasks needed (soloing the ESC-A Falz [Mother] fight and the Deus ESC-A fight with an S rank and clearing "Madness and Phantasms" with an S rank) get to match up with other players who took on those fights and cleared them as well.

Medium-skilled players will end up being the players carrying the public sessions or jumping into Expert Matching (or both) as this game doesn't require high skill unless you were really playing for certain tricks (such as trying to skip whole boss phases together or maximize score for certain Emergency Quests). The game won't become impossible once it becomes implemented but it is a quality-of-life change for those who want to have smoother runs in general or for more casual players to play casually (and not be punished so much by the saltier high-reaching players).